Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea why F4-4226 won't boot with XMP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea why F4-4226 won't boot with XMP?

Hello. New user here, I was instructed to reach out on the forums for help and tips why my system won't boot with XMP enabled.

So, first off, my rig contains:

i7 8700k 6 Core - 12 Threads
    Asus Maximus X Code MB
    G.Skill TridentZ 4266MHz 16GB (I have two kits equal 32GB atm) F4-4266C19D-16GTZR
    MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio
    Corsair HX1000i PSU
    NZXT Kraken X62 Cooler
    Samsung 960 EVO M2 SSD

So, I'll race back to 2018 when I just built this rig, at that time there was only 16GB of ram (same set as now), a GTX 1080 and Corsair 860 PSU, about a year ago I swapped out the 1080 for the 2080 Super. I had not tried to overclock the RAM because the PC worked flawlessly in every game I played at the time, and most games today still is flawless, except for Escape From Tarkov, so a friend of mine told me about getting more RAM, so I got more RAM after trying to overclock it with XMP, with no good effect, wouldnt even boot, just ended back in BIOS, so I tought maybe updating the BIOS would do the trick, but nothing. Then I started to read about those memory sticks, alot people had successfully clocked them to the speed being stable, but I can't reach much more than 2800 DRAM Frequency before the system starts being unstable. Read something about QVL (Did not find my RAM sticks in the list for the Mobo) and tought that was the issue, but read once again it doesn't neccessary mean anything.

While trying to OC the ram, CPU clocks are stock, nothing are overclocked except trying to get RAM up to speed, and choosing the XMP profile gives me XMP DDR4-4273-19-19-19-39 @ 1.4v, but the number is over what my Mobo is specified with (4133) and RAM sticks are specified by (4266)

I've tried so far, CPU SA Voltage of 1.272, VCCIO 1.336 and DRAM Voltage 1.4000, but it just won't boot.
    I've also checked the timings which I dont quite understand fully, after reading timings on the stick 19-19-19-39, this is what my BIOS says:

Primary Timings:
    DRAM CAS# Latency CHA 14 CHB 14 (19 in the type area)
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay CHA 14 CHB 14 (19 in the type area)
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time CHA 33 CHB 33 (39 in the type area)

Is there something im missing? These are the numbers the XMP profile gives me. Im considering building a completely new rig with carefully picked parts just to get more RAM speed, and in general a better and newer system.
    Last edited by Ventron; 10-05-2020, 03:03 PM.

Your best setting thus far is DDR4-2800? What are the maximum results for each kit on it's own? Might need to confirm that first to make sure there is no issue with one of the memory kits. If same results, then you can try both kits installed to see what max result is with stability. Load BIOS defaults, enable XMP Profile, then manually adjust DRAM Frequency to see what can work. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Your best setting thus far is DDR4-2800? What are the maximum results for each kit on it's own? Might need to confirm that first to make sure there is no issue with one of the memory kits. If same results, then you can try both kits installed to see what max result is with stability. Load BIOS defaults, enable XMP Profile, then manually adjust DRAM Frequency to see what can work. Let us know how it goes.
      I must admit that I feel like an idiot, I started testing and came up with DDR4-3200 before the system would'nt boot, but I didn't read your tip about enabling XMP and then down-adjusting the frequency, so I've been testing now, and the furthest (?) I can go is DDR4-3900, at DDR4-4000 the system bluescreens just before windows log-in screen, so I assume thats where the max point is. I think the XMP profile does not adjust VCCIO Voltage or the System Agent Voltage as they sit at Auto, and the DRAM Voltage is adjuster to 1.4. This is done with all four sticks in, as DDR4-3700 is the highest I could go with four (Did not test with XMP enabled and down-adjusting btw), and Benchmarks via UserBenchmark now says that the RAM sticks performs as expected.

Comment

VCCSA (System Agent) and VCCIO get automatically adjusted by the motherboard. However it can help to manually dial in and reduce both values, since many boards tend to go way overboard with them. So finding the optimal value for your CPU can sometimes stabilize higher memory ratios and also helps lower CPU temperatures a bit.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
          VCCSA (System Agent) and VCCIO get automatically adjusted by the motherboard. However it can help to manually dial in and reduce both values, since many boards tend to go way overboard with them. So finding the optimal value for your CPU can sometimes stabilize higher memory ratios and also helps lower CPU temperatures a bit.
          I noticed that the VCCSA and VCCIO Voltages did change quite a bit after enabling XMP, I'm getting a feeling that they may be a little too high? Ill attach some photos from my BIOS, so you can see what my rig is currently running.

edit: I played some CoD earlier today with the 3900MHz OC, went just fine, when I quit the game, suddenly I had a bluescreen, tried bumping up the voltage to 1.4250 and then I bluescreened right before login screen, that means the voltage is to high maybe?

