F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK on GA-MA790FX-UD5P w/ AM2+ X4 940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK on GA-MA790FX-UD5P w/ AM2+ X4 940

Ram: F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, installed in slots 1 & 2 (have also tried the other slots)
    Motherboard: GA-MA790FX-UD5P
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
    DDR Voltage: 2.1v
    NB Voltage: 1.4v

Problem: Memory errors in memtest, specifically on test 5, consistently at 50% of the way through the test

My testing results:
    I have 2 of each MB and RAM combo and have the exact same problem on both (I've tried swapping ram between MB's same results). I purchased some Corsair Dominator sticks that were comparable (1066, 5-5-5-15, 2.1v, and that ram works perfectly) So I know this isn't a problem with the MB and I'm willing to bet that I don't have 2 bad sticks of GSKILL ram.

I've tried flashing to the latest firmware for this board (from F3 to F4) and that makes no difference. I've increase the voltage from 1.9v to 2.1v. At the lower voltages memtest locks up, at the higher voltages it runs fine until memory errors. Same result with the NB voltage which is bumped up to 1.4v.

I've tried all the recommended settings from the UD4P sticky thread, as well as the recommended settings from the AM2+ sticky thread. Still get memory errors.

I've also tried full auto settings and this doesn't work either. Same result, memory errors half way through test 5.

I've also tried just about every combination of timing settings, too numerous to list here. Please help. I'm sick of screwing with this. What are the recommended settings for my MB & CPU?

What are your SPD values for timings? Seems like the motherboard is just picking up a wrong value causing the BSOD. Did you try loosening up values for tRC? Let me know the values the motherboard is picking up and I'll be able to further assist you.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

SPD values:
      5-5-5-15
      Command timing: 2T
      TwTr: 4T
      Trfc0: 127ns
      Trfc2: 127ns
      Write Recovery Time: 8T
      Precharge Time: 3T
      Row Cycle Time (tRC): 42T
      RAS to RAS delay: 4T

42T is the max value for tRC and I've tried it as various incarnations of tRC = tRAS + tRP (with values greater than 5 and 15)

I would also like to know the stable values for 8GB @ 1066 since I now have an extra kit for this box. I've been running both kits at 800Mhz with lowered timings, 5-4-4-12 which is working... but the sticks are very HOT! Is this normal?

Comment

Set them manually at these settings.

5-5-5-15
        Command timing: 2T
        TwTr: 4T
        Trfc0: 127ns (try next option up if this doesn't work)
        Trfc2: 127ns (same as above)
        Write Recovery Time: 10T
        Precharge Time: 4T
        Row Cycle Time (tRC): 32T
        RAS to RAS delay: 6T

The PK series do run on the hotter end, so that is normal.

8GB would need a higher NB voltage, loosen tRFC, and more. Have 4GB stable then work for the 8GB.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

- Write Recovery Time: 10T

This setting only goes up to 8T (so set at 8T)

- Precharge Time: 4T

This setting only goes up to 3T (so set at 3T)

Did the other settings, crashed, increased trf0 and trf2 to 195ns (next highest). Still crashed.

Comment

Try another style.

Try:
            5-5-5-12
            2T
            tRFC0: 127.5ns 1: 127.5ns 2: 195ns 3: 195ns
            tWTR at 'maximum' or 'Auto'
            tWR at 'Auto' or 7T
            tRC: 24T
            Prechage time: Auto
            RAS to RAS delay: 4T

Set DDR voltages to: +0.4 (This should be 2.20v check it) (this also has to be the actual voltage)
            Set DDR VTT voltage to: 1.100v (this also has to be the actual voltage)
            Hit North Bridge to: 1.400v-1.450v (this also has to be the actual voltage)

About your original comment on lower voltages lockup MemTest. This is uually cause of North Bridge not able to translate fast enough. The reason why they go so hot is probably also there generally it might be possible to do better balance with NB voltages to DDR voltages, but needs a little time. the north bridge at 1066Mhz memory speeds could even need 1.5v in some cases. Actually I am not using this board but similar AM and board and NB has to be 1.464v (actual) to be able to be stable under droop.
            Last edited by genetix; 07-28-2009, 01:20 AM.
            "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
            http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

so did this resolve ur case?

i set everything on mine to auto and it crashes automatically haha

Comment

Tomy, everything on auto will not work for this memory package since most motherboards can not provide the correct default settings. Make sure to change memory frequency to 1066. Set memory voltage to 2.1V and that should end the major crashing. The default memory voltage is 1.8V, so that is definitely not enough to operate the memory which is probably why you are have instability issues. If you are still having issues afterwards, please create a new thread so that we may help you with your individual case.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

I have not tried genetix suggestions yet.

Can you explain the reasoning behind 5-5-5-12 and the raised voltages? How much can this ram take before it gets fried? It's already stupid hot.

Comment

fgh, try testing each memory module individually just to make sure they are all good. Otherwise, there might be one stick causing you all this trouble. Have you been able to get it stable at 1066 with two sticks? NB should be 1.2V if only using 2 sticks (4GB), 1.4V if you are running 4 sticks (8GB). Let me know the results and I will be able to further assist you.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Memory can take up to 2,40-2.50v pretty easily although not exactly running 24/7, but 1.8-2.3v wouldbe between stable safe 24/7 run ground.

The 5-5-5-12 is straight up to how it shoud be calculated. 5-5-5-15 is accordingly to no standard, anyway just drop the values up and see where that leads according to my boards that should be just fine. 2.20v is because anything below 2.16v I cannot get this memory stable and windows stable at 2.20v exact on my end.
                      "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                      http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                        fgh, try testing each memory module individually just to make sure they are all good. Otherwise, there might be one stick causing you all this trouble. Have you been able to get it stable at 1066 with two sticks? NB should be 1.2V if only using 2 sticks (4GB), 1.4V if you are running 4 sticks (8GB). Let me know the results and I will be able to further assist you.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT
                        I have been unable to get any combination stable at 1066.

I've tried single sticks (2GB) and 2 sticks (4GB) extensively. All settings suggested so far have failed.

5-5-5-12 is also not possible as my MB won't allow me to set the Min RAS active time to anything less than 15T.

Why is this RAM listed on the compatible list for this motherboard? Is that testing that G.SKILL verifies or is that testing done by the MB manufacturer? Should I be e-mailing Gigabyte for recommended settings?

Comment

If you can't get them to operate even with 1 stick, then simply send them in for new replacements. That is the minimum that it must do, and since you believe your mobo is fine, it must be the memory modules.

For the compatible list it is done by the motherboard manufacturer, but we have also tested with this motherboard as well with no issues. You should not be having this much trouble, so the best/easiest thing to do is to send them in and see if a new set will be much better.

Note: Performance Enhance should be Standard, sometimes that causes quite a bit of issues.

Thank you
                          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                          X