Upgrading Mem on HP Compaq 8710w - Timings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Mem on HP Compaq 8710w - Timings

Upgrading memory on my mother-in-law's laptop HP Compaq 8710w with the mobile intel 965 chipset. Debating between two 4gb kits - F2-5300CL5D-4GBSA or the F2-5300CL4D-4GBSQ. Would this computer support the tighter timings and if so would she see any peformance increase. Price is about the same so that isn't an issue.

Thanks

Use CPUz to determine the timings and speed of the RAM currently installed in the laptop. Then purchase memory upgrade of same speed, voltage and timings.

Since you won't have any flexibility to change BIOS settings relative to speed, timing and voltage - you're easiest upgrade path (least headache) will be to upgrade to RAM with the same specifications as the RAM currently in the laptop. You'll be relying on the HP BIOS to correctly configure everything, so you want it to be as compatible as possible.

She will notice an increase in responsiveness and multi-tasking with the extra RAM, but timings one way or another will be nill.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

great advice - thanks

Comment

You're welcome. If you'll share your CPUz results I'll be happy to help you pick a compatible kit for her laptop.

Regards,
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
        WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
        WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
        Corsair TX950W
        Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Working...