Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help, 4 sticks of Ripjaws V, Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

Hi,
    For my recent build I bought 2 packs of G.SKILL Ripjaws V, Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK, from the same vendor at the same time, hoping to populate all 4 slots on my Asus Tuf Gaming x570-Plus mb, and run them at 3200MHz. My CPU is Ryzen 9 3900X. I had no idea there might be an issue with getting them all up to 3200MHz.

But when I tried, using the Ai Tweaker in Asus BIOS, the computer wouldn’t post until I got back into BIOS and set it back to default settings at 2133MHz.

After watching the YouTube vid, “How to Manually Tune Your DDR4 Memory For Ryzen” by Hardware Unboxed, I tried setting my BIOS using “Thaiphoon Burner” and “DRAM Calculator for Ryzen 1.7.0 by 1usmus”, manually entering all the figures. It still didn’t work with 4 sticks of ram. Thaiphoon Burner listed each stick as Samsung B-die.

With 2 sticks together from the same pack, oc was no problem using Ai Tweaker. CPU-Z and cmd prompt “wmic memorychip get speed” both confirmed 3200MHz. 3200 was also achieved with each of the individual sticks, and also with 2 sticks together, one from each pack. But 4 together, no good.

Can anyone help? Any advice? Thanks.
    Last edited by j-p; 03-26-2020, 05:23 PM.

Both kits work fine individually, in the slots A2+B2? Then it might be a compatibility issue between both kits.

Also don't trust the B-Die identification from Thaiphoon Burner in cases like this. From my experience they are very likely Samsung 8Gbit C-Die instead. These require very different settings and prefer lower voltages in general. I tested a couple of single modules and also some kits for their OC capabilities and they were able to hit DDR4-3600 pretty easy, with timings like 18-20-20 and at voltages below 1.35V (and some already showed negative scaling above that value).
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      Both kits work fine individually, in the slots A2+B2? Then it might be a compatibility issue between both kits.

Also don't trust the B-Die identification from Thaiphoon Burner in cases like this. From my experience they are very likely Samsung 8Gbit C-Die instead. These require very different settings and prefer lower voltages in general. I tested a couple of single modules and also some kits for their OC capabilities and they were able to hit DDR4-3600 pretty easy, with timings like 18-20-20 and at voltages below 1.35V (and some already showed negative scaling above that value).
      It works fine with one stick from one kit paired with a second stick from the other kit. Shouldn't they then be compatible?

In the Ryzen Dram Calculator drop down list there is no Samsung C-die, but S, D/E, and OEM. I tried inputting the figures from all of them.

Comment

If two sticks from different kits work fine together, then its likely your board or the IMC can't handle the frequency with all four slots populated and 8 ranks. You can verify this by testing the XMP with a manually reduced memory ratio of 3100/3066/3000/2933. There should be any other adjustments necessary. How far you have to reduce the frequency depens on your system.

With full manual settings you might be able to reach 3200 with all four modules regardless. However the calculator probably won't help with this. I have not used it myself but from my memory C-Die owners are supposed to use the generic Samsung OEM preset.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
          If two sticks from different kits work fine together, then its likely your board or the IMC can't handle the frequency with all four slots populated and 8 ranks. You can verify this by testing the XMP with a manually reduced memory ratio of 3100/3066/3000/2933. There should be any other adjustments necessary. How far you have to reduce the frequency depens on your system.

With full manual settings you might be able to reach 3200 with all four modules regardless. However the calculator probably won't help with this. I have not used it myself but from my memory C-Die owners are supposed to use the generic Samsung OEM preset.
          Hey, what do you know. It works at 3066MHz. That sounds better than 2133. I might try for more, I might not. But it's nice to know I can fall back on 3066.
          Thanks emissary42.

Comment

Working...
          X