Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G.Skill PC8500 compatible with Corsair VS1GB667D2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill PC8500 compatible with Corsair VS1GB667D2?

Hullo!

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    RAM: (4 slots)(2 used) 2x DDR2 1GB Corsair VS1GB667D2

After much thought, I've decided to upgrade my systems ram, as that's where I'm currently bottlenecked, sadface and lol.

I read somewhere that DDR2 and DDR3 are not cross compatible, and that it may fry both the new ram and the MB should I try and put some DDR3 in, so I guess that's out for the moment.

Looking through my favorite hardware shoppe, I happen upon this... The G.Skill PC8500.
    http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products...=111&sid=29099

Would these be compatible with my existing ram?
    Last edited by Moromillas; 09-18-2010, 08:14 PM.

Well DDR3 doesn't even fit, so you can even fry it unless you put it in a pot with oil.

DDR2-1066 can be difficult to reach especially with your CPU. I would suggest DDR2-800 CL4, and it would be just as quick without having to tweak settings and worry about stability.

Either of these two would be great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2%20x%202GB%29

The PI is better because of lower voltage. You just need more capacity. Most operating systems take up over 1GB already, so you're left with not much. No available memory means serious lag and delays.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hey... Thanks for the recommendation.

I ended up getting 2 PQ's, as they didn't have any PI's in stock. Same voltage, capacity and Mhz.

Yet, I seem to be having some stability issues with my existing ram. It can get past post, but then blue screens with a page fault after windows finishes loading.

Any ideas how to trouble shoot this?

(Edit) I must admit, I was a bit baffled as to why some slots would work fine, and others would have problems - even with just one corsair stick at a time. As it turns out, a vacuum cleaner was the best way to trouble shoot this. lol

Thanks again yeah.
      Last edited by Moromillas; 09-21-2010, 12:06 AM.

Comment

haha, so everything is running good now?

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yep, it sure is.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X