No announcement yet.

Jon's OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran it at 8 8 9 24 for a little while. Haven't played around with it much. Family and work have been keeping me busy. 2400 is looking attainable at this point though.

Comment

Sitting at 9-10-10-30 1t @2133mhz. It is stable. Was getting some impressive benchmarks at 2200 with low subtimings. Too bad those didn't stay stable. Not sure if it was heat or something else. ASUS labels things a lil different in BIOS, been playing around with different settings. Running a little high across the board with voltage, might drop it to 2t and drop the voltage. I'll have to save current settings so I have a baseline to work off of, or at least a point where I can load up last known stable clocks and go back to gaming. 2400 wasn't acheivable even with high voltage and 10 13 13 2t timings. I was a little disappointed. Can't complain too much, I am still surprised at the latency drop with this new mobo. I'll post my unstable overclock benchmarks later lol. I need to be more patient when stress testing.

Comment

So DDR3-2200 9-11-11-28 1T is possible, but not stable yet? Then you basically just have to tweak subs and system voltages (VCCIO, VCCSA). Go for DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28 afterwards.

If you need help, show me a screenshot of your UEFI with the primary & secondary timings for DDR3-2400.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
          So DDR3-2200 9-11-11-28 1T is possible, but not stable yet? Then you basically just have to tweak subs and system voltages (VCCIO, VCCSA). Go for DDR3-2400 10-12-12-28 afterwards.

If you need help, show me a screenshot of your UEFI with the primary & secondary timings for DDR3-2400.
          I'll try and get it today. Here are some of the results I was getting. Seemed like any setting I entered was bootable, but on y-cruncher it would throw errors without any crashes. Added more voltage to vdimm, and vccsa. Had to enable PLL overvoltage to get current timings completely stable.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/sQ6hp/embed"></iframe>

Comment

Got it stable at 9 11 11 1t, couldn't 'hit 2400 afterwards. Been doing some reading, I might be acting like a weenie when it comes to VCCSA voltage. Highest I tried it was 1.17ish. Read on the asus site they have gone up to 1.4, my assumption is that was done on air cooling. Might also drop cpu down to 3.4, about ready to try everything to hit 2400mhz. Everytime I play with voltages I keep looking off to my left at my old mobo...maybe I should stuff that in the closest and forget about it.

Comment

It is not advisable to just crank up VCCSA or VCCIO mindlessly all the way up to ridiculous voltages (that is what i would call VCCSA@1.4V). It would probably hurt stability more than it helps. Move it upwards in small steps. If you feel stability is not improving at all, the timings or something else could be off. For basic stability it might not even be needed at all, but that varies quite a bit from CPU to CPU.

G.SKILL RipjawsX F3-2400C11D-8GXM. It was just a quick test at minimal Vdimm needed for XMP settings. All other voltages were left at stock, since thats good enough for 32M @ 2400 with my CPU.

Comment

hmmm...vccsa is at 1.1625 currently. I think I will drop that along with a few other things. It was stable, temps seem ok. My google kung fu was getting mixed results on max for those settings.

Was messing with bclk again as well. I think I will have to start from original oc settings and work my way back up through voltage.

Comment

Just bought the 2400mhz set...also mailed away my first G.skill set
                  Will have to play with timings when that arrives. Probably won't touch voltage until at least the 5th BSOD.

Comment

bah, still hitting the 2200mhz ceiling. RAM voltage is at 1.655, vccsa is at 1. Most of the timings are on auto, this is currently my most stable clock at my current settings. Couldn't boot at 2400 no matter what I tried. 12 12 12 36 at 2t 1.66 RAM volts didn't boot. I think I am out of luck.

Comment

What board was that again?

I don't know, what you have been trying, but since you never did provide the information i asked for, just try:

DDR3-2400

CL 10
                      tRCD 12
                      tRP 12
                      tRAS 28
                      CR 2/1
                      tRRD 7/6/5
                      tRFC 300
                      tWR 16
                      tRTP 8
                      tWTR 8
                      tCKE 6/5/AUTO
                      tFAW 36/32/28
                      tWCL 8

( DRAM IO-Latency CH-A/B 4 )
                      ( tREFI 7936/9363/10400 )

VCCIO 1.15V
                      VCCSA 1.10V

VDIMM 1.65V (might also try 1.68 just for kicks)

If that is stable, do some performance tests, take notes and then lower voltages and tweak timings.
                      Last edited by emissary42; 04-12-2014, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Wasn't able to hit 2400 at suggested timings. Will have to write down all timings in bios later. Would screenshot, but the only usb drive I have has my windows iso on it. Reluctant to mess with it since that has apparently dissappeared from the digital rivers site.

I tried raising all of my timings at 2400, couldn't even get it to boot. Afraid to puch vccsa too high, might fry another mobo. Currently at 9-10-10 2t stable. Not sure why I can't hit 2400 either. No matter hoiw high I raise clocks it doesn't boot up.

Comment

Have a 2400 Trident X kit, followed suggestions on thread to see if cpu is capable of those speeds but haven't flashed bios yet.
                          http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...r-Overclocking
                          Been reading over this to try and figure out a magic number for voltage settings.

Managed to get a new BSOD error. PFN_List_Corrupt. Might have to throw in my other set of trident x.
                          Slightely worried that my new set is defective but I am going to wait til K version of cpu arrives, and I flash bios to the most up to date version.

Learning some more stuff, refining my troubleshooting skills. Wearing out my desk from banging my head against it so much. I don't need the speed, I simply want it. Really badly...

Comment

New CPU...
                            http://valid.x86.fr/x68jtv
                            Getting sidetracked with the cpu overclock. I did boot up at 2600mhz on the RAM but things went down hill fast. Was only able to boot into windows...damn.
                            http://valid.canardpc.com/iubt1a

Comment

What kit exactly are you using now? With those F3-1866C8D-16GTX from a few posts back forget about anything over DDR3-2400. If you got yourself another kit like F3-2400C9D-8GTXD, i can look through my screenshots for one containing all the timings & subs DDR3-2600/2666 if you want (as a starting point, to get you rolling).

And please remember: First get memory to where you want it, then start oc'ing the CPU. The other way around you will need to fix voltages again, after raising memory clock.

Edit:

The right voltages you have to find for yourself, but the timings are not that tight... maybe your kit can do 'em too =)

Comment

Yeah, I bought a new (used) cpu. And also bought a 2400 kit. I am playing around with new cpu still that is why one validation has only turbo boost clocks on it lol. Just getting a feel for it you know? Running 4.4 on cpu at xmp settings at 2400 stable so it looks promising. Except I randomly lose sound so I guess it ain't quite that stable. Next goal is 2600 stable but I'll have to wait til I have the time. Been working OT to justify the pc parts I bought.

Comment

Working...
                                X