• Cant run memory at 1066???

Motherboard
    MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum
    BIOS 3.5 (Latest)

Windows 7 64 bit

Memory
    F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (2 of them)

Processor
    AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

I have 4 - 2GB sticks - 8GB total in my machine. The BIOS is only showing 800 mhz on the memory. When I change to 1066, I cannot get it to boot. Tried changing the timings ram voltage, cpu voltage, and mb voltage with no luck. Do you have any suggestions to get 8GB to run at 1066??? I also tried to hook up just 2 sticks and I couldn't get it to run at 1066 either. They only run at 800mhz????

Brad

You will not be able to boot this, but try between 1058-1062Mhz and dump the vDIMM voltage really above normal. (lets say 2.20-2.30v would be something I am thinking. Hell I needed even more my own setup, but lets leave from there).

Hmm, gonna need also some volt to MCH/memory controller.

-edit-

hmm, I might also warn on this one. There's alot of people it seems who are saying it would be CPU limitation not even motherboard. Do not believe in this, but well seems people are having really hardtime even with 2 sticks. However, I know some how these memories works on all G.skill series so there's always some loophole to bunch through.
    Last edited by genetix; 08-18-2009, 10:20 PM.
    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Originally posted by genetix View Post
      You will not be able to boot this, but try between 1058-1062Mhz and dump the vDIMM voltage really above normal. (lets say 2.20-2.30v would be something I am thinking. Hell I needed even more my own setup, but lets leave from there).

Hmm, gonna need also some volt to MCH/memory controller.
      What do my timings need to be set at?

Comment

Drop them to tCL5-tRCD6-tRP5-tRAS17

"if you got":
        tRRD (RAS to RAS delay) 5T
        Read PRE delays 5T
        tRC around 36T
        tRFC 68T or 195ns (secondary values at 127.5ns)
        tWR top this out 6-15T what ever, if supported.

and try with this set..

-edit-

Also, to keep in mind those are pretty close where it should end up to. So, you might wanna start POST:ing with something like CL6 and so on. Make sure the MCH is stable on that and drop RAM voltages to as low as they go and still POSTs. Then add the CL5 dump voltage +0.06-0.08 from what was the lowest POST able and whole box to MemTest86+. If that finishes clean Tests 4,5,7 (specially test 5) you can try booting to windows, if there's driver related issues (BSOD) or other uncommon system stuff that's probably Microsoft just giving you some love add couple +0.02v to RAM more and it should boot up and be clean just fine.

try to stick below 2.35v I'd assume it'll boot somewhere near 2.24v in the end. Always check the REAL voltages under OS with something like Lavalys Everest or SIW.

-edit 02-

hmm, about 'when MCH is stable' if you dump the RAM high enough like to 2.20-2.35v and it doesn't POST you know it's the MCH.

-just extra comment-

O and don't worry on frying the Memory.. I got here X38 ASUS Intel board. hell, this thing Automates on OC ram to 2.448v, lol, not exactly an running voltages, but RAM still works just fine on these volts so suggested 2.20-2.35 is just fine area still. Would be more worried on Mobo heats or HT.
        Last edited by genetix; 08-18-2009, 10:34 PM.
        "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
        http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Working...
        X