F2-6400CL6-8GBSQ running slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL6-8GBSQ running slow

Hi all, just got an 8GB kit (F2-6400CL6D-8GBSQ) for my laptop. Two 4GB DDR2 PC6400 SODIMMs, with 6-6-6-18 timing.

I am using an ASUS G51VX-A1, with an Intel Q9000 cpu and the PM45 chipset. This laptop is perfectly capable of running 8GB of PC6400 memory, Intel's PM45 specs also says so, and others have done this same upgrade without issue.

My problem is this memory is running at 667 mhz (PC5300) with 6-5-5-15 timings, instead of the 800 6-6-6-18 I am expecting. I have emailed ASUS to get some insight on things as far as their BIOS/firmware is concerned, as there is no way to manually adjust the memory settings.

So I'm here to question the possibility of my memory being mis-labelled (either one, or both sodimms) causing them to run slower... Can anyone provide some insight?

It is common for laptops to downclock memory when using full capacity. The memory is correct, but the BIOS is choosing the 667MHz capabilities of this memory for 8GB. You can download CPU-z to confirm the memory is not mis-labeled.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Using a single 4GB stick also runs at 667 FSB.

Comment

That's right, as long as a 4GB module is detected/used.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well, not too happy - Does G.Skill work with other vendors to work out a resolution (BIOS update, etc) or am I pretty much on my own? I'll end up returning the memory at this rate.

Comment

We'll contact ASUS to see if they can help. This is an older laptop, so chances are not very likely or possible.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X