Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK to 1066 for the life of me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK to 1066 for the life of me.

Alright, I'll provide literally as much information as possible, including system specs, and what I did/what happened.

RAM: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 2048MB X2 CL5-5-5-15 2.0V-2.10V
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00
    CPU: AMD Phenom X3 II 720 stock speeds, cool and quiet disabled. Voltage @ 1.376

Pretty sure that's all you guys need as far as specs go.

The problem:

Alright, here's how it goes. The RAM came in the mail yesterday, I un-boxed it, put it in my Motherboard.

I put BOTH RAM sticks in the two red slots on my motherboard. So it's like this in a simple diagram.

[][][X][X]

The reason I couldn't put the stick in Slot one is because the RAM would hit my heatsink, and the RAM would bend a bit when seated... I definitely did not want that. So I put the RAM in slots 3 and 4.

Now, I booted up. Got into the BIOS, and chose "reset to fail-safe factory defaults" because I had made old changes to try and get my unstable RAM, stable.

Once I did that, I made the changes. 5-5-5-15, 2t command, 2.100v, 1066. I saved settings and then rebooted.

It got to Windows, and everything seemed alright. I browsed the web for a half an hour before I was going to run any stability tests, and boom.... BSOD. I didn't catch the error, but I got one.

So I said this can't be right.. I booted back to Windows, and ran Prime95 Blend to see what would happen. 1-2 seconds into starting the test, it would get a Fatal Error - Hardware failure.

These were the volts/settings at the time:

5-5-5-15. 2.100v, 2t command rate, 1066, 33 tRC.

CPU voltage - 1.296v
    CPU-NB voltage - Stock/Auto
    CPU multiplier/frequency - Stock 14x
    NB frequency - 2009.2mhz
    HTT settings? Stock/Auto
    So I bumped the voltage up in the BIOS to 1.376, and instead of instant failing it lasted around 30 seconds.

So I said, alright.. Let me try loosening up the timings. I set the timings to 6-6-6-18, 2t, 1066, 2.10v.

I ran Prime95's Blend, went downstairs to get a drink, came back up failed in 4minutes and 4 seconds.

So with the settings still at, 6-6-6-18 2t, 1066, 2.10v.. I decided to run a Small FFTs on Prime95. It passed 37 minutes of it, so I stopped it.

So I said forget this, I'm going to try manufacturer settings again... I set it to 5-5-5-15, 33, 2t, up'd cpu volt by one, and now my rig won't post.

It posted once, and it reset all the settings to Auto. I set them back to 5-5-5-15, 33, 2t, up'd cpu volt by one (aka 1.376v), saved settings and I just got a black screen, and I couldn't get it to get to the logo screen at all. There was just a black screen. No error beeps, no non-spinning fans, etc.

After about 10+ shutdowns, I was finally able to get back into the BIOS. I did another "factory fail-safe defaults", left everything on Auto for RAM... But I disabled Cool & Quiet, of course and raised CPU voltage to 1.376.

I ran Prime95 Blend for giggles, and it actually lasted until 47 minutes, then I stopped it. It didn't fail, I just stopped it since I pretty much determined the RAM was fine.

Here's a PIC from CPU-z currently of what the Memory TAB looks like. From that, it looks like it's currently running at 800mhz rather than 1066.

So, can anyone PLEASE help me get to 1066 stable? I've tried as much as I know.

So here I am asking for help.

Thanks G.Skill

Edit - A friend just told me he has the same RAM and a similar MOBO and they told him to do the following.

Dear Customer

Please refer to the following guide to manually configure your BIOS settings.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1129

With that processor and motherboard, it may have issues operating DDR2-1066 in the same channel. As a result, the proven setting is DDR2-800 with timings 4-4-4-12 and DRAM Voltage 2.0V while operating in the same channel. This will provide the same results as DDR2-1066 with 5-5-5-15 timings.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
    Should I go and try that? I'll wait until one of you guys states your reply though.
    Last edited by pjb135; 06-04-2010, 06:49 AM.

Try CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

You can try the DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.0V settings of course.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Didn't try upping the NB for 1066, but I got it stable at 4-4-4-12, 2t, 800, 2v.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X