MSI K9A2 and G.Skill F2-6400CL5D - Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI K9A2 and G.Skill F2-6400CL5D - Newbie

Overclocking Newbie here... so please be patient with me.
    Setup:
    XION A600 Gaming Case w/6 120mm Fans
    MSI K9A2 Platinum
    AMD Phenom 9950 Quad / Water Cooled (27c normal load)
    Windows 7 Pro X64
    4x1 667MHz Dell memory (now)
    4x2 G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ (trying to get working)
    Dual ATI 512MB 3850's Crossfired
    SATA1 WD Black - 1TB - OS/Apps
    SATA2 WD Green - 1.5TB - Storage
    SATA3 Maxtor 500GB - Swap File
    SATA4 BluRay/DVDRW Combo

When memory is installed, will sometimes boot but with an Overclocking error in the post. Once up and running, seems to work fine until I shut it down and have to play with it to get to even engage the monitor.

Tried 1 module, same issue. All 4 modules work fine in my wife's rig.

I see I should set the memory to 5-5-5-15-2T, 1.8-2.0 voltage. Problem is, I have no idea what those numbers mean and have nothing in the BIOS that gives me those options. I've tried to find the info here and google but been looking for hours...

Downloaded and installed AMD OverDrive 3.2.1 but it's intimidating me, I don't know what to set to those numbers given above. MSI says it should work once I get it configured but that's all the help I can get from them...lol

Funny, can't get this to work in my $200 super duper MB, but works fine in my wife's $39.00 bargain bin ASUS...

Anyway, any help at all will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance... )

KC

Go to the Cell Menu, scroll down to NB Voltage, and set that to 1.40V.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

more info

Okay, I have 2 modules up and running in slots 1 and 3 (green...slots 2 and 4 are orange)

Overdrive says memory is running at 400MHz in single channel mode. Those settings are grayed out however so are they set by the BIOS?

Again, my AMI BIOS doesn't give me the options that I've been told. Under Cell/Advance DRAM I have:
      DRAM Timing Mode - Auto/DCT0/DCT1/Both
      Bank Interlacing - Auto/Disabled
      Software Memory Hole - Enabled/Disabled
      DCT Unchanged Mode - Enabled/Disabled

... Okay, found the settings. Have to change DRAM Timing Mode to DCT0, DCT1 or Both to see the settings everyone is talking about.

So, If I need to set it to 5-5-5-15-2T... Which settings do I set exactly? There's like 30 of em there.

Thanks again!!!

Comment

Oh...okay, I'll give that a shot... back in a sec...

Comment

done

set NB Voltage to 1.40... even though the BIOS says "Not Recommended"

Getting ready to add the other 2 modules...

Comment

tCL 5 - tRCD 5 - tRP 5 - tRAS 15

The NB Voltage is not recommended, but required for 4 modules. You can lower it to see if it will be stable with lower voltages.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Still no go

The settings seem to have stabilized with 2 of the modules, but once I add the other 2, the system won't post at all.

On a side note, one of the more interesting issues. With this memory, My wireless keyboard will no longer work until after the post. I've had to plug in a USB keyboard to get into the setup. This doesn't happen with the other memory...

Comment

Update

All settings as listed above. Had to seat and reseat the memory about a dozen times but all 4 modules now running... for now. Got the post overclocking error again, but cleared after I ran the CMOS. I'll run some diagnostics and see what I see.

Comment

Working...
                X