Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advanced timing contols

Hello

I have GA-EP45-UD3L I just added another 4 gigs of F2-8500CL5D total of 8 gigs.
    I did have a slight problem with a system start stop loop, that was caused by Load Line Calibration was enabled . My question is in the Advanced Timing Control Settings you say set
    4 TRRD to 4
    4 TWTR to 4
    13 TWR to 8
    68 TRFC to 80
    4 TRTP to 4
    command to 2

when I had the problem I reset the BIOS, for some reason I thought the default TWR setting was already at 8 but now showed 13 as default so is better to be at 8 or 13 , I do have it at 8, and everything seems OK, just curious ?

Tuco

What are the last four numbers/letters of your RAM kit?

The CL5 in your part number indicates a CAS Latency of 5

So my best guess is that the true/correct timings for your RAM are 5-5-5-15 2T
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

F2-8500CLD5-4GBPK CL5-5-5-15 2.0-2.1V

As I already had 4 gigs of the exact same memory and timing was set 5 5 5 15 for a year without any issues, adding 4 gigs additional requires changes be made to MCH Core to 1.4 and in Advanced Timing Control TRFC should be 80, both of those had been done.

Again system seems OK, I'm just curious of the setting TWR in Advanced Timing Control, prior to BIOS reset my mind is telling me the default for TWR was 8 but now 13 maybe it was 13 dont know, but I do have it set to 8.

It seems we are bumping everything up to make this memory work good with this board , thats why im asking would the default TWR SETTING 13 BE BETTER THEN 8 ?

Tuco

Comment

Generally speaking (especially on Gigabyte boards) you shouldn't have to mess with the secondary memory timings whatsoever, especially if you're running the latest BIOS. All of the secondary timings are recalculated whenever you change the primary timings and memory frequency. But eight is tighter than 13, so if it runs fine, feels fine and passes memtest and occt, then you should be golden.
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        Corsair TX950W

Comment

wevsspot thanks for your quick responce.

I do have another question for if you can answer it.
          I see some people setting TRFC at 72 75 78 and the recommended 80, how critical is that setting for 8 gigs?

Tuco

Comment

In my experience if you set it too low RAM will start "disappearing" from your system at both boot detection and if you happen to get into Windows.

From the performance perspective a low tFRC doesn't gain you much, but it can sure cause instability issues if it isn't set right.

That is one of those settings where you should just let the spd detection of the ram and the motherboard BIOS sort it out unless it is just dead wrong to begin with.
            MSI Big Bang xPower x58
            Intel i7 950
            GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
            Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
            Corsair TX950W

Comment

wevsspot thanks again!

Im sure G-Skills spent allot time testing these setting and I can say using them seem to work well in my system, as i said before my reason for asking just being curious.
              I see people complaining they are having issues with their motherboards and memory and G-Skill tech tell them the settings and they put something else in. I was told when I was a kid if you dont ask you wont learn.
              thank you again for your feed back i was very informative.

Tuco

Comment

No problem Tuco.

Unless you're a memory expert or freak, about 99.9% of the time it's best not to mess around with those secondary timings at all. On occassion it might be necessary to tweak them to get stability, but anything beyond the factory programmed spd timings and bios programming should be left to the experts

Your best bet is to always start out just setting the four primary timings, command rate and DRAM voltage, and if everyone has done their job correctly you're usually good to go.
                MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                Intel i7 950
                GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                Corsair TX950W

Comment

tRFC 80 is sure to work for this memory and motherboard. You can try to lower, but you won't see much performance increase anyway, so 80 is typically where most people set it for 8GB.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

GSKILL TECH Thanks for your reply.

When I got my Motherboard last year I followed the instructions you had for UD3P, basically the same as my UD3L and again last week for the other 4 gigs, I praise you for that info.
                    The System seems to run OK with the other 4 gigs.
                    Thank you sir !!!!

Tuco

Comment

Working...
                    X