Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6GB in an EP45-UD3R

Hello,

I recently purchased a 4GB 8500 pack of gskill ram. After testing the sticks individually and in two systems, I found out one of the sticks was bad. The computer would not POST and would reboot constantly with the bad stick inserted.

So I have RMAd the bad ram and I am awaiting my new set. I have searched this forum looking for information on combining different ram sizes with no luck. My motherboard manual says that it can run different size ram in flex mode. The 2GB pack I am running is the exact same brand and specifications as the 4GB pack that I am having replaced.

So my question is, when my new set comes in, what settings are recommended in the bios for my EP45-UD3R if I want to run 6 gigs of ram. If it helps, I am running a core 2 duo processor 3.16 overclocked to ~3.8 with Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

Use the the 2GB memory in the yellow slots and the 1GB memory in the red slots. You will also need to increase MCH Core to 1.4V and tRFC to 80. Once that is complete, everything should be running smoothly.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. As soon as I receive the replacement kit I will give your suggestions a try.

Comment

Ok lets cut to the chase.

I received my new ram, both sticks are fine. And they work excellent if I run them at 800 instead of 1066.

I tried your suggestions, I tried doing some slight tweaking both directions and if I try to run them anywhere near 1066, even by themselves in a 4GB configuration, I get BSoDs and constant reboots.

At this point I feel like you guys have sold me 800 mhz ram and are depending on me to overclock it to 1066.

My 4 gig as 4 1 gig strips worked fine, another brand of ram I have borrowed to make sure it is not an issue with my motherboard or the 6GB configuration work fine.

The common factor in this mess is the 4GB set running at anything above 800 mhz.

I am a pretty patient guy, but I have gone through an RMA that I paid shipping on, waited for my new ram to come, and this new set will not work in my system at the advertised specifications.

So I am left with running it at 800, hoping that my other 2GB will run with it like that, or returning the ram for a refund minus a 15% restocking fee.

Annoyed. Annoyed. Annoyed!

Comment

What slots do you have them installed in? If you are using only two sticks, make sure to use slots 2 and 4. With more than 2 sticks, use the guide for this motherboard and everything should work properly.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I have the 4GB kit in 1 and 3 (Yellow). One of my old 2GB kits are in 2 and 4 (Red).

So far I have been able to increase the mhz to 900 by opening up the FSB a little more, effectively overclocking my CPU to 4.08 with minimal temperature change.

Once I reach a point where the ram does not work, I have to take all the ram out except for one stick in order to get back into the bios, and then I have to lower my settings again to get the rest to work.

I have everything set to auto except the following:

MCH Core to 1.4V and tRFC to 80 (As you suggested). I also changed the last option in here from 0 to 2.
            Dram Voltage is set to 2.1.
            I also have the one setting to 2.00B since my FBS is at 450 at the moment.

Can you link me to the motherboard guide and tell me which settings I would need to do different for a 6GB configuration. Also, would it make a difference to switch out the kits so that the 2GB kit is in 1 and 3?

Thanks!

Comment

Disregard where I used FSB, that should have said "CPU Host Frequency"

Comment

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1169

That is the guide, but seems like you are on the right track already.

The memory multipliers are set, so you can only use what is available.

2.00B with CPU Host Frequency at 450 will only give you DDR2-900. The 400+ CPU Host Frequency options are 2.00D, 2.66D, and 3.33D. So you will need to see if you will max CPU or max the memory. Typically people use 400 with 2.66D for DDR2-1066, but then that would limit your max CPU speed.

Depending on your CPU, you can try stabilizing 500 and that will get you closer to DDR2-1000.

At this point it is simply finding the pin point voltage settings.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                X