Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ - dual channel capable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ - dual channel capable?

I haven't built a PC in years so my hardware knowledge is a bit lagging. I bought a Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H board and one stick of G.Skill F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ (1GB, DDR2 800). This is for a friend who's on a budget, so I'm leaving 1 of the 2 DIMM slots on the board open, he can add another stick of the same type later if he wants.

I'm a bit confused about dual-channel memory. This Gigabyte board has a dual-channel memory controller, the idea is to add another 1GB stick later so that both run in dual-channel mode. This G.Skill memory I bought is a retail box, on the back of the box it's written SINGLE CHANNEL in large letters. The Wikipedia article on dual channel says that memory sticks are not classified as single- or dual-channel, only motherboards (if capable), and "any matched pair of memory modules may be used in either single- or dual-channel operation".

Why is your memory labeled single-channel on the box? If he adds another stick of F2-6400CL5S-1GBNQ, will the pair run in dual-channel mode? Thanks

It is labeled single channel because we sell them as "kits". So if there is only one module, it can only be ran in single channel mode.

If you add another stick, the system will operate in dual channel mode, of course only if the motherboard has that feature. I would suggest telling your friend to purchase the same exact memory when he upgrades, otherwise if he purchases any random module, it may not work together.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
    X