Comment

Both SA and IO voltage are way too high for DDR4-3800. I'd expect something in the range of 1.2V to 1.25V.
            Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
              Both SA and IO voltage are way too high for DDR4-3800. I'd expect something in the range of 1.2V to 1.25V.
              What would put in? Maybe put in 1.225, and go from there? Should this give me the ability to reach the sticks advertised speeds, or should I maybe stick to 3800 and tighten the timings to get them faster by decreasing the CL?

Comment

So, according to the Task Manager, the RAM speed now are at 4267MHz, with all four sticks inserted, I ended up at 1.4V DRAM (As tested by Asus(?)), 1.225V for both VCCSA and VCCIO, haven't tested any games yet, but the system has booted with no bluescreen yet (30 mins uptime), but will do some testing later this evening.

Comment

Even if you think this 4.266 is stable try to use GSAT (Google Stress App Test)
                  and it shows its not stable

I own g.skill 32gb 4266 cl17 Kit and with
                  VCSSA & VCCIO @1,35v in Bios its not stable - when i load xmp I profile the Maximus XI Extreme gives over 1,4v (which is too high!)

Important settings for me:
                  Using Maximus Tweak Mode 1
                  and set DRAM Command Rate to "2N"

another hint:
                  you can set a higher voltage for vcssa & vccio only for booting the memory,
                  which helps because booting the system is the most stressfull situation.
                  After booting it runs with lower voltages 100%!

What i've done:

running my kit @ 4.100Mhz 16-16-36
                  with VCSSA & VCCIO with 1,2250v (in bios).

For better fail research its better to set the DRAM Voltage higher, like 1,47v up to 1,50v
                  (for Samsung B-Dies 1,5v is ok).

Than you can check the other both voltages.
                  Now i'am using 1,21250v and runnig GSAT.

Short instruction:
                  1) Powershell start as Admin
                  2) Enter:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

3) System must reboot say "yes"
                  4) go to the windows 10 store and download Ubuntu

sudo apt update

sudo apt-get install stressapptest

1 hour test:
                  stressapptest -W -M 27008 -s 3600 --pause_delay 3700

2 hours test (this will find more errors than running only 1h test:
                  stressapptest -W -M 27008 -s 7200 --pause_delay 7300
                  Last edited by Mappi75; 10-21-2020, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mappi75 View Post
                    Even if you think this 4.266 is stable try to use GSAT (Google Stress App Test)
                    and it shows its not stable

I own g.skill 32gb 4266 cl17 Kit and with
                    VCSSA & VCCIO @1,35v in Bios its not stable - when i load xmp I profile the Maximus XI Extreme gives over 1,4v (which is too high!)

Important settings for me:
                    Using Maximus Tweak Mode 1
                    and set DRAM Command Rate to "2N"

another hint:
                    you can set a higher voltage for vcssa & vccio only for booting the memory,
                    which helps because booting the system is the most stressfull situation.
                    After booting it runs with lower voltages 100%!

What i've done:

running my kit @ 4.100Mhz 16-16-36
                    with VCSSA & VCCIO with 1,2250v (in bios).

For better fail research its better to set the DRAM Voltage higher, like 1,47v up to 1,50v
                    (for Samsung B-Dies 1,5v is ok).

Than you can check the other both voltages.
                    Now i'am using 1,21250v and runnig GSAT.

Short instruction:
                    1) Powershell start as Admin
                    2) Enter:

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux

3) System must reboot say "yes"
                    4) go to the windows 10 store and download Ubuntu

sudo apt update

sudo apt-get install stressapptest

1 hour test:
                    stressapptest -W -M 27008 -s 3600 --pause_delay 3700

2 hours test (this will find more errors than running only 1h test:
                    stressapptest -W -M 27008 -s 7200 --pause_delay 7300
                    I had a ton of bluescreens, so I ended up going 3600MHz with CL16 timings.

Comment

Working...
                    X