Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memory timings problems (and possibly bigger memory problems?) F4-3600C19-16GVRB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory timings problems (and possibly bigger memory problems?) F4-3600C19-16GVRB

Memory: G Skill Ripjaws V series 2x16GB 3600 CL 19 DDR4 (F4-3600C19-16GVRB)
    Mobo: X570 Aorus pro wifi
    CPU: 5800x
    Bios: F35d
    This 3-year-old set no longer posts above 2133MHz. (System seems stable at that speed, though). I Can’t get it to post at 3200, using ryzen dram calculator’s suggested safe settings (which I entered to the best of my abilities, some timing names aren’t identical on my motherboard). I then tried the xmp profile (3600 MHz, won’t post) and that same profile changing only 3600 down to 3200, staying at 1.35V. Upon reset, computer stayed idle, all fans on, for about an hour without reaching the mobo splash screen. I had to turn it off and on. When it finally reached Windows, it was back at 2400 MHz.

I should also say, as it might be related, that I’ve been having an issue with turning my computer on, where the mobo fan spins and the system seems to work for 30-90 seconds before slowing down and actually doing what used to be happening right from the start: 5 seconds of silence, showing me the splash screen and then loading windows 10.

Could anyone help?
    Could the memory have gone bad? Or the motherboard? How to tell?

Here are the latest settings that I tried. Though I suspect that my problem isn't a timings problem.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220404_182902.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	706.8 KB
ID:	168172

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220404_183205.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	753.7 KB
ID:	168173
    Attached Files

Try each module individually to see if one performs differently. Run a memory diagnostics tests to see if any errors arise. If confirmed an issue with memory, submit the RMA form online:

https://www.gskill.com/rma

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Try each module individually to see if one performs differently. Run a memory diagnostics tests to see if any errors arise. If confirmed an issue with memory, submit the RMA form online:

https://www.gskill.com/rma
      Thanks for the reply. Are there memory tests that I can run from inside Windows, or do I need to create a bootable for Memtest 86?

Regarding testing individually, do you mean removing one stick and trying to use the XMP?

Comment

In Windows search, input 'mem' and it should prompt you with the test.

Yes, individual testing with or without XMP, run the memory diagnostics test, main thing is to see if there is difference between them as they should be same. Individual capability can also provide insight to where limitations may be.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1987.jpg Views:	3 Size:	306.1 KB ID:	168181 1T ore 2T
          we do not use xmp, it will mem 1T and they are probably not happy about that, I fought with my boy's mem for 2 days before I discover that they should run 2T, have had a problem again since
          Last edited by Martin.v.r; 04-07-2022, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
            In Windows search, input 'mem' and it should prompt you with the test.

Yes, individual testing with or without XMP, run the memory diagnostics test, main thing is to see if there is difference between them as they should be same. Individual capability can also provide insight to where limitations may be.
            Here are my results:
            Windows found no memory errors.
            I had one stick in A2 and another in B2. Removed the one in B2. Delay at startup until I got a warning that CMOS had been cleared and bios had been reset. Enabled XMP., it posted like a charm, without the usual delay. CPU-Z confirmed that memory was on the XMP profile. I then swapped the other module in A2, still just using one module, same charm, all went perfectly. Thinking that maybe my B2 slot is the problem, I installed both sticks in A1 and B1, knowing that it's not optimal, but hoping that it at least works. Boy did it ever not work. Computer turned on for 2 sec and then off. then on, then off. I was going to pull the plug when it stayed on for a long while until turning off again, never getting to post. I turned the PSU off and removed my sticks from A1 and B1. I am now on one stick in A2. The delay is back at post, but at least the XMP profile works.

So I guess that the next step is contacting my MOBO manufacturer? Or buying one stick with double the ram and just using A2? Other ideas?

Thanks!

Comment

You need to use slot 2/4 for dual, put the voltage in the bios for your mem, and maybe you need to look at the va / sa voltage, if xmp does not work with both mem, then try to slot it off, and set the speed to mem yourself ,set your mem to run 2T

can also be your motherboard undervoltage, so you can try to bother your mem 0.5v more than they should have org in the bios

?? have you updated the bios on your motherboard

Last edited by Martin.v.r; 04-10-2022, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X