• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fresh build, ripjaws x, getting blue screens

Motherboard: Intel DZ77GAL-70K
    cpu : Intel i7-3770k lga 1155
    storage : Intel 180gb SSD 520 series
    Video card : Zotac Geforce GTX 660 (zt-60901-10m)
    Power supply: Thermaltake SP750m 750 watts
    cpu cooler : Corsair H110 water cooled system
    case : Corsair Vengeance C70

Memory : Gskill Ripjaws X F3-2133C9D-16GXH

My issue is, this is a brand new build that was finished yesterday, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit was installed, first boot was fine, then after video card driver (latest downloaded from zotac site) was installed (windows updates also downloading in background) I got the first blue screen, system re-booted, lost video card driver, I then installed video card driver from supplied DVD, when windows update was installing system crashed again, and upon reboot would not budge from 0% installing, after a couple of minutes it would boot into windows but everytime I would try to shut down window would try to install updates and crash.

I have not messed with any memory timings as of now, my question is would manually setting the timings solve my issue? On a side note my previous build (the one I am typing with now) with only 8gig Ares ram 2770k biostar mobo has been rock solid ever since.

Also, I am no overclocking expert so all suggestions should be given at 2yr old level, lol
    I've been trying to learn online about timings but it still hasn't clicked yet.

thank you in advance to all,

Quickest thing to try is simply try the other stick now, by its self to see if its functioning properly. If it is, go into the bios and look for memory settings. Find XMP and enable the profile that matches your kits ratings (9-11-11-31-2t). See if it will boot after that. If so you are done if not come back here
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

when you say other stick do you mean the Ares from my other desktop?

Comment

Oh hell i misread that, try your system with only one stick of the memory you purchased. If it works then try it with the other one, see if you have a bad stick or some other issue.

http://www.memtest.org/

Can go there, download memtest, burn to cd, restart your computer and it will check to see if a stick is bad (do it one stick at a time)

Edit: cd must still be in burner for it to auto run the program

Edit2: I do find it interesting that Gskill only lists 1600 mhz ram at the top end on this kit. Did you try to use them plug and play or did you try to enter the timings they are rated for?
        Last edited by supahos; 10-18-2013, 06:27 AM.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Thanks for the help, one more question, I know the memory comes with a bunch of timing numbers and sorry for the noob question but where do I enter these numbers, I dont want to screw anything up, I went to the site and downloaded the memtest usb version and will check that tonight when I get home, I read my mobo quick start guide and could not find the section with xmp.

Comment

I've never actually used a board manufactured by Intel. However they are all usually rather similar, there should be a Dram timing section or something similar in the bios. (usually hit delete, F1, or F2 depending on board during initial boot) it will let you change settings, you can't hurt anything playing with dram timings, worst case the computer won't boot and you'll have to reset the cmos (instructions should be in maual for that if it won't pull itself out of a boot loop.) There should be a section that says dram speed, I would start by setting it to 1600 mhz first with the timings listed on the stick just to ensure things are working properly. Sounds like you may have a bad stick though, so run memtest on each stick by itself and it may tell you what you need to know.

Comment

If you see XMP Profile or any memory profile in BIOS, make sure it is enabled.

Timings are tCL9 - tRCD 11 - tRP 11 - tRAS 30, Frequency is DDR3-2133, voltage is 1.60V

Make sure these values are input and everything should run smoothly.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

I ran memtest on both sticks they both passed. when i used xmp profile 1 it gave a Post error message. I tried to manually enter timings only difference being tRASmin nbeing 30 instead o of 31.

still beeps like crazy when it boots. the only way it will boot to wi.ndows is left on Auto. with 1333mhz 1.5v 9-9-9-24 timings. I dont get it.

Comment

Try 1600 mhz @ the same timings

Comment

would the ram cause issues with windows updates installing? should I re-install windows, drivers all over again?

Comment

If it crashed mid update it certainly could, otherwise no

Comment

will try your last suggestion tonight, never thought Id have more issues with this build when the mobo cpu ssd are all from the same mfg. is there a way to find out what is failing POST?

Comment

After some reading I'm not a fan of Intel boards, however their processors and SSD are very top notch

Comment

I know... But it was a good deal when I got the cpu ssd and mobo at the same time, I really like the Biostar that I used for my previous build, maybe if I cant get this new build running well, I will buy a new mobo, any suggestions? Also, I might borrow the Ares ram I have in the other comp, it's only 8 gig though. I'll start with your speed adjustment, then I"ll try a re-install of windows/drivers. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted, I also took some pics of the settings and a video of when it freaked out, let me know if it can help to look at it.

Comment

no luck with the settings you suggested at 1866mhz. strangely I got it to work at xmp profile 1 at 2133mhz for a bit. then i took out the cmos battery to reset it. i think i messed up windows when i was swapping ram. now im trying to re install windows

Comment

Working...
                              X