G.SKILL 128GB (8 x 16GB) TridentZ Series OVERCLOCKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.SKILL 128GB (8 x 16GB) TridentZ Series OVERCLOCKING

Hello! I recently upgraded my G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory to G.SKILL 128GB (8 x 16GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz.

I tried setting it to 3200Mhz using XMP profiles but it doesn't seem to reflect. It only shows 1200Mhz in the task manager (I'm expecting 1600Mhz). I tried both profiles, memory try it, and even manually setting the DRAM Frequencies and timing but all to no avail.

I successfully OC'ed my previous memory to 1500Mhz using XMP profile before but I don't understand why it's not working now with the new set of memories.

My components are:
    CPU: AMD Threadripper 2990WX 3 GHz 32-Core Processor
    MOBO: MSI MEG X399 CREATION EATX sTR4
    RAM: G.SKILL 128GB (8 x 16GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz

Are my pc parts not compatible in some way? Any insight/ideas will help.

Josh

Memory controller or motherboard might not be able to reach higher frequencies with all DIMM slots populated.Usually the RAM configurator should reflect that. It would mean, that your motherboard is probably not on the QVL of that SKU.

My recommendation would be to make sure the BIOS is up to date and then test for the max frequency, that successfully does POST and is stable enough to boot into Windows, moving up from 2400 step by step to 2933. If the system is used for anything critical, make sure to properly test stability afterwards.

Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
      Memory controller or motherboard might not be able to reach higher frequencies with all DIMM slots populated.Usually the RAM configurator should reflect that. It would mean, that your motherboard is probably not on the QVL of that SKU.

My recommendation would be to make sure the BIOS is up to date and then test for the max frequency, that successfully does POST and is stable enough to boot into Windows, moving up from 2400 step by step to 2933. If the system is used for anything critical, make sure to properly test stability afterwards.
      So you meant to say that it is still possible to reach 2933 or even 3200 if I update my BIOS even if the part is not on the QVL? Thanks for the reply.

Comment

From the results of the compatibility testing 3200 probably isn't, but up to 2933 might be possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MSIX399Creation.png
Views:	14
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	169770 Click image for larger version

Name:	MSIX399Creation.png
Views:	14
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	169771

The only way to find out, is to test it with your specific hardware.

With unqualified configurations like that, the limitations can stem from different causes. If it is just the memory training failing with the XMP @ 3200 and all slots populated, you might still be able to get there with a proper manual overclock. While that can be very daunting and lengthy process with 128GB in itself, ultimately you could also find out, that it actually was a hardware limitation of the motherboard instead.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by emissary42; 05-11-2024, 04:46 AM.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thanks again for these info. I actually checked the G.Skill configuration but couldn't find my exact mobo model in the list. Seeing your screenshot, It seems that I might've just overlooked it.

I was able to hit 3000Mhz by adjusting the DRAM Frequency, unfortunately, as you've said, there's a limitation with the MOBO. I was able to confirm this by checking with my mobo's QVL not the other way around. Thanks again for the help, I guess this is sufficient seeing that 3000Mhz is not that far to 3200.

Comment

Working...
          X