Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woomack
    replied
    IMC usually gives up at 4600-4800 on ambient temps or generates errors which are causing performance drop (even though it passes most popular memory tests). Another thing is that motherboards set much more relaxed sub-timings at higher memory clock. Sometimes it's not really possible to pass if memory has to be stable (like out of competitive benchmarking). In real it's better to run memory at 4500-4600 and tighter timings than try anything higher. At least when I was comparing settings then most benchmarks or games were acting better at 4000-4133 CL16 CR1 or 4500 CL17 CR2 than anything higher. I was able to stabilize memory at 4800 but everything above that required much better CPU cooling and high SA voltage, much above what you could call safe.

Leave a comment:

• GSKILL TECH
    replied
    You just want the CPU to be as cool as possible to avoid any potential harm. But if you're asking if a better CPU cooler can improve DRAM Frequency and stability, not exactly, it is not a direct connection.

Internal Memory Controller is within the CPU, so as CPU Frequency and DRAM Frequency increases, it will be more load and heat until it's limits. Again, this is where you want to keep temps as low as possible and see how much max load it can support which becomes your max OC.

Use a temp monitor so it can record max temps in case it spikes during gaming.

You're spot on about higher lows, and that's the whole point. It doesn't matter if a system spikes up to really high performance for a second.. it matters more that it never drops too low and consistently stays at a good average for high performance gaming.

Correct, you can have XMP Profile enabled and simply manually lower DRAM Frequency. However, for further testing, DRAM Timings would need to be manually lowered.

Let us know how it goes!

Leave a comment:

• wildarmsfx
    replied
    Im losing my CPU for 10 days to silicone lottery to be delidded. But I cant wait to benchmark different games when it comes back. 4800 mhz is really fast and a huge leap in speed. So the benefits arent really known yet.

Correct me if im wrong, but I should be able to benchmark then entire spectrum of ram speeds with my 4600mhz cl18 set. I can just manual enter lower xmp profiles and test off them, Not every timing will be dead on the inportant ones are listed on sale pages.

Leave a comment:

• wildarmsfx
    replied
    Also what benefit do you think ram speed has on gaming? Some videos show impresive fps gains in PUBG.

My most noticeable difference is much higher lows. Especially in games that use real time loading. Like RE7 has multiple loading zones thru-out each level. They have a mini-game that has the player speedrun thru-out different levels. With default ram profile there are noticeable drops going thru these different loading zones. With 4600 the real time loading is much smoother, sometime un-noticeable. Which makes for alot smoother game play, especially while speed running.

Leave a comment:

• wildarmsfx
    replied
    Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
    Great to hear. Would love to see some photos and screenshots of the progress.
    Do you think cooling would effect ram speed stabilty under cpu high loads? Im going from air to a custom water cooling loop. The cpu is also going to delidded at a company called Silicone Lottery. Is the memory controller inside the die and does it get hot with the cpu?

I ask because when I push 4900 I get instability under high usage. But im not sure if its due to the high usage or the high temps. It will pass prime 95 mixed test at temps around 60 on the die. But get unstable during Hunt Showdown (A game that uses 90% of cpu) but the temps are higher at 75.

Leave a comment:

• GSKILL TECH
    replied
    Great to hear. Would love to see some photos and screenshots of the progress.

Leave a comment:

• wildarmsfx
    started a topic z390 Dark is KING!!!

z390 Dark is KING!!!

4600mhz CL18 XMP profile loads with 0 adjustments and completely stable. Went up to 4700 mhz CL17 before needing bios adjustments. Praying for 5000 mhz CL16, more reasonable expectations are 4800 cl17. I will let everyone know my end stable results. Just wanting to let everyone know how good the z390 dark is for ram.

No silicone lottery winner either. Couldnt get above 3800 mhz on Gigabyte Aurous Extreme with same 9900k. Same cpu, same ram, different mobo. Z390 Dark is King for performance.
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4600 (PC4 36800) Desktop Memory Model F4-4600C18D-16GTRG

Working...
X