X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility of gskill and other issues

Hi, all,

MOBO: ASUS P5B Deluxe

RAM: G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ (two sticks, 1 G each)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, OC'd to 3.1G

This is my first post as a new member. I was looking for an answer, and came across a site containing a thread from the forum. Looked like the right place, so here I am.

I am in the process of upgrading my comp, and had previously (2 yrs?)purchased two more gigs of G.Skill memory which I saw on sale for a very good price. These 1G sticks were model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ. (The HZ is listed 2 - 2.1v, and the NQ at 1.8 - 2.0v. The timings are different.)

I attempted to install them along side my original sticks, but got the blue screen of death.
    I went through a lot of trouble to learn that the NQ sticks worked by themselves, but not in combination with my original sticks. I got some advice that I probably needed to boost the voltage a little, but I never tried this since I really didn't need the extra RAM at that time. (Now, I do.)

I saw at another site where a poster asked the same question (in whatever forum that was), and was given the advice that these two types were incompatible due to their different power requirements.

So, that's my question. Will I be able to use these four sticks together?

If so, that will give me 4G of RAM, which will be very adequate for my gaming needs.

If not, then I need to do something else, and have these questions:

Is there RAM available which will be compatible with either of the two sets I have? My mobo will take 8G of memory in 4 slots (240 pin). Could I put in a couple of 2G sticks to go along with either pair of 1G sticks? (Total 6 G).

I tried to search for the answer to the first question, but couldn't word it so that the query could function. I will also need some advice re the VDIMM for whatever solution the forum comes up with, and the timings, as I have only read some very confusing things about how to do this. Tutorials or similar references would be appreciated. I can navigate BIOS.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

cousin

VDIMM should be 2.10V, NB Voltage 1.40V, see if that works. If not, they may simply be incompatible. What you can then do is send in one kit to exchange with a more similar kit and they should be able to operate together.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks, GSkill Tech.

I will get my pliers out and see what works.

cousin

Comment

G. Skill Tech....

You advice was perfect, and I now have 4G compatible G. Skill RAM.

Many thanks.

cousin

Comment

Glad to hear. Enjoy!

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X