• Show
Clear All

• What RAM modules should I take ?

Hi,

my upcoming computer is going to have the following hardware:

CPU _ Intel i5 2500K
    Mainboard _ Intel DH67CF
    RAM _ G.Skill xxxxxxxx

The system should be power sufficient, reliable and silent.
    If I could, I would underclock & undervolt, but afaik the mainboard does not allow that.

The mainboard has two banks which can take up to 16 GB of RAM modules.
    My question: can you recommend compatible G.Skill RAM modules for that system, please ?

The chipset is called H67, suitable for DDR3 1333/1066-MHz RAM.

Would it work if I took one single 8GB module only instead of 2x4 GB, or do both banks have to be filled ?

Otherwise I would go for either 2x4 or 2x8 GB.

As far as I can see, these following modules seem to be compatible:

1. F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (4GB2x)
    2. F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (4GBx2)
    3. F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL (4GBx1)
    4. F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT (4GBx2)

My favourite design:

F3-10666CL7D-8GBECO

... but they are designed for the Intel P55 chipset only. Are there similar looking modules for the H67 chipset existing ? I don't mind taking RAMs with higher specs than the motherboard is capable to use. They are all downwards compatible anyway, right ?

The ones on the picture have 1.35 instead 1.5 V .. would that make any difference in power consumption and/or heat generation ?

Thank you

I'd go for the F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (4GB2x) (1st link)
    Any of the ones u linked are the same speed, so i'd go for this ones as they've got the
    ripjaws X heat spreader.

About the eco ones, yeh they look elegant but at the end they'll be inside and u won't see them much unless u got transparent side case and u spend all day looking at em.
    And also even thou they can look more elegant than the ripjaws, i think ripjaws heat spreader is way more efficient.
    OH regarding speed, eco ones are CL7 and they're faster than those CL9 RipJaws. They might work on ur board and lower voltage OCs best. But hey u won't save money cos their power consumption is lower ahah.
    Hope that helps
    Greetz
    Last edited by KBJAG; 08-07-2011, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Any of the sets will work, the Ripjawx X line is designed specifically around the P67/H67/Z68 chipsets so can be slightly better.

If looking for the besst performance, as mentioned above with the lower CL, might want to look at the RipjawsX, F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH, which is 1333/CL7..........also good on the platform is the 1333/CL7 Snipers F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH....both are 1.5 sets so they keep w/ Intels voltage recommendations

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by KBJAG View Post
        I'd go for the F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (4GB2x) (1st link)
        Yeah, these one are the Overclockers Community Choice of 2011.
        I just googled the price ... 42.24 Euro only, wow !

About the eco ones, yeh they look elegant but ...
        Maybe you won't belive it ... I have my PC hardware in operation without PC case here on my desk next to me, lol.

Thanks for you reply
        Last edited by Cov; 08-07-2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Any of the sets will work, the Ripjawx X line is designed specifically around the P67/H67/Z68 chipsets so can be slightly better.

If looking for the besst performance, ...
          Hm, they don't seem to be compatible with the H67 chipset:

F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH
          F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

Do you think they might work together with that mainboard anyway, or maybe not.

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem, if they are can always drop the CL to 8.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

I didn't know that we can actually use any modules. Always thought that each module was only compatible for certain chipsets, hence why they are listed in the specifications.
              But to be honest, .. as a novice I find it all very confusing. It's almost rocket science to choose the right modules as there are sooo many, and I can never really distinguish them apart. I just cannot imagine that there are considerable differences in performance among them.

By the way, would you know what production process GSkill modules are made in ?
              Like 60, 40 or 30 nm ? I ask because I read somewhere that some of Samsung's new RAM modules are made in 30 nm process.

Thank you

Comment

Hi, I think I will choose these modules:

F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

Comment

Or what about these ...

F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO

or these ...

F3-10666CL7D-8GBECO

The modules from the previous posting cost about 40.- Euro incl delivery.
                  The other modules shown in this posting are about 80.- Euro for each pair.

Specifications state P55 chipset, but hopefully they might work with H67 as well.

Hm, ..

Comment

Basically any of those should be fine.....when you look at a QVL from a mobo maker or a DRAM manufacturer, they both run into the same problem - how they (mobo makers) can test every single stick or set of sticks available (there are quite literally hundreds that 'might' work, for the DRAM makers, may not as many but still a huge number of mobos out there. What normally happens is testing sort of catch as catch can, i.e. they test the sticks or mobos they have available as time permits and try to get either sticks or mobos from other manufacturers as they can - then they run into time constraints, i.e. having techs do this testing while also providing email, phone and forum support (all very time consuming)....Believe I just saw a QVL yesterday from Gigabyte that actually explained their QVL is just a sample of DRAM that will work and that there is just to much out there to test all DRAM

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X