Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asus TUF x670e, Z5 neo 6000 64GB, boot after AC power loss issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus TUF x670e, Z5 neo 6000 64GB, boot after AC power loss issue.

I've got this kit from G-skill,
    F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N - QVL - G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.
    it's not in the QVL list of the Asus TUF board that i have, but it works fine...

Until I cut the AC power (Power outages are not uncommon where i live)... then if I have any kind of overclocking enabled (EXPO or manual tweaks to Frequency, timings or voltage) the system gets stuck on memory training unless a bios reset.
    On top of that, i have to remove the GPU each time i do a bios reset (Zotac RTX 4090), because it doesn't boot up at first from either IGPU or the discrete GPU when the GPU is installed

Both the motherboard and GPU has the latest bios updates.
    Everything works at stock settings. Actually i am about to give up since performance increase from 4800- 40 40 40 73 stock to 6000 30 40 40 96 is marginal in most situations.
    CPU is 7950x, so the memory controller should be fine.
    There are no stability issues running this kit at specified frequency and timings, other than this boot issue.

Asus support said the RAM is not in the qvl list so it's normal to experience problems. But i think it's not normal because there are no 64 GB kits with these specs in the list.
    And i have encountered someone else who has a QVL 32 GB, G.Skill Flare z5 kit with the same issue.

That is not a memory but more of a motherboard or configuration issue. On a cold boot after power was cut the motherboard probably has to load some configuration data for it's embedded controllers first before it can apply your "OC" / EXPO settings. Usually that requires a double start, where the DRAM training and actual POST happens in the 2nd one. However some UEFI settings might prevent that, which results in a failed POST and eventually in the motherboard reverting to safe boot settings, usually with an "overclocking failed" type of message.

I would look if a BIOS update is available and then start over with just optimized defaults & EXPO.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      That is not a memory but more of a motherboard or configuration issue.
      Thank you for your response.
      I also hope a bios update might fix it but unfortunately I have the latest Bios. Asus support dismissed the issue is expected as it's a non QVL kit, but i have encountered a couple other people since, who experienced similar problems with QVL GSkill memory kits.

My work around solution was getting an UPS and not letting the computer to fall into that state, but that has it's own problems =)

Comment

If it is not enabled by default and that option is available in the UEFI, try to set a memory oc retry count. I am not familiar with the TUF series, but the ROG models usually have it. Sometimes you can also configure, that the system should automatically safe boot upon a failed POST. Then all you would need to do is enter the UEFI and reapply your settings from a saved profile.
        Last edited by emissary42; 01-01-2023, 07:06 AM.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Working...
        X