F2-8500 CL5D-4GBPK Ram Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500 CL5D-4GBPK Ram Placement

I received my ram last week They are the F2-8500 CL5D-4GBPK. My Motherboard is a Asus M4N82 Deluxe. The ram placement according the the Asus Website is Socket A or B. Which means these Ram stick can only be put in as one stick for any channel or 4 sticks on both the yellow and black dimm slots. My question is do I have to wait until I can get a second set of these Ram before I can use any of them. Or can I place 1 stick in the yellow socket and 1 in the black socket and still get to use what I have. I did place these in the yellow sockets, as they are dual ram, but apparently they wont work as dual channel on this board. Maybe they will work as single channel

You don't have to wait on another kit. As long as you have two memory modules (which you do) you'll need to install one module in DIMM_A1 and one module in DIMM_B1

Alternatively you could install one module in DIMM_A2 and one module in DIMM_B2, but Asus recommends that you populate the yellow slots for better overclocking.
    Last edited by wevsspot; 10-08-2010, 11:23 AM.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Thank you for your quick response to my question. And as you suggested I had already installed this ram in that same position, but my computer only responded with either blue screen stop errors or when attempting to boot into the OS I my screen went black and the computer was unresponsive. I did however follow the advice under the specs given on the site, for all the timings and voltages needed to run this ram on this board. And the previously mention was all that happened. Though I did notice that when I adjusted the HT voltage the the number value on my Bios screen went to yellow and the when adjusted the NB voltage the number value turned red. Maybe that is a hint for us. My thought was, could it be that my motherboard is not receiving enough power to handle the higher voltage settings? It's just a guess.This is the thread I followed for adjustments, http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1278
      Last edited by Quietruck; 10-08-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Good afternoon QT.

Sorry that I've been out of pocket, but I wanted to follow up and see how you were coming along on this issue.

While the color coded values in the BIOS are helpful, they aren't the end all.

Most of the time you can depend on what other users of similar hardware are doing at similar voltages, or the excellent advise from the admins and mods here.
        MSI Big Bang xPower x58
        Intel i7 950
        GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
        Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
        Corsair TX950W

Comment

What settings did you use when attempting dual channel? What CPU do you have?

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

My Problem,My Settings, My CPU

Hello again, Thanks for keeping in touch. I again spent several hours this past weekend attempting to get get this memory operative. But was not able. The setting I use were as I indicated on my previous response. http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1278
            These are what was on the forum, but I realize now the these were simply the setting that my motherboard bios reads these sticks to be set to, and not actual working settings. So other then that I was fairly limited as to what to do, in the there seems to be no other posts concerning this specific motherboard.I did attempt these setting also, http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=723. Since my motherboard is an AM AM2+ and AM3 board. But again, "No Go". I also used Memtest86 to check for errors. I never got passed test#5 without multiple errors , or the test freezing and I'd have to to reboot. My CPU is an AM3 Quad Core 965 Deneb 3.4MHz. My OS is Windows XP Pro. My power supply is an Mad Dog 550W Multimedia Sure Power. My graphic card is an EVGA 9800GT 512MB. and my motherboard is an Asus M4N82 Deluxe. As a side note I did notice the when Memtest86 was running it showed the CAS Timing differently then what setting I attempted for example, 8-6-6-20 or 8-5-5-15 or 8-6-6-24. They never matched what my Bios settings were, or even the default setting for the memory sticks. Please if you can,help give me setting for this motherboard that are proven to work. I would be grateful. Or else I'll need to RMA them for new tested ones.

Comment

QT,

Did you test memtest each module individually or did you test as a pair?

If you tested as a pair please test each stick individually. Reset your CMOS and load BIOS defaults. Manually enter the primary timings, command rate and DRAM voltage specified by GSkill for your particular RAM. Save settings and reboot, then proceed with memtest on each stick. See if one or both sticks may be faulty.

It sounds to me as if you might have gotten a bad stick, but we need to isolate which one it is.

If you have one good stick please check and ensure that you have the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard. If not please grab the latest one from the Asus website and flash your BIOS.
              MSI Big Bang xPower x58
              Intel i7 950
              GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
              Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
              Corsair TX950W

Comment

Try slots A1 and A2, then B1 and B2 to see if a channel may be defective.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Problem Continues

Thanks to you both for responding. I know for a fact the every slot on this board is working properly, as at this moment I am using 4 sticks DDR2 800. And in answer to having the most recent Bios, I do. So I don't know why you would want me to put my Bios back to default settings, and then have to update my Bios all over again. Also on my boot screen and in my Bios these to stick are recognized accurately. So could either of you please tell me timing settings for these stick that you know work. I assumed your tech department has actually put this version of memory in a M4N82 Deluxe motherboard. Other then what I presented to you for setting I've used neither of you have been able to produce any settings. So please help with that first before we proceed.

Comment

I wasn't suggesting that you update your BIOS again, only that you clear the CMOS and reload factory defaults. That is an SOP for me whenever I've been poking around in a BIOS and changing things. If you don't feel like getting everything back to stock design settings then that is fine with me.

I'm not a GSkill Tech, Mod, Admin nor am I employeed or paid by GSkill. I'm just regular Joe that happens to use a lot of GSkill memory.

Now regardless of whether anyone at G.Skill has ever put a kit of this particular into a M4N82 Deluxe motherboard is kind of irrelevant, as your motherboard's user guide clearly shows this on Asus' QVL list, meaning that Asus did try out this combination. And I'm assuming that this testing was performed cooperatively between G.Skill and Asus.

I understand your frustration, but to this point I don't see anywhere that we've tried to determine if you have one or two bad sticks of memory. This is an important test, because the odds of you getting two bad sticks of memory is very, very, very low. If both sticks fail it could be indicative of a bad BIOS setting or some other hardware problem (maybe even the integrated memory controller). If one stick passes and one stick fails then you have your answer right there. You've got a bad stick of memory......................

Since this memory is on the QVL it should be capable of operating at it's advertised speed and timings with zero issue and with only minor adjustments in the BIOS to your timings, speed and DRAM voltage. Other than that it should pretty much have been plug and play.
                    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
                    Intel i7 950
                    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
                    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
                    Corsair TX950W

Comment

Well the guide is obivously for this combo, so they should work.

Try without HT Voltage. The only difference between the two setups is the CPU, so you just want to try different voltages in case your CPU does not need it, for example the HT Voltage boost.

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X