No announcement yet.

Jon's OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2400 was a no go. I'll try again later, but for now...

Is there a ratio I need to maintain for tWTR, tRRD, and tRTP? It seems like if I drop those too much, or have one with a bigger clock difference then the rest I have a (negligible) decrease in speed.

For now, I am very happy sitting at 2200mhz. I'll eventually attempt 2400 again, once the bootloop memories fade away.

Comment

Originally posted by jon666 View Post
      Is there a ratio I need to maintain for tWTR, tRRD, and tRTP? It seems like if I drop those too much, or have one with a bigger clock difference then the rest I have a (negligible) decrease in speed.
      Watch the tertiaries when you see a performance decrease. Lower should be faster, esp. with tRRD.

If those sticks can do DDR3-2133/2000 9-10-10 then they will also do DDR3-2400 10-11-11/10-11-12/10-12-12.

Why command rate @ 2t? tWCL = 7 a no go?
      Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I've been distracted by work, so I'm basically doing all my oc's quick and dirty. If it survives the basic intel burn test, and lots of gaming, it is stable. I am going off of how my old set performed because I don't want to take away from too much of my gaming time (stress reliever). I am definitely open to any suggestions. Another thing I should add is that I am at a +.06 offset for cpu already, and 1.65 for RAM. Not much wiggle room for this motherboard. I could probably drop the offset for cpu, was playing around with FSB timings for a while, back to stock. This set of RAM has promise, I just need to invest the time to figure out how high I can push it.

Have only had to reset CMOS twice so far...

Comment

My thought on the ratios was that since everything has to be refreshed every once in a while was that there might be a certain time that everything else should be set at so that nothing is affected. I am assuming effiency is key in getting the lowest latency depending on the chipset? Or is effiency what determines stability?
          http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~pnair6/...sh_Pausing.pdf
          I understand maybe 10% of what is described in that paper, so any additional information would be appreciated. Especially if you could dumb it down lol.

I am assuming that if I could get my read, write, and copy speeds balanced out it would have the most noticeable effect in everyday usage.

As for tertiary timings, I have kept those on auto. I don't think they change with the other timings though...even with all the changes I have made. Not sure if a BIOS upgrade would fix that, but I doubt MSi would bother with those options on a low end board. I wish I had more wiggle room with RAM voltage because everything is ~.1-2 lower then what I set it at.

Comment

Another thing I should add is that I am at a +.06 offset for cpu already, and 1.65 for RAM.
            1.65V for the memory is more than enough. You probalby need to raise VCCSA (and/or VCCIO) for DDR3-2400.

I am assuming that if I could get my read, write, and copy speeds balanced out it would have the most noticeable effect in everyday usage.
            Ultimate balance between the three is not that important, but it sure helps to not have one of those completely dumpstered.

As for tertiary timings, I have kept those on auto. I don't think they change with the other timings though...
            The board might have raised on or two tertiaries to adjust for stability with your tighter secondaries (tRRD, tWTR, tRTP).

Comment

Got it to boot with a command rate of 1, and I moved the FSB clock up a little bit again, because I haven't learned my lesson yet. Tried above timings for 2400, didn't work, already running the volts higher then I should be.

[url]http:/

Comment

Motherboard is dying on me. Have a new one coming in. Oops. Payed a little more for this motherboard so it should hold up. I don't know how much it will affect overclocking, but we will find out.

Comment

What will you get this time around?

Comment

It is an ASUS z77 pro board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131819
                    Should arrive tomorrow (hopefully, finally got this board to post after swapping every part imaginable haven't turned it off since). I will probably try both sets I have if my 4x4 doesn't sell. The eight sata ports sold me more then anything, but I am hoping all the power phases will prevent another death.

Three day weekend, so if it does arrive...I will christen my new mobo with multiple BSOD's

Comment

I am hoping all the power phases will prevent another death.
                      So you wrecked your Z77A-G43's vrm?^^

The -V Pro is pretty solid and should last quite some time, even if you push your 3770 to the limit (~ 43x105).

Comment

I have a feeling the power going out a few weeks back contributed. I might have to invest in a UPS, the power goes out often enough in the winter to justify it. At any rate I will probably try 43x105 again lol. Temps are an issue at that setting, was able to run it fine after throwing open the window when it was below freezing out. Maybe that is why people use LN2, it is more comfortable.

Comment

Well if you're temperature limited, the answer would be better cooling right?

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
                            Well if you're temperature limited, the answer would be better cooling right?
                            I am going to try very hard to stay away from LN2. Been looking at setups that use it for half the day now. I can't afford that! I would probably try to rig up something with tinfoil like what I have seen on the internet. Would be shoddy, but I want those last few mhz. In the mean time I've been trying to think up solutions to have a decent fan blowing across my mobo. I think that would improve things a lot.

Comment

Quick overclock on new mobo. Might be able to hit 2400 on this one. Looks promising so far.

Will be gone for the rest of the weekend, we will see if I can do any more on Sunday.
                              Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

I am going to try very hard to stay away from LN2.
                                You're still miles away from anything that needs LN2. Increasing airflow should do the job just fine.

So how far did you get with your new kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X