• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L + 2 sets F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK = Happy Customer

Hey all:

Just wanted to post a success story.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L
    Memory: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (2 sets of 2 x 2 gigs, or 4 x 2 = 8 gigs)
    CPU: Intel Q9300 (Core 2 Quad 2.5 gHz)

I had a uATX board with only 2 memory slots at 800 and 3 SATA internal connections, and I found the above board for only $80 at a regional brick and mortar (with a significant online presence), so I decided to upgrade.

I originally had the F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ installed in the new board (and was part of the old configuration). I installed all four sticks of the new PK's and I couldn't post. Stupid me just thought I would be able to turn on the machine, get into the BIOS, adjust the BIOS from the old sticks to the new, restart and be done with it. Wrong.

Long story condensed:

1. With machine unplugged, take out old memory. Put a single stick of new memory in (slot did not matter, nor did stick, but I imagine slot 1 is best).

2. Clear CMOS.

3. Plug machine in, turn machine on, get into BIOS.

4. Change obvious defaults (e.g., boot order) and fix anything lost (e.g., date). Check to see all the M.I.B. settings are set to default, auto, or align with the "suggested values" or whatever they're called in the "left column" (e.g., timings of 5-5-5-15).

5. Save BIOS and restart.

6. After getting into OS, shut down. Install the other 3 sticks.

My 8 gigs had a successful POST and booted into Windows 7 Pro on auto and default settings. I didn't have to change a thing, and I'm at 1066. Did some MemTest and Prime 95 for a few hours and all is well.

I do have a couple followup questions for the forum though, if you've read this far:

Q1) Are there any BIOS settings I should be experimenting with? Anything besides 5-5-5-15 timings and voltage that is? Or is that something to worry about when I start overclocking? Speaking of which...

Q2) I had the Q9300 overclocked to a stable 3.0 GHz at Vcore 1.3 V with the old memory set at unlinked 800 Hz. Any overclocking suggestions?

The only BIOS settings necessary after installing memory are DRAM Frequency, timings, and voltage. Newer system may require some CPU tweaks but yours will not. Until you begin overclocking the CPU will you need to adjust CPU Voltages and frequencies.

Should be able to do the same 3.0GHz with memory at 800/900 without any issues. In fact, I was just running tests on this exact motherboard and CPU the other day.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

3.00 GHz and 1066 no problem

I've OC'ed to 3.00 GHz at 1.3 V Vcore and did nothing else with memory staying at 1066. So far no problems with real work and gaming. Did Prime95 for 3 hours with no errors and the CPU stayed below 64C. Typically it's running at about 38-40C while doing video edits, but more often it's right around 32C.

I feel kinda left out with no tweaking necessary.

Comment

haha, that means you need to push it to the limit! =)

You should have no issues with 3.5GHz, especially if your max temp was 64C. Raise the FSB, OC a little more, maybe squeeze some memory OC is possible, and you should have a fairly quick system for whatever you're using it for with 8GB.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
        X