Upgrading RAM. 800 or 1066?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading RAM. 800 or 1066?

I'm upgrading my RAM from Crucial to G.Skill (Crucial has been giving me nothing but errors since I bought it), and I'm wondering if I should go with 800 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231122) or 1066 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231166). My motherboard can handle both, but people seem to be having lots and lots of issues with the 1066 RAM as opposed to the 800. Like, every other review has some negative comment saying their RAM died or doesn't operate as advertised, even after changing their settings to the recommended ones manually. I feel much safer ordering the 800, but the 1066 would be nice...

Are there this many people honestly having these problems, and not with the 800?

Rory - I'd venture to say that about 80% of the people that have trouble with any make/model memory is due to inexperience or disregarding compatibility issues. I can tell you from personal experience and several years using G.Skill memory products that their first time quality is a lot better than reviews at NewEgg might lead you to believe.

With that being said, for my money I would go with the BPQ kit on that board. Just my two cents worth because I've used at least six of those kits if my mind serves me correctly, and all of them have been flawless and painless installs.
    MSI Big Bang xPower x58
    Intel i7 950
    GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
    Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
    OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
    WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
    WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
    Corsair TX950W
    Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

ddr2-800 is the standard speed. Anything else will require some manual adjustments and overclocking.

my thread below pretty much sums up my experience with 1066. from not being able to achieve the rated speed (and wanting to buy something else), to achieving it, then reflecting on why i bought it in the first place, and lastly learning how to get performance out of it.

i think you may find it helpful. i never had to RMA.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6092
      Last edited by jh4db536; 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM.
      http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1421077.png

Comment

roryt2000,

What CPU and motherboard do you have? It depends on them as well since not all can support DDR2-1066.

People above have pretty much summed things up, but like they said, DDR2-800 is the standard so most systems can configure automatically. DDR2-1066 is not, so most people being basic users, don't have the knowledge to set up BIOS correctly for the memory. Memory can be defective for random reasons, but most is user error.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hm, okay. Thanks for the responses.

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          roryt2000,

What CPU and motherboard do you have? It depends on them as well since not all can support DDR2-1066.

People above have pretty much summed things up, but like they said, DDR2-800 is the standard so most systems can configure automatically. DDR2-1066 is not, so most people being basic users, don't have the knowledge to set up BIOS correctly for the memory. Memory can be defective for random reasons, but most is user error.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3P
          CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 2.4GHz

I guess what I'm wondering now is if the extra speed from the 1066 is even worth it. I've never used anything other than 800, so is the difference noticeable? Is it worth going through the process of setup? If I decided to just set these to 800 instead (these are somehow the same price as the 800, so no big deal there), would they be just as stable as the ones that run at 800 normally?

Comment

you aren't buying 1066 for the speed. you are buying it for the overclocking headroom. It has a higher ceiling than DDR2-800 and is more stable when overclocked BETWEEN 800 and 1066. The speed comes from running the ddr2 higher than 800 with timings lowered down to CL4 (the ram is rated CL5 @ 1066). To accomplish this takes some learning, research, and tuning work on your end. It will not do it out of the box. It took me a couple weeks to get the hang of it, but this ram is very capable. Im wondering if i could even get it down to CL3 with some major voltage (since i already know it can handle a lot) lol.
            Last edited by jh4db536; 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM.
            http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1421077.png

Comment

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. This is very important because they had a lot of bugs for some revisions.

Then simply input memory settings

DDR2-1066
              5-5-5-15
              2.10V

or DDR2-800
              4-4-4-12
              2.0V

Both should work just fine.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...