Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ram for Crosshair V Formula-Z and AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7GHz

I have: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950
    which states DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066
    In process of ordering: AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Desktop Processor - Black Edition FD9590FHHKWOF

on AMD memory chart for FX processor located on their website; if the available motherboard slots is 4 then it doesn't matter if 2 or 4 of the slots are populated, the highest memory speed supported is 1600

However elsewhere I am reading: Integrated DRAM Controller with AMD Memory Optimizer Technology •Supports up to DDR3-1866

Am I correct in thinking that: G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C8Q-32GTX

would be a good choice if I wanted to plug and go for now and do a little overclocking later on?

Is their any way to use the 2400(o.c) with this processor and would I really see that much performance gain. Planning on using system for gaming and 3-D plotting/printing

Thanks

That Trident X kit is a perfect fit.

DDR3-2400 will require quite a bit of tweaking, but you can give it a shot.

Especially with full slots, it may be best to stick with the DDR3-1866 memory kit.

Comment

similar question

I have an asrock 990fx extreme 4 with an 8370, and was wanting to upgrade my ram, and had some questions. I would like to go with -G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9Q-32GZH- I am aware of my memory controller and that it would take some tweaking to get there, cool with it and capable, but looking at newegg, I see 2133 kits quite a bit cheaper, even the comparable kit to the one I just listed is something like $40 cheaper........so.......

how capable would one of those 2133 kits be at underclocking down to those timings @ 1866, thus giving me some headroom if I decide to try to use it and save me some cash as well, and would you be able to point one out?

Comment

No problem, go with the higher frequency

Comment

little more help deciding

ok, so to answer your question, although im not sure if its just your current signature...., I have my AS in electronics and electrical engineering, so I am a tinkerer by nature, thus making me an overclocrer by default, thus an advantage for me of amd platforms, more tinker time!!!

But alas, admittedly I am new to the world of overclocking ram, and am taking baby steps at the moment so please excuse my irrelevant questions as I don't know they are; and permission is given to tell me to shut up and quit overthinking this and just do it, so....

generally speaking with timings......

so the kit I have mentioned above, the F3-1866C9Q-32GZH, I have found to be like the only 32GB 1866 kit consistently rated for 990FX platforms, and im suspecting its due to its incredibly low timings for a 1866 kit of 9-9-9-24. heck, my current ram, (please don't run me off the forums on rail for this ) corsair vengeance, cough cough, 1600 2x(2x4GB), has the same timings, so im confident about buying that ram and with little tweaking getting the desired speeds for that capacity on a 990FX chipset. so are timings that flexible when going down in frequency that obtaining similar timings would not be that hard? any of the ram oc guides I read talk about taking baby steps in timing steps when overclocking, I understand underclocking is a totally different beast, but your short answer is throwing me off. I am aware that not all ram sets are created equal. Case in point; as I stated above, I have 2 identical sets of 2x4GB and they don't play nice sometimes when I try overclocking them. So is it really the short answer? Please excuse my skittishness but im looking at this as a final purchase for my pc, so getting it right is a good thing.

Comment

Yea, especially to get good overclocking results, it is imperative to have matching RAM

Comment

Working...
            X