Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL6D-8GBSQ freezes

Hello,

After about 10 months of use, my laptop had its first blue screen. Upon reboot, the laptop complained about the boot manager on the hard drive being corrupted. Effectively, my SSD drive died. Why, I do not know.

I went to reinstall my laptop on a WD Black 250gig, but now, after Windows 7 64bits boots up, my laptop freezes. Its a plain vanilla Windows 7 64bits installed, not hacked, original, from the DVDs. Nothing else has been installed because the laptop freezes before I have the time to install anything else.

The replacement drive is good, so I started to test all components. Not much components I could remove, besides the add-on cards, bluetooth, wlan, etc. So I ended up testing the only removable component I could test, my ram. I ran my tests with running Memtest86 v3.5.

I have two stick of 4gig each, so, I proceeded to test both, then one at a time. When testing both, I would get to 5% in memtest than it would freeze. When testing one at a time, the test would go a little further, not much, then the laptop would reboot by itself. The only removable components are the ram and the DVD drive, but since I boot a DVD to run memtest, I cannot remove it.

I then tried with a different memory stick, the one shipped with my laptop, which is a Hynix 2gig stick. It runs memtest86 just fine.

I have 2x F2-6400CL6D-8GBSQ, CL6-6-6-18, PC2-6400, SO-DIMM

First, I do not think it is quite normal for memtest86 to fail. Second, are there any other test I could run before I ask for an RMA? I am passed my 30 days exchange, so I would have to RMA it directly with G.Skill. I just want to make sure I test everything before I ask for an exchange.

I run a stock Dell laptop E6500 with an intel T9600 proc, and was running an Intel SSD postville 160gig (before the crash), and now trying to run it in a WD Black 250Gig. There is nothing in the Dell bios that would allow me to overclock anything, so, everything is stock. The system ran perfectly for about 10 months. The blue screen was not due to a power spike or anything. It occured while I moved the mouse around.

The only out of ordinary thing I had going, was the fact I was NOT running a windows page file on my system. Running an SSD, its is not advised to run that, and I figured, with 8gig of ram, who needs a pagefile.

I am out of ideas!!

Any ideas ?

Thank you

Jeff

Very weird, but go ahead and send them in for new replacements.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X