ASUS "H67" issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS "H67" issues

Yesterday I prepared a description of my computer woes that I'll try to shorten below.

I assembled this new system in March 2011:

ASUS P8H67-M EVO - B3 Revision;
    Intel Core i5 - 2500 K @ 3.3 GHz;
    G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBECO x 2-ea. = 16-GB
    @ 1333-MHz / 1.5-V / 9-9-9-24-2
    System = Windows-7 Professional x64 w/ Service Pack-1
    BIOS = AMI v.1502 * updated 04-29-2011
    Chipset = 9.2.0.1015 * updated 04-29-2011
    HD-3000 = 15.21.13.64.2342 * graphic accelerator updated 05-04-2011

I've spent 6 weeks trying to get the system to run stable without success. I'm not trying to overclock it; I'm just trying to run integrated graphics & 16-GB of memory without crashing the system.

These memory modules are rated to run with 8-8-8-24-2 timings @ 1600 MHz and 1.35-volts. Intel specifies the use of 1066 or 1333-MHz RAM madules. Documentation states that 1600-MHz modules will automatically default to a downgraded 1333-MHz rate.

That's what happens with these memory modules in this system board. Initial system boot was successful with the SPD settings automatically defaulted to: 9-9-9-24-2 @ 1333 MHz & 1.5-volts.

After installing the operating system and my applications, the system appeared to run stable for 4-hours. Then, it locked up; no keyboard / mouse input, & the video output had scrambled the screen display. System required hard system re-boot to clear the error.

I updated the BIOS, Chipset & Graphic Accelerator drivers as noted above. Instead of freezing up, it became unstable after approx. 24-hours of continuous operation. At any point in time after that, the system could, and did, abruptly close all running applications and shut the operating system down; then, power the hardware down and automatically re-boot. It didn't matter if the system was sitting idle, running applications, or surfing the web.

I altered some BIOS parameters over the weekend. The system is back to freezing up, instead of shutting down & rebooting.

Prime 95 and Memtest-86 both run through complete cycles without reporting any errors. Intel IPDT & HD-3000 graphics test programs report no errors, as well. CPU & motherboard temperatures are reported between 30-50 degrees celsius.

Adjusting memory settings usually results in a failure to boot. The CPU cooler has to be removed before you can unplug and swap the RAM modules around in this system, so I haven't tried that. However, I'd done that type of swapping around with these modules in a different system last fall and they all worked fine as single sticks and in any combination of pairs selected from either of the two kits.

I'm at a loss. Would like to hear anything about Customers who report running 4-sticks of F3-12800CL8 in an ASUS H-67 board. I'd sure appreciate being pointed to a link that describes the settings at which this was achieved.

Thanks.

If they all work fine in another system, it may be a mobo or CPU issue.......or possibly PSU.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The 4 modules worked individually and as pairs in the other motherboard up to a total of 8-GB of system RAM.

When the 4 modules were combined to make 16-GB, the system always failed to boot. Again, that is apparently a design flaw in the older H57 chipsets. Even though the motherboards are rated to run 32-GB of system RAM, IF SUCH MODULES WERE AVAILABLE. One day I finally backed someone at ASUS into a corner and got them to admit that ASUS was unaware of anyone ever having gotten that model of motherboard to run supporting 16-GB of system RAM.

This present board runs all four sticks of 4-GB modules without a problem, up to around 24-hours. That's an improvement. But when it approaches that seeming limit it's anyone's bet when it's going to freeze or re-boot, losing any changes that were made since that last file save.

Comment

it may be that the two kits are not fully compatible with each other. You should purchase/exchange for a 16GB kit. That way they are guaranteed to work together rather than not really sure.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X