Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! memtest86+ ERROR, only if 4 DIMMs are set AND only at test #6

Hi

I have a problem, and I'd need to find some help because I don't know what to do ... and there's job waiting to be done
    Please, I need help with this.

My system :

Asus P5k-E/WiFi AP (Intel P35 chipset)
    Intel COre 2 Q6600
    G.Skill F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ (4 modules, 2gb each for a 8gb total) working in dual channel.
    nVidia GTS-250 1024Mb
    3x WD Caviar 500Gb HDD, 2 of them working in RAID1 configuration.
    Memory card reader, DVD Burner, etc ...
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

No overcloking, everything memory and CPU related set at Auto. Intel Speed step decides when to boost the CPU.

This is my problem.

I've been running this system without a problem for the last year, and before that I was using just 2 G.Skill DIMMs for a 4Gb total. I added the two new modules a year ago and everything was working perfectly since then.

A couple days ago things went wrong. The PC started hanging at random (or so it seems to me) and I've tried to pinpoint what the problem might be.

I decided to start testing the memory as any windows test I did was helping to pinpoint the problem.

I first tried some old memtest86 I had, v2.10 I guess, but the progran locked up ... supposedly when it found errors, i don't know. So, I downloaded the latest memtest86+ avalable, 4.10, burned a DVD and started testing. I also disabled USB legacy as i read it might be cause of truble.

These are my findings and the reason I'm completely at a loss :

I tested one module on the 4 different memory slots for 4-5 passes ... so 20 passes in total. No error.
    I tested each individual module for 4-5 passes on the same bank. No problem at all, no error

I tested each couple of "dual channel" DIMMs. 5 hours straight each, no error.

I tested all 4 DIMMs. Errors everywhere when the process reached test #6 (moving inversions, 32 bit pattern).
    I've repeated the wholes test run a few times. It always start throwing errors when it reaches test #6. No other tests causes a problem that I know of.

I've a set the program to just perform test #6. Sometimes it needs 2 passes to start failing, but most times it starts in the 1st pass.
    Sometimes the errors start at 2048M - 3328M, 16% complete ... or at 8192 - 8960, 15% ... or at 188K - 2048M, 6% ... no consistency at all.

So, in short ... it only fails the test #6 ... and only when the 4 modules are set.

Another bit o info that I've observed.

DMI memory device info (hitting 'c', then '5') shows normal info until the errors start. Then it shows corrupted text (IE, things like ... DIMt3 instead of DIMM3, empty spaces instead of DIMM0, one module shows speed 65056 instead of 800, mapped to: no mapping on DIMM 0 ... all the info looks weird, corrupted. ). But the program continues to perform apparently OK, though I usually can't get out of test #6 or reboot pressing ESC.

On the main screen, CAS : 5-5-5-15 shows correct info, until the errors start appearing, then sometimes shows nonsense values like 45-64-37-1.

So ... what's your oppinion ? Any test that can help ? Any info you need me to provide ? What could be causing this situation ? Please, I need help.

UPDATE : I updated the BIOS to the latest available. No luck, still malfunctioning. The only change is memtest86+ now just hangs instead of showing the errors.
    Last edited by bokeron; 06-20-2010, 12:42 PM.

Hi,
    Have you found which moduel is at fault here ?

I know you tested some on there own then tested the whole bunch test 1 by one for 20 mins find which one is at fault then request a RMA for the sticks at fault

Comment

Hi Silver_172. Thanks for posting.

It seems I didn't explained it properly after all ... :

I've tested them all, one by one, but individually they throw no errors at all. It's only when all of them are connected that the error start happening, and only at test #6.

Comment

Hi, that's really weird you may even have to send the full pack back, if I was you just wait for gskills reply I'm sure they've encounterd this problem before

Comment

Thanks again for taking the time to post, Silver_172.

The thing is ... it seems I have found a way to prevent the error from happening, relaxing the timings from 5-5-5-15 to 6-6-6-16. I wan't interested in RMA anyways.

But what I am interested about is ... I wan't to use the memory at 5-5-5-15 as I've been doing since I bought it ... and I want to understand why is this happening, and find wich part is the one at fault. Memory, motherboard, what ?

Comment

Not enough NB Voltage. Set NB Voltage to 1.30V and it should be stable.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
            X