Overclocking F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
    What postcode error does the board display before rebooting?

Are those single or dual sided sticks?

Edit: Your using BIOS F9c?
    Code 15.
    After reboot a bunch of codes and then 15, a3, a9, ab.
    And ab shows ''boot failure, load optimized defaults? etc.''.

I don't know if they are dual- or single sided, there is no info on the internet and they have heat spreaders attached on both sides.

And yes, I'm using F9c.

Comment

Originally posted by julianbos View Post
      Code 15. After reboot a bunch of codes and then 15, a3, a9, ab. And ab shows ''boot failure, load optimized defaults? etc.''.
      If the memory would have hit its limit, you would usually get 55. So its probably something else.

15 = "Pre-memory North-Bridge initialization is started."

I am not sure, could be IMC voltage or IO voltages... Maybe just start all over again from bios defaults?

In the end you might really need to find the right voltages for SA, VCCIO(a+d). I was never really forced to do it, but the never BIOS versions could be a bit broken in that regard.

I don't know if they are dual- or single sided, there is no info on the internet and they have heat spreaders attached on both sides.
      You can see that with a look at the bottom of the modules. With good light you will see, if there are chips on both sides under the heatspreaders. Also for example HWInfo64 or Aida64 can display it is it a single or dual ranked kit (1Rx8 = Single, 2Rx8 = Dual).

And yes, I'm using F9c.
      Thought so. Then there's no update available and you can't really downgrade, because of the Devils Canyon Microcode needed for your CPU.
      Last edited by emissary42; 08-27-2014, 09:35 AM.
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Look into the heat spreader from bottom up, if there are no chips, it will be solid darkness. The side(s) with chips, there will be gaps of light because of each chip.

Also, can you post some pictures so we can see how things are detected?

Comment

If the memory would have hit its limit, you would usually get 55. So its probably something else.

15 = "Pre-memory North-Bridge initialization is started."

I am not sure, could be IMC voltage or IO voltages... Maybe just start all over again from bios defaults?

In the end you might really need to find the right voltages for SA, VCCIO(a+d). I was never really forced to do it, but the never BIOS versions could be a bit broken in that regard.

You can see that with a look at the bottom of the modules. With good light you will see, if there are chips on both sides under the heatspreaders. Also for example HWInfo64 or Aida64 can display it is it a single or dual ranked kit (1Rx8 = Single, 2Rx8 = Dual).

Thought so. Then there's no update available and you can't really downgrade, because of the Devils Canyon Microcode needed for your CPU.
          I'll try from scratch again then.
          And the dimms are both ''1 rank, 8 banks''. So single sided.
          And I can downgrade to F8c. But I don't think that'll solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            Look into the heat spreader from bottom up, if there are no chips, it will be solid darkness. The side(s) with chips, there will be gaps of light because of each chip.

Also, can you post some pictures so we can see how things are detected?
            Pictures from bios, hwinfo or device management?
            What information exactly should I screenshot?

Comment

EFI, like advanced memory timings similar to emissary's photos.

Comment

Here you are, hope they're useful!

http://i.imgur.com/e9Yovk5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rct0qxR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5AVcCRj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rW6Zg1K.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WVec5su.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fzQUzaO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FxPfOKE.jpg
                Last edited by julianbos; 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Have you already taken a look at the bios settings?

Comment

Yea, you got voltages jacked up everywhere, are you sure all that is necessary?

RAM is at 1.80V... you need to lower that.

Where I see may help you a lot is memory timings.

Advanced Timing Control:

tRRD 7
                    tWTR 8
                    tWR 16
                    tRTP 8

Command Rate 2

That should help a lot

Comment

Yea, you got voltages jacked up everywhere, are you sure all that is necessary?

RAM is at 1.80V... you need to lower that.

Where I see may help you a lot is memory timings.

Advanced Timing Control:

tRRD 7
                      tWTR 8
                      tWR 16
                      tRTP 8

Command Rate 2

That should help a lot
                      Thank you!
                      But even with those crazy voltages and the timings you provided, it won't boot..

Comment

Those crazy will probably hurt stability more than they help. Some of them are beyond what i would call safe for air cooling. I'd suggest starting over again from bios defaults.

Memory timings:

10-11-12-28-7-8-16-20-8-280-8-28-2 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RRD-WTR-WR-WTP-WL-RFC-RTP-FAW-CMD)

if that does not work

10-12-12-31-7-9-16-21-8-320-8-32-2 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RRD-WTR-WR-WTP-WL-RFC-RTP-FAW-CMD)
                        11-12-12-31-7-9-16-22-8-340-9-32-2 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RRD-WTR-WR-WTP-WL-RFC-RTP-FAW-CMD)

Let the board chose system voltages itself and start at 1.65V vdimm. Higher than that is very unlikely to be necessary, esp for the third setting. You can also try the first setting, but with a higher tRFC of 320+.

Comment

Those crazy will probably hurt stability more than they help. Some of them are beyond what i would call safe for air cooling. I'd suggest starting over again from bios defaults.

Memory timings:

10-11-12-28-7-8-16-20-8-280-8-28-2 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RRD-WTR-WR-WTP-WL-RFC-RTP-FAW-CMD)

if that does not work

10-12-12-31-7-9-16-21-8-320-8-32-2 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RRD-WTR-WR-WTP-WL-RFC-RTP-FAW-CMD)
                          11-12-12-31-7-9-16-22-8-340-9-32-2 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RRD-WTR-WR-WTP-WL-RFC-RTP-FAW-CMD)

Let the board chose system voltages itself and start at 1.65V vdimm. Higher than that is very unlikely to be necessary, esp for the third setting. You can also try the first setting, but with a higher tRFC of 320+.
                          - Load optimized defaults.
                          - VDIMM 1.65V.
                          - Change timings (Tried the 3 you provided).
                          - Save and exit.

No boot

Comment

What postcode did you get on the debug display?
                            Last edited by emissary42; 10-02-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

What postcode did you get on the debug display?
                              When I hit save and exit in the bios I get code 15, then a reboot, then a bunch of codes which appear and disappear way too fast for me to read and then code A9 and then Ab (bios).
                              Which shows a message that it couldn't boot and asks to load optimized defaults or to enter bios.

Comment

15 is pre-memory north bridge initialization. That is memory related but can also be improper system voltages. If it were the memory timings or Vdimm itself, you'd get 55 most of the time. So i guess its time to manually adjust VCCSA, IO(a) and IO(d)? Start with small offsets, maybe

VCCSA +0.036V / +0.060V
                                IO(a) +0.015V / +0.036V
                                IO(d) +0.015V / +0.036V

See if that changes things. Also keep a higher tRFC until your can consistently POST and have stable settings. You can try to lower it later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X