Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT / Gigabyte EP45-UD3L

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3L Rev 1.0 with BIOS F9
    Memory: 2x F2-6400CL5S-2GBNT (4GB total)
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9550

Problem: Random application crashes (Firefox, Chrome, various 3D games), occasional quick flash of a blue screen (not enough time to read what it says) followed by an immediate reboot.

I am not overclocking this memory; I'm just trying to get it to work at its stock speed.

I ordered these two sticks separately a couple months apart from Newegg. The first one ran fine with no problems, but once the second one was introduced, the problems began. I have run Memtest 86+ from a Fedora Live CD but it passed the full set of tests on two separate occasions. I tried DRAM slots 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3, but this did not fix the problem either.

The first stick I received uses hynix chips. The second stick only says G.SKILL on its chips. Like I said, both are from Newegg and both came in the same exact packaging, even with identical bar codes.

I have configured my BIOS many times in an attempt to find a setting that is "pleasing" to these modules, but nothing yet has resulted in a stable system. My current BIOS settings that I think are relevant are:

Performance Enhance: Standard

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD): Manual
    CAS Latency: 5
    tRCD: 5
    tRP: 5
    tRAS: 5

Advanced Timing Control --> Auto, Auto, Auto, (tried 52, 56, 62, 68), Auto, 2

MCH Core: 1.2v
    DRAM Voltage: 1.9v

--------------------------
    I have tried running the automatic values for pretty much everything, including stock 1.1v MCH core and stock 1.8v DRAM voltages. As you can see I manually set the SPD values to 5,5,5,15. I have manually set the Command rate to 2 and I have experimented with setting the (tRFC?) to values between 52 (the automatic setting) all the way up to 68 (but always even numbers).

In my testing, it does not matter if I run the FSB at the stock 333MHz and use the memory multiplier 2.4 to achieve 800MHz or if I run the FSB at 400MHz and use a memory multiplier of 2.0.

So are there BIOS settings I can try, or should I start the RMA process?

Comment

Nevermind. I just downloaded and ran the latest Memtest86+ (version 4.10) and it found errors with that second module. I will start the RMA process.

Comment

This memory should be plug and play, so that module is surely defective.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X