ASUS M4A78 PRO - F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS M4A78 PRO - F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Set Up

I found a guide for my memory/mobo combination but when I followed the settings I was not able to boot, the board hangs up on the ASUS splash screen ( http://gskill.us/forum/archive/index.php?t-1392.html ). Most times I cannot even get to the bios, the screen just hands at the ASUS logo.

I just upgraded from an old Athlon X2 (AM2) to an Athlon II x4 635 (AM3) processor. I installed the latest bios from the ASUS website and last night I was able to boot and run Windows 7 as I had been (just a swap out of the processor and heatsink/fan and things worked). Well, tonight I tried to install an additional 4 GB of RAM (same F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ) and that is when the problems started to arise. Blue screens and the hang up during boot up.

I'm back to trying to get things running again at 4GB, using the information found in the post I mentioned above. I believe last night when things were running the DRAM Frequency was set at 800, which was a limitation of my old processor. I have a stick of RAM in both yellow slots and am trying to go with 1067 Mhz but am not able to boot.

I'm stuck and hoping that someone can point me in the right direction. I'm hoping to get the 4GB working but I'd really like to use the full 8GB that I have (first things first though...( Thanks for any help.

Try the black slots.

DRAM Frequency DDR2-1066
    DRAM Timings - tCL 5 - tRCD 6 - tRP 6 - tRAS 18 - Command Rate 2
    DRAM Voltage 2.0V
    CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

I used the above settings and it resulted in a blue screen
      *** STOP: 0x00000007E (0xffffffffC0000005,0xfffff800002f6d933,0xfffff880 009a87f8,0xfffff880009A8060)

Some of the values I could not set to exactly as you stated, the board submitted its own values over mine:

Dram voltage - it set it to 2.08
      CPU-NB Voltage - it set it to a value of .8, that was the lowest it would allow

I'm having issues even getting into the bios now but it may be a display issue

Comment

CPU-NB Voltage is 0.1V over default value, not set it to 0.1V. I believe default is 1.10V, so set it to 1.20V.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the reply, the settings worked. I'm testing stability now. Will this configuration work for 8GB of RAM or will I need to set things differently?

Comment

Should work, or increase CPU-NB Voltage to 1.30V. Increasing NB Voltage and HT Voltage as well may help, depending on where it is actually lacking.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm catching up on some things with the PC now that it is working again. When I have some time (and am brave enough) I'll try adding the additional 4GB. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Comment

I was having issues with my computer random rebooting and generally not running stable. TUrns out I've been listing the wrong model RAM, I am using 8500cl5d-4gbpk. I think I copied and pasted the wrong model number from another post so I wouldn't have to type out the model number on this tiny net book keyboard.

So I'm hoping there are different adjustments that can be made to get this correct model ram running on my board???

thanks.

Comment

DRAM Frequency DDR2-1066
                  DRAM Timings - tCL 5 - tRCD 5 - tRP 5 - tRAS 15 - Command Rate 2
                  DRAM Voltage 2.1V
                  CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

This isn't working, the board either won't get to the ASUS splash screen or it won't get past the ASUS splash screen. I am also not consistently able to get into the bios, usually it just hangs on the splash screen.

I'm going to try going down to 800 to try to get to get a boot up. I did have it running under my old AM2 processor at 800, and very stable at that. I'm hoping I can get back to that at some point soon, it is really annoying to not have a functional desktop, relying on this netbook is really the pits.

Comment

No dice on 800 at 4-4-4-12, 2.0 volts.

There are many other settings in the "timing" section on this board that I have left at auto. Could this be an issue? I'm obviously no expert on things in this realm and the documentation on the board isn't much help. Should any additional settings be adjusted?

I'm currently able to boot at the default values, I'm hoping this will remain stable.

Comment

Worked for a few minutes under the bios defaults. The onboard NIC isn't working, so I powered down and installed a spare that I had. When I went to boot back up I was greeted once again by the splashscreen.

I'm not sure why I'm having so many issues with this board and memory but now it seems the board is acting up. I'm going to try to get an RMA for it from ASUS as the NIC is dead, but as long as it continues to display the splash screen I will try to get it running.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Try each stick with the DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V settings. If both modules fail, I would assume something is bad with the motherboard and causing the problem.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Compatibility between G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz and Intel i7 870

Hi! Can you help me please with an answer? Its about the compatibility between my 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Sniper Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel Low-voltage 1.25V
                            and the Intel i7 870 witch it says that only memory's up to 1333 MHz are supported. Thank you.

Comment

Marius Muresan,

No problem.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X