Need informations about ram upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need informations about ram upgrade

Hi guy's, i am a loyal Gskill customer for the past 15 years and last year i build a new PC with the following specs : CPU: Ryzen 5600x, motherboard: MSI B550 A pro, Ram: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz PC4-28800 CL18 RGB Dual Channel Kit (2X 16GB).

So now since I am a game developer 32 GB is not enough for my daily work in UE5 and I need to upgrade to 64 GB so my question is can I order the same 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo and expect it to work at 3600 like my 2 sticks presently?

I ask the question after a full day reading and many mention 4 sticks of dual channel ram will lead to instability or even not booting at all or it will need to be lowered to run a t 3200 instead of 3600.

It would cost me less to order the same kit than to buy another 64 GB kit (2x32) so that why i need to know if it will work.

Thank for any help i can get to clarify this issue

Regards Peter

Technically no, each kit is matched and tested to work with the modules it came with. Adding a separate kit can change compatibility and results. You can try, sometimes they can work fine, other times not as much, that is why your reading contained many different outcomes. Only one memory kit should be used in each system, otherwise it is up to the user to test and see what multiple can do together since it was not done so from factory.

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Technically no, each kit is matched and tested to work with the modules it came with. Adding a separate kit can change compatibility and results. You can try, sometimes they can work fine, other times not as much, that is why your reading contained many different outcomes. Only one memory kit should be used in each system, otherwise it is up to the user to test and see what multiple can do together since it was not done so from factory.
      Thank for replying, it's the same kit at same latency speed but i bought the first one in 2022 so could there be difference by buying the same kit on a later date since the manufacturing is probably different? Also there seem to be a consensus over the fact that 4 sticks is a bad idea because of the poor memory controller on the 5600x but you must have seen many case of 4 sticks on this system setup and are the results mostly positive or did they face many issues and what is the worst case scenario by doing so?

Regards Peter

Comment

I also notice that the trident z neo kit is not in the list of MSI QVL, don't know if this matter or not.

Comment

Worst case scenario the two kits can not be used together even at standard settings. That is very rare, though. A lot more common are issues with using the XMP when mixing kits. Sometimes it only takes a slight reduction in frequency or smaller manual adjustments to get it to work. The reasons range from general platform or motherboard limitations to mismatched sticks* or ICs**. I you want to avoid those, swap your current memory for a single 64GB kit one (either 4x16GB or 2x32GB). The G.SKILL RAM Configurator contains all the viable options.

*often results in the XMP not being available at all, because of differences in SPD programming
          **can be difficult for the motherboard to train, if they require deviating advanced settings (tertiary timings, resistances)

Edit: Due to practical implications the motherboard manufacturers only have small set of SKUs available from each manufacturer for qualification testing. So if a certain SKU is missing from the motherboard QVL, despite being compatible by the G.SKILL QVL, if often just means that the SKU was not available to them.
          Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
            Worst case scenario the two kits can not be used together even at standard settings. That is very rare, though. A lot more common are issues with using the XMP when mixing kits. Sometimes it only takes a slight reduction in frequency or smaller manual adjustments to get it to work. The reasons range from general platform or motherboard limitations to mismatched sticks* or ICs**. I you want to avoid those, swap your current memory for a single 64GB kit one (either 4x16GB or 2x32GB). The G.SKILL RAM Configurator contains all the viable options.

*often results in the XMP not being available at all, because of differences in SPD programming
            **can be difficult for the motherboard to train, if they require deviating advanced settings (tertiary timings, resistances)

Edit: Due to practical implications the motherboard manufacturers only have small set of SKUs available from each manufacturer for qualification testing. So if a certain SKU is missing from the motherboard QVL, despite being compatible by the G.SKILL QVL, if often just means that the SKU was not available to them.
            Thank for the reply, i think i will sell my current 32 GB 2X16 to get a 64GB 2X32 like you mention since i want to avoid fiddling with the 4 sticks eventual issues. What i mean by crashing in UE5 is that UE5 crash to desktop when i try to load 64 square kilometres of terrain if i try to load 40 square kilometres it work but not with 64, so i went and read that world partition is probably out of memory on UE forum. I also have to upgrade my video card that have only 6GB of Vram so i will probably get the 3060 12 GB to replace my 2060.

Comment

OK i finally order a Ripjaws V 64 GB 2x32 since it was on sale on Newegg.ca for 184$ and the trident z neo was 170$ with all the risk related to 4 sticks so this choice was obvious and i will try to sell my current 32 GB kit.
              Thank for your help and comments guy's

Comment

Working...
              X