Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD vs. F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI

I am comparing and choosing between the following G.Skill products:
    F2-8500CL5D-4GBTD (Trident 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066, CL=5)
    F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI (Pi 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1100, CL=5)

The prices are the same and so are the specs. I believe the 1100 RAM will work perfectly as 1066 - I'm currenly using 1110 (PC2 8900) RAM by Micron/Crucial - but it's slow and seems a bit wobbly - CL=7!

My motherboard is GigaByte_GA-MA785GM-US2H with a AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition, unlocked to 4 cores so officially a X4 B50. The Gigabyte BIOS doesn't give me a lot to play with regarding RAM. I previously had to return some OCZ 2.1V-2.2V 1066 RAM because it wouldn't work at 2.1V - the limit my board will provide. I have a Scythe Katana cooler/fan which gives a fair amount of clearance over the RAM slots, but not unlimited.

Here's what I have to work with in BIOS:
    DRAM voltage: 1.8V to 2.1V in 0.1V increments.
    4.00 or 5.33 multiplier for RAM - so at natvie Bus speed of 200, the 5.33 setting gives 1066 correctly. Adjusting the Bus speed will move RAM speed up slightly before getting errors.

I can also set any changes needed to CL numbers - but frankly with 5-5-5 timing I doubt I'll need or want to.
    -------------------------------------------------

Here are my questions!

Are the two RAM modules above actually the same sticks, with slightly different SPDs and different heat sinks? They have the same specs except for the 1100 speed for the Pi brand. If they are very close in actual RAM chips, would they be considered interchangeable with each other? The specs show the Trident using 1.8V and the Pi using 1.8V-1.9V - is this really true? From reading the forum, it would seem that all your low-voltage RAM might use from 1.8V to 1.99V in actual applications.

What is the size (height) of the two modules with heat sinks in place. I did some graphic measuring of the Pi-1100 model and came up with about 52mm's. What's the actual number? I need to make sure they can clear my CPU cooler. My current stick is ~29mm tall and I have enough clearance for about 21mm's more... I'm confident I could squeeze in about 53mm's. But nowhere on the site does it list the size - would be a good thing to add on those sticks with heat sinks/spreaders.

All of your RAM that I've seen lists recommendations for Intel processors. I haven't found the word AMD anywhere on the site. Is there any problem with your RAM in AMD-based motherboards?

And which would you recommend? If the 1100 RAM has a tiny bit more capability, I'd go for it - I also like the 'look' better! But it doesn't seem to be sold anywhere in other 1.8-1.9 configurations and may be an older model? Trident or Pi?

Thanks and hope to get some good answers! I'd love to order my RAM tomorrow!

To answer your questions..

No they are not the same sticks simply with different heat sinks. We do not do that, every specific model will at the minimum have different IC chips. As far as memory voltage, it ranges because it also depends on the actual memory voltage the motherboard is supplying.

As far as maximum height, the Trident and PI are exactly the same except the Trident is layered and dips in the center.

Based on our current lineup for sale, all dual channel memory packages will be compatible with AMD platforms.

I can't really recommend one, they are both pretty solid, so it's up to you.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks!

I'm ordering the PI model and am confident I'll be totally satisfied. I'll post something here so anyone else searching the forum for Gigabyte or 785 will find it.

Comment

Good choice!!

Comment

Well, I'm hoping they're not over 53mm's tall!

Comment

You will be all right. 53mm is just over 2 inches and these are just under 2 inches tall.
            Sounds like you have a CPU cooler??

I have had to use a dremel tool to trim a cpu cooler fin back with some RAM to allow clearance, but I do no think you will have that issue if you have 53mm clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo View Post
              I have a Scythe Katana cooler/fan which gives a fair amount of clearance over the RAM slots, but not unlimited.
              What is the size (height) of the two modules with heat sinks in place. I did some graphic measuring of the Pi-1100 model and came up with about 52mm's. What's the actual number? I need to make sure they can clear my CPU cooler. My current stick is ~29mm tall and I have enough clearance for about 21mm's more... I'm confident I could squeeze in about 53mm's. But nowhere on the site does it list the size - would be a good thing to add on those sticks with heat sinks/spreaders.
              From my post above. I hope it won't be a problem. Worst case, I can always put them in the 2nd set of slots.

Comment

How do you do a graphic measurement? This works for any device, but handy for RAM modules and graphic cards - things most aren't sure if will fit well.

First, find an object you know the size of - in this case I know that most DDR2 modules (w/o heatsink) are about 30mm high. You can find this spec. online or actually measure one. So find a good picture of the product you want to buy and measure the height of the module up to the heatsink. You can measure it on the screen or print it out. Doesn't matter what the measurement is because you KNOW that equals 30mm. So if the module itself measures say, 3 3/4 inches, then you know that 1 1/2" equals 10mm.

Measure the entire module. If it measures 5 inches, then the heatsink adds about 10mm to the height.

If you remember your algebra, you can figure this out easily!

X is to 5" as 30mm is to 3.75" ..... X/5 = 30/3.75 .... X = (30 * 5) / 3.75 = 40mm

To do it with a video card, the known value is the size of the PCI-E slot and the distance from it to the side of the board. With that, you can tell if it will block your SATA ports or other motherboard headers.

Here's one way to look at the problem.

Last edited by Mongo; 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Not quite sure how you got all those values... but if the memory modules are 30mm in height without heatsinks, they are roughly 50mm with the heatsinks.

Thank you
                  GSKILL SUPPORT
                  Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 09-24-2009, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Well, my PI modules came in and are installed and working just fine in my Gigabyte 785-based MB. Although they are just about 55mm high, they squeeze just under my Scythe Katana cooler.

So far, seem stable and working fine at either 1066 @ 5-5-5-15-24 or 800 @ 4-4-4-10-14. I'll likely go with the 800 setting for more throughput. The BIOS is using Auto settings for voltage and manual settings at either 5.33 or 4 X bus (1066 or 800).

800 @ 4 or 1066 @ 5 - I finally feel like I'm getting the most outta my RAM slots - thanks G.Skill and thanks for the friendly support here on the forum.

Comment

Sounds good, glad to hear everything turned out fine. Enjoy your setup!

Thank you
                      GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                      X