Yet another compatibility question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another compatibility question

Hi, First post here as this is (GASP!) the first time I have purchased a gskill product. I am currently building a new (and cheep!) system for a friend of mine and her daughters and decided to buy one of the combination packages that the egg had on sale. It came with one 4GB package of 2 x 2GB gskill F2-8500CL5SD DIMMs and an MSI 785GTM-E45 motherboard (model # MS:7549 ver 1.4) amongst other things and the RAM says that it runs from 2-2.1v and from the motherboards internet site it says "Main Memory Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 667/800/1066 SDRAM, 8GB Max". Does that mean that the gskill RAM won't work on this board or am I just confused or something? (Please be nice now) I was just going to throw a stick in and go ahead and load the Win 7 Home 64 bit OS that I also got from the egg but thought that I should probably ask about it before I screwed something up since it's been a while since I last built my own computer. The MSI instruction manual really doesn't help me at all so am I ok putting in this RAM? I think what really inspired me to ask is neweggs little disclaimer that them selling these items together doesn't necessarily mean they were meant for each other. Thanks in advance for any help on this and I hope it isn't TOO much of a stupid question but hey the really stupid question is the one you don't ask, right?

That's right, no question is stupid.

The memory will work, but you will need to set it in the BIOS. Depending on your CPU, it may require tweaks to stabilize DDR2-1066.

The easiest/best setting will be DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V. Once you have this set in BIOS, the system will be ready to go.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

See any issues with this CPU?

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      That's right, no question is stupid.

The memory will work, but you will need to set it in the BIOS. Depending on your CPU, it may require tweaks to stabilize DDR2-1066.

The easiest/best setting will be DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V. Once you have this set in BIOS, the system will be ready to go.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Thank you for the quick answer! My CPU is an AMD Athlon II X4 (635) 2.9Ghz which is an AM3 which the board is qualified to run on. Do you see any other issues that might arise using that CPU? For now I will just be using the onboard GPU and sound and I have a 750GB WD7500AAKS that I will throw in and the Rosewill case comes with a 500w non modular PSU. Then the only other thing to install (so far) will be the DVD writer. Anyway, thanks again for the info...
      Last edited by WarYur; 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM. Reason: to post a URL for the CPU

Comment

No problems, just use the DDR2-800 settings first, and if you're bored and want to try DDR2-1066, we can help you tweak it.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Tanks!

Can do and thanks again. You guys are great! Think I'll plan on being bored this afternoon...

Comment

Working...
          X