Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trident Z RGB Lighting Control Software for Linux OS

Hi,

after an exhaustive research I didn't find anything about the possibility the Trident Z RGB lighting control to be available in OS like linux. I'm wondering not to say frustrated why the G.Skill tech team is taking for granted the linux community of users. Why is this so difficult to be implemented? Is there a technical reason, is the available SDK not capable of managing the device in linux based systems, what is the actual problem?

Many linux users spent money on buying those expensive RAM kits but you are still ignoring them. This is like your are saying "we don't care if the linux users get the RGB feature or not". It is so annoying to have those dimms only in the default rainbow mode.

Software in windows: https://www.gskill.com/download/1502...B,-Royal,-Neo)

So I'm kindly asking you, can you spent some effort in order to provide at least the basic functionality for linux, at least the option to set static colors? Otherwise please consider to expose a well documented SDK to the community in order to implement at least the basic features in an open source way.

Best regards
    Last edited by akis99; 12-12-2019, 02:29 AM.

A description of the relevant i2c addresses/registers and values responsible for the led colours would probably be sufficient.
    Creating such a basic description should not cost more than an hour or two if one has access to that information.

Then someone else (not paid by gskill) will write the actual software - and maintain it.

If someone were to send me a nice ddr4 kit with leds and a short technical description of the i2c registers, I would create and publish the source code of at least a simple commandline tool to change the colors.

Last edited by needmem; 12-12-2019, 06:16 AM.

Comment

That's the spirit of the linux open community and in fact it shouldn't be anything more than a couple of days including the testing to implement at least a command line tool with the basic functionalities. I'm wondering why the G.skill tech team does not make at least a comment about which are the limitations or the difficulties, if any, preventing them to implement such a linux version of this software. Is it something related to the linux kernel not being capable of handling the RAM devices? It would be nice to know what is the explanation of this.

Comment

I worked on reverse engineering the i2c registers for the G.Skill Trident Z RGB when it first came out. It's the same i2c controller that Asus used on their first and second generation Aura motherboards. I worked up a project to control Aura last year under the name OpenAuraSDK and then renamed it to focus on supporting more than just Aura devices a month or two ago. The new project is called OpenRGB. It can be found here:

https://gitlab.org/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

Comment

I have the same issue in here , the RGB light give me the default light effect ( rainbow wave effect) it's makeing me sick. I can't turn it off from the bios and I can't change it .
          i found OpenRGB after some ppl recommended it on Reddit.
          its work perfectly till I restart the pc. I have to go through all the installation and the settings again. I asked for help in the Discord Channel for OpenRGB. The ppl there tried to help me, but I couldn't understand the diagnosis instructions they provide.
          I'm really sorry because I bought this ram.
          I can't understand why they can't provide an simple tool to control it in linux, Or any option to deactivate it.

Comment

I understand your frustration with the lack of support for the Trident Z RGB lighting control in Linux-based systems. It's possible that the G.Skill tech team has not prioritized developing this feature due to the smaller user base of Linux users. However, I cannot speculate on the technical reasons behind the absence of support without more information. By the way, is anyone of you using centos? I need to know if there is a way to find extended support for centos 7.

Comment

I completely understand how frustrating it can be when your hardware doesn't work as expected, especially when it comes to something as important as lighting control for your Trident Z RGB. It's unfortunate that G.Skill has not prioritized developing this feature for Linux-based systems, but it's possible that they may not see a large enough user base to justify the development time and resources needed. As for your question about Centos, have you heard of the Centos 7 EOL platform? They provide extended support for Centos 7, which may be helpful for your needs.
              Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-02-2023, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230602_022831.jpg Views:	0 Size:	712.9 KB ID:	169159
                Originally posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
                I worked on reverse engineering the i2c registers for the G.Skill Trident Z RGB when it first came out. It's the same i2c controller that Asus used on their first and second generation Aura motherboards. I worked up a project to control Aura last year under the name OpenAuraSDK and then renamed it to focus on supporting more than just Aura devices a month or two ago. The new project is called OpenRGB. It can be found here:

https://gitlab.org/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB
                hello,

I confirm this software works with Trident Z DDR5 RGB both in Linux and Windows. It detects the RAM modules every time (contrary to official G.Skill software version 1.00.35 on my system, which detects the modules sometimes)

Code:
                root@mm:/# inxi -xxxm
                Memory:
                System RAM: available: 31.06 GiB used: 4.08 GiB (13.1%)
                Array-1: capacity: 128 GiB slots: 2 EC: None max-module-size: 64 GiB
                note: est.
                Device-1: DIMM 0 type: DDR5 detail: synchronous unbuffered (unregistered)
                size: 16 GiB speed: spec: 4800 MT/s actual: 5800 MT/s volts: 1.1
                width (bits): data: 64 total: 64 manufacturer: N/A
                part-no: F5-5600J3636C16G serial: N/A
                Device-2: DIMM 0 type: DDR5 detail: synchronous unbuffered (unregistered)
                size: 16 GiB speed: spec: 4800 MT/s actual: 5800 MT/s volts: 1.1
                width (bits): data: 64 total: 64 manufacturer: N/A
                part-no: F5-5600J3636C16G serial: N/A
                Last edited by m440; 06-01-2023, 11:54 PM.

Comment

I worked on reverse engineering the i2c registers for the G.Skill Trident Z RGB when it first came out.
                  myindigocard
                  jjsploit download

Comment

Working...
                  X