F2-6400-CL4D-4GBPI-B / F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B Test request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-6400-CL4D-4GBPI-B / F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B Test request

First would like to say to G.Skill support. Consider this more of an 'fun' than an "RMA the damn thing"-style of stuff (of course nothings fun to you guys just work.. ). Just in case troubleshooting this way would be even an option. I know pretty well how this memory performs and on what conditions, so, just matter of trying something what seems to absolute impossible.

That out of the way, here we go, if someones willing over there, setup specs:
    1. take an ASUS X38/X48 board and drop full controller 8GB PI-B chips or even 2 chips will do in it. Something like ASUS Maximus Formula, P5E, Rampage Formula would do nicely. (Plus some core that can handle these speeds with out heating to hundreds.)
    2. Now, there's an trick on ASUS boards to get this POST at CL5-5-5-15 simply reset CMOS or use the 'Load BIOS Default' Boot that up and OC the core so 6:5 will become 1067Mhz.
    (This will OC the memory voltage also to 2.448v. So that might be too much it'll POST around 2.06-2.10v at BIOS (~2.20v). Also North bridge probably will need 1.55v South Bridge will stabilize itself automatically after reboot.)
    3. Now can anyone on support actually get this run stable by any means other than dropping CL6?

If this is actually possible let me know. Although, It's not considered as stable by MemTest86+:
    * Any CL5 will do I don't even care, if it's CL5-20-20-20 in that sense.
    * Any voltage will do (Range is 1.80-2.60v and on these asus boards all values are +0.10v automatically which doesn't even depend on BIOS).
    * Please drop this setup to +2048MB LinPack x64. Screenshot of any would be nice even MemTest86+ Stable Test 5.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Setup I am using to test this 'theory':
    ASUS Rampage Formula
    OCZ GameXStream 850W (with multimeter checked decent 12V, 5V, 3.3V on these speeds.)
    Intel Q9450 (with decent VID to out perform these FSBs)
    F2-6400-CL4D-4GBPI-B (4x2GBGB) / F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B (2x2GB)
    RAID-0
    ATI Rage 3D PCI (My damn GPUs are still on RMA, lol, but this does just fine.)
    Windows XP x64

Above descripted Start parameters.
    CL: 5
    tRCD: 5
    tRP: 5
    tRAS: 15
    tRRD: 5 (gonna dump this straight to somewhat ideal)
    tRFC: 70 (gonna dump this straight to somewhat ideal)
    tRT: 5 ("Read PRE Time" gonna dump this straight to somewhat ideal)

Rest as 'Auto'. All 3 stages available.
    Last edited by genetix; 09-16-2009, 07:06 PM.
    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

My job is very fun, I help people get their computer working properly, help them solve issues that they would have had to pay someone else to, help them save money, help them save time, share knowledge, the satisfaction is endless.

I suggest RMAs because I am sure the hardware is defective or out of spec, even if it could be fined tuned to work temporarily, it could provide issues in the future. Especially when the warranty period lasts for only so long, I make sure people receive good, up to specifications merchandise, and not hardware that is only good enough to run. If I let those out of spec hardware go by, warranty/exchange period go by and people end up with hardware that was bad from the get go. That equivalates to extra money needed to be spent later because it is no longer under warranty.

Luckily you don't have to worry about that with G.Skill since we offer lifetime warranty. =)

Will you accept DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 memory that will only operate 6-6-6-18? Not me.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Wonder what's that supposed to mean in this topic. "Ok, nice for you to mention". I have had daily basis boards you see above and none will work to your 'spec' this is not motherboard manufacturers fault as I know several other memory runs just fine on these boards. You can't blame the board when I have here OCZ, Corsair blocks working in same motherboard same specs mentioned above. All I asked was testing can your run your memory actually functional to the spec on any of these X38/X48 boards I even was kind enough to provide pretty accurate information where to start searching including out of spec voltages functional on the memory allowing to use any specifications nessessary to make functional combination. Best board of the set which can modify wide range of voltage and 3 set of latencies.

Who knows perhaps you have board there also which can't run "DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 memory that will only operate 6-6-6-18"...
      "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
      http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Working...
      X