Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I tell if this RAM stick is defective or it's my mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I tell if this RAM stick is defective or it's my mobo?

I recently purchased a set of G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory to use with a new GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H

I have the memory set to default settings (800mhz, recommended timings), yet when I run memtest it comes up with errors every now and then (it rarely comes up with errors on the first pass, but always on 2+). I've tried both sticks individually and together, there's always an error. This is what confused me, because what are the odds of having 2 defective sticks? Also when I use Windows 7 and play intensive games, it occasionally BSOD's.

So I was thinking it might have something to do with the motherboard. I don't think it's the settings because I've had them on default, and I even tried upping the voltage by 0.1 to 1.9v for stability, but it still shows errors.

I'm not really sure what to do from here. How do I test to see if it's the motherboard or the RAM that's defective? I don't have another DDR2 motherboard I can test the RAM in, nor do I have any other DDR2 ram I can test in the motherboard. I'd greatly appreciate some help on how to diagnose this problem further.
    Last edited by Exershio; 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM. Reason: typo in title

What is the model number of the memory? What slots do you have them installed in?

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

The memory is Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

The motherboard I'm using has only 2 RAM slots, and I have both sticks installed.

Comment

Send them in for new replacements and the new kit should work better.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X