F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK + GA-P35-DS3R rev 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK + GA-P35-DS3R rev 1.0

I have purchased G.Skill memory (from newegg) -- F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK and only 1 of the 2 memory modules will work in my system at any time. When I install both memory modules the system will not boot (I don't get video, so can't enter BIOS configuration). Either 1 of the sticks will work, but 2 will either not boot (most common occurance) or the system will only appear to detect 1 of the modules (it will show I have 1GB installed instead of 2GB). I've only ever seen it boot with 2 memory modules (but only 1 detected) a couple times, the vast majority of the time it simply won't boot. I'm concerned with continuing to swap memory modules because I've already damaged the contact pins of my old memory from swapping them so much (the copper ripped off the board of one of the pins).

Please advise on how to make this memory work on my system (if it's even possible). My old memory, was 1.8v, this new memory is 2.0v, but the motherboard supports overvoltage up to 0.7v, so I don't think the voltage is an issue.

My system:
    Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R rev1.0 with latest BIOS (F13)
    CPU - Intel Q6600 g0 stepping

Thank you,

Lee

Send them in for new replacements first, one of the modules may be defective. When you receive the new replacements, simply configure memory frequency, timings, and voltage in BIOS and everything should operate just fine.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Should I do an RMA through G.Skill or through the retailer?

Comment

Whichever is more convenient for you.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Via email, support had told me to try manually specifying the timings to 800-4-4-4-12-2.0v and 1066-5-5-5-15-2.1v. This did not resolve the issue and I was then instructed to do an RMA for replacement, which I did through the reseller. I have received the new memory modules and I have a very similar problem.

With the new memory the system boots consistently with both memory modules installed, however the motherboard is only detecting 1 of them (before with both modules installed it would usually not boot, but in the rare cases it did, it would only detect 1 module). I've tried 3 different brands of memory I've taken out of other computers and the motherboard detects both sticks of all the other brands, but not G.Skill. So I am fairly certain the problem is not with the motherbord.

I have tried auto settings and manually specifying timings, but it simply will not detect both memory modules. It says I only have 1GB (and CPUID shows only 1 of the memory modules in the SPD tab). The motherboard has far more memory related settings than just 4-4-4-12, so I'm wondering if there's anything else I should specify?

Another oddity I've noticed is that the motherboard is (correctly) detecting the memory as DDR2-1066 (in the setup menu), but once I boot the system, CPUID is showing the memory as DDR2-800.

Comment

Indeed sounds like a problem with the memory, so send them in for new replacements.

CPUID may show DDR2-800 depending on where you look. The memory tab should show DRAM Frequency ~533MHz.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              Indeed sounds like a problem with the memory, so send them in for new replacements.

CPUID may show DDR2-800 depending on where you look. The memory tab should show DRAM Frequency ~533MHz.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              I've already RMA'd them and got replacements from the reseller. So I got bad memory twice in a row? I have a feeling the reseller isn't going to let me RMA them again.

Some more specific information about how I've installed the memory -- the motherboard has 4 memory slots labeled (DDRII1) yellow, (DDRII2) orange, (DDRII3) yellow, (DDRII4) orange.

According to the manual if I want dual channel I need to install the memory either in both of the yellow slots (DDRII1 and DDRII3) or both of the orange (DDRII2 and DDRII4). If I do this, only one of the modules is detected. With other brands of memory I've taken from other computers, the motherboard does indeed function in dual channel using either the yellow or the orange slots.

Optionally (according to the manual) for single channel operation with only 2 modules, I can install those modules in slots 1 yellow and 1 orange (DDRII1 and DDRII2). If I install them in slots DDRII1 and DDRII2 the system will not boot (meaning my monitor won't turn on or give any indication that it's running aside from the fans turning on). Again when using other brands of memory the system does boot in single channel mode, but does detect both modules using slots DDRII1 and DDRII2.

I've tried the various memory timing configurations recommended by G.Skill support in all 3 valid slot combinations -- single channel DDRII1 + DDRII2, dual channel yellow (DDRII1 + DDRII3), or dual channel orange (DDRII2 + DDRII4).

Comment

Send the memory directly to us for replacements. The new kit should be flawless.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                X