Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4 3600c 18Q 128gb DDR4 Asus Tuf Gaming z690 plus wifi D4 Help

Good afternoon.
    So Im facing an issue and hope to seek some helpful answer here by this awesome community.

I bought the Asus Tuf Gaming z690, 12900k i9, and the 128gb 3600C 18Q(18-22-22-42) 4X32 Gskill ripjaw ram for my new build back in November. When I looked at the QVL on Asus site for this exact RAM, it said compatible. I even emailed ASUS and they agreed it was compatible. But one thing they failed to mention, and I failed to see on the QVL is it is only compatible with 2 stick for 64gb and not all 4 sticks for 128gb.

I finished my build in December and it seemed to be running good. Till one afternoon I got a BSOD upon booting. The Dmp file pointed at ram. Thinking it was maybe a driver issue. I updated any out of date drivers and continued on. After some time later, I BSOD in the middle of an intense music session with a lot of RAM hungry VIs running. That dmp file also pointed at possible ram issue. Started to get worried. I updated any drivers I could, and did a win repair and repaired the system of corrupted windows files. Hoping I had remedied the situation till last week. I fired up a game. Instantly BSOD, rebooted the PC, BSOD again upon boot up. Booted again, tried to fire the new game up again, crashed 4-5 times then got another BSOD. All dmp files still pointing at RAM. Ok now it was time to run some tests and trouble shoot. I obviously am having some sort of issue with my RAM.

I ran memtest86, 14 hours, after 4 passes I only got 1 error, on the first pass. Nothing on the 3 other passes. I got ahold of the company I have a protection plan with to RMA the RAM and they suggested that there wasnt enough errors to actually determine it was the RAM. And to trouble shoot some more. Test each stick individually and so on. I tested each stick. All 4 passed. I put in just 2 sticks for 64gb, both passed. I decided to look up my motherboard RAM QVL again and noticed my RAM is not compatible with my Mobo with the full 4 sticks. Needless to say I was really bummed and felt kinda sick about this HUGE expensive mistake I had just made. I dont have the money to shell out for another 4x32 sticks of 128gb RAM. Ouch!

So here is the main question. Any way I can downclock the RAM and have it still be compatible and stable? Maybe running it at 3400, or even 3200? Ive never overclocked or downclocked RAM before so I have no clue where to begin. Ive read about timings, voltages and the frequency, I know where it is in ASUS Bios, but not sure if I should adjust anything else or only the Dram frequency itself. Is this RAM even worth trying to downclock to make stable or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy something off the QVL?

Its been suggested to set XMP 1 on, and downclock the Dram frequency to 3200 and then test with Memtest without changing voltages and timings. Is that all I should do?

Any help and suggestions are accepted. Im a beginner and willing to learn. Any step by step manuals on clocking ram is good too. Im open for any ideas and help. Please.

Have a great afternoon and thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Creatureye; 04-03-2023, 01:32 PM.

Yes, you have the correct idea. If even a lower DRAM Frequency such as DDR4-3200 is unstable, then you may need to test one module at a time to see if one performs differently than others, or produces error while others do not. It is possible a module is defective and causing the issue. In that case, send them in for replacement:

https://www.gskill.com/rma-policy

Here is the G.Skill RAM Configurator for your motherboard model:

https://www.gskill.com/configurator?...A73600%20MT/s,

Highest tested frequency is DDR4-3200 for 128GB.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

Ive tested all 4 the sticks at 3600 and failed with 1 error. Then I tested them individually and passed, then in pairs and they passed. After the passed tests is when I found out that they were not compatible with my z690 as a full 4 sticks on the QVL, only 2 sticks.

I made sure they were installed correctly and in the right module according to S/N as instructed.

1-A2
      2-B2
      3-A1
      4-B1

I then went into bios enabled XMP again and changed the clock frequency to 3500 down from 3600 and will let memtest run all night tonight. It takes about 14 hours to run 4 full passes on my 128gb. If its not stable Ill drop them down to 3400 and test again. Rinse and repeat until Im stable. If I cant get them stable at 3200 Ill just buy new RAM, which I cant afford that option but this is my big mistake. Pretty upset with myself.

Am I doing this right? any other suggestions?

Comment

Alright. I clocked the RAM down to 3500. Looped one of my most intensive RAM hungry orchestral sessions for 2 hours with no bsod, then ran a 14 hour memtest86 test and passed. So far so good! Gskill support has been awesome and have been helping me via email. And thank you for the reply and information here in the forum. I guess Ill know in the next month of heavy usage if I am stable at the new clock settings.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
        X