Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3g and F2-8500LSD - setting speed to 1066mHz

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G board, and am using F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK memory (2 2gb sticks). I have read and searched for related threads, but found none for this board.

I cannot figure out how to get this to run at 1066 mHz from the BIOS settings. This board does not have the usual settings (and please correct me if I'm wrong) for setting the memory timings (tCL, tRP, TRCD, tRAS, and explicit voltage. It does say in the specs, and printed on the board itself, that it supports DDR2 1066 memory.

The BIOS choices from the "MB Intellegent Tweaker" section for memory are System Memory multiplier (Auto, 4.0, 3.5...to 2.0), a display of speed (shows detected value 800, and an adjusted value based on CPU Host -1066), DDR2 OverVoltage Control (Normal - but not specified, +.1V to +.7V) Iset this to +.2 arbitrarily, and that's it as far as I can see.

I saw someone post somewhere that pressing Ctrll-F1 on the BIOS screen is supposed to give more choices, but it did not seem to do anything from anywhere in the BIOS.

I am using an Intel Core Duo 5200, clocked at 266 Mhz FSB, effective 3.33 mHz speed which shows on post, and although it seems to be steady, I got the same results with DDR2-800 sticks (g-Skill with the dark blue heatsink, don't have the number handy). The system reports running with DDR2-800 Mhz memory, and a memory test showed 800 speed with the 1066 ram sticks.

Can someone give me a specific path to set the 5-5-5-5-15 settings and the proper voltage based on what I have. Please try to give a step by step on how to do this. I'm not new to PC's, but I am new to adjusting the memory settings and overclocking. I would like to get the full speed out of the memory I'm using. I am afraid it is just reading the SPD numbers and I don't know what it is actually doing.

I would greatly appreciate any help.
    Last edited by bobbrennan; 08-02-2009, 07:47 AM.

Memory multiplier will need to be at 4.0 (266.66 x 4= 1066) Seems like it already is detecting this at least.

DDR OverVoltage Control +0.30V

As far as timings, they can be AUTO as long as you're not having any issues. Seems like the motherboard is picking up the correct values.

Are you having any instability issues? If so, let me know what other options you have in BIOS, or post up screen picture shots so I can see what else you need to adjust.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Hi,
      Well, I made the changes as you suggested, and I let it run for a few days to see if everything is stable. I am happy to say that it does seem stable with everything I tried to do with it, and have not experienced any crashes, or the like.

So let's see where this winds up, and if there are any other problems, I will post a follow-up.

I would still like to know how I can make any other changes to the memory and timings with this board given the limited BIOS choices, if for no other reason than to gain that knowledge in case I may need it someday.

If anybody knows how to go deeper into the BIOS selections to make adjustments to the memory timings, please post and it would help me quite a bit.

Thanks G-Skill for your help.

Bob

Comment

The Advanced Timings should be in DRAM Timing Control. It must be set to Manual in order for your to be able to access them. The most important ones are tRFC, tRC, tWR, as they may need to be adjusted when adding 2 more sticks and can cause major instability if not set correctly. That is why I suggest most Advanced Timings to be AUTO most of the time.

Please take a look at the link in my sig and share your G.Skill Support experience.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
        X