F3-17000CL9D-4GBXL unstable @XMP on Asrock P67 Extreme6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL9D-4GBXL unstable @XMP on Asrock P67 Extreme6

Using one package of F3-17000CL9D-4GBXL (2x2gb sticks) with the following system:

Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme6 (latest BIOS)
    CPU: Intel Core-i5 2500K
    PSU: XFX Black Edition 750W

Default DDR3-1600 @ "Auto" WORKS FINE: 100% stable (Memtest perfect, Prime 95 (blend) perfect).

- UEFI/BIOS Defaults loaded for everything (nothing overclocked)
    - I set "Load XMP Setting" to "Profile 1" (I leave everything at "Auto")
    - This correctly loads the advertised 9-11-9-28 timings
    - However, this also sets the RAM to CR=1N (is this OK?)
    - When I check DRAM Voltage, the XMP profile sets it to 1.635v; this is NOT the advertised "1.60v".

When I run HCI Memtest, it eventually detects errors.
    Prime95 (Blend) also eventually detects errors.

- Setting the DRAM Voltage to 1.605v makes no difference.
    - Setting Command Rate to 2N makes no difference.

So what's going on here? The RAM is guaranteed to run stable @ DDR3-2133 9-11-9-28 1.60v yet it does NOT. Not only that, but my motherboard selects DRAM Voltage 1.635v when XMP is loaded (this is NOT spec). Manually setting the RAM to specified timings and voltage does NOT help.

What can I do to make this stable?
    Last edited by obsidianghost; 04-21-2011, 08:09 AM.

CR to 2N, DRAM voltage OK. May have to raise the QPI/VTT up by adding voltage gradually, maybe adding + .02 or so at a time. Also want to ensure you have the latest BIOS.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I do have the latest BIOS.
      CR to 2N makes no difference, as I mentioned in original post.

Are you sure about voltage? The memory is advertised as guaranteed @ "1.60v" so why does my motherboard automatically select 1.635v when XMP is loaded?

Either way, bottom line is that the memory fails HCI Memtest and Prime95 (blend) when XMP Profile is loaded.

I will try increasing VTT...

Comment

Test one module at a time with XMP loaded to see if one module may be bad. As far as the higher DRAM Voltage, that is just your motherboard. The set voltage may not be the actual voltage, so this motherboard may be showing a higher voltage than it is actually supporting to avoid accidental damage.
        You don't need to worry about that, but you should test to see if one module is defective causing problems.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Test one module at a time with XMP loaded to see if one module may be bad.
          I tried this, it made no difference. One stick, both sticks, different slots, etc.
          XMP not stable, normal 1600mhz is 100% perfect.

Is there some other voltage that I need to increase like PLL? Also, I have been told that VTT and VCCSA shouldn't be high?...

Anyway, my understanding is that XMP is guaranteed...what about specific timings that I can enter manually?

Comment

VTT and VCCSA don't need to be high.

For manual settings, input the frequency, timings, and voltage.

You can even try a lower frequency to see if that works.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
              VTT and VCCSA don't need to be high.

For manual settings, input the frequency, timings, and voltage.

You can even try a lower frequency to see if that works.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Which timings and voltage should I input? 9-11-9-28 for the four main but what about the rest? Also, would 1.605v be ok or should I set it to 1.635v like the motherboard had it?

Comment

The rest should be OK on Auto, voltage should be OK also, can try the lower, though have seen where the ASRock mobos tend to set a bit higher, not sure if it's how they read or if they just show a hair higher

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  The rest should be OK on Auto, voltage should be OK also, can try the lower, though have seen where the ASRock mobos tend to set a bit higher, not sure if it's how they read or if they just show a hair higher
                  Thank you for the feedback, but the point was that the RAM is not stable at those settings to begin with...
                  Whether using the XMP profile or simply individually setting the first four timings with the rest on auto, it does not pass Prime95 blend or HCI Memtest @ 2133; the RAM is advertised for this speed and my motherboard is listed as compatible.

When the RAM is set to 1600 or 1866, it works 100% fine; there are no benchmark failures whatsoever. It simply will not stay error-free @ 2133. I'm just wondering if there are some specific timings I can adjust to get to 2133 or maybe some other voltages?...

Comment

My guess is you'll have to play w/ the voltage. Would say contact ASRock could try at

pablomedina@asrockamerica.com or ericlin@asrockamerica.com

but wouldