• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Timings in BIOS

Hi guys,

Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro with BIOS 14.
    Memory: G.Skill DDR2 800 @ 2.1V Model: F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 @ ~3.1GHz (FSB: 340, multiplier: 9)

The following is a snapshot of my memory timings in CPU-Z: http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/6992/96582082.jpg

I run the memory timings on Auto/SPD and the problem is that the memory modules say the timings should be 4-4-4-12 but in CPU-Z it shows 5-5-5-15. Does this have to do with the fact I'm running the memory at 816 instead of 800? The thing is that my FSB on the CPU is slightly overclocked and when I set the FSBRAM ratio the memory speed is 816MHz instead of 800MHz. Maybe that's the problem.

I tried setting the memory timing manually in the BIOS to 4-4-4-12 and all the rest on Auto and it seemed like the computer was running slower than with the 5-5-5-15 timings by SPD.

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by tester; 09-03-2010, 01:41 PM.

Well, performance memory such as these must always be manually configured in BIOS. CPU-Z and SPD will not have proper settings.

Did you raise voltage after reducing to 4-4-4-12? Also, do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

No, I didn't raise the voltage. Do I raise the DRAM voltage? And how much do I raise it? It's currently at 2.1V.

And no, I don't have the latest BIOS because it doesn't like my mobo. When I load the latest BIOS, settings don't get saved in BIOS, it underclocks my CPU and memory even when I change the values manually, and when the computer turns on, there's a constant beeping noise coming out of the computer even after logging into windows. No idea why that happens but it does so I reverted back to BIOS 14 (17 is the latest which also fixes a multiplier issue so that my C2D E8500 can run correctly; right now it's running on 9 multiplier because that's the max in BIOS 14 and it has to run at 9.5).

Also, another problem with the motherboard is that when I change a setting in the BIOS it will boot if the computer has been off for 5-15 minutes or settings haven't been changed since the PC was turned on but if I change a setting and reboot and then change something else then it won't boot and I have to clear CMOS, turn off the PC for 5-15 minutes and then it will boot after I change the settings I want.

Don't know what's going on with this motherboard. If you can shed some light on this subject, that'd be great.

Thanks!
      Last edited by tester; 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM.

Comment

DDR2-800 2.0V
        DDR2-1066 2.10V

Something is surely screwy with your motherboard. You may want to exchange for a different one. Based on your statement, it is difficult to troubleshoot the culprit.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

On the memory it says CL4-4-4-12 2~2.1V. When I look at the SPD settings in CPU-Z one of the profiles is 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1V so I should be able to get those timings. I even run the memory at 2.1V and it's still running at 5-5-5-15.

As far as the motherboard goes, yes, it's screwy and I can't exchange it since I've had it for 3 years now and it's out of warranty and this started happening recently.

Anyway... can you help me with this?

Comment

Did you set the timings to 4-4-4-12? The computer will only do what you set it to, so as long as you make the proper changes, it should operate fine.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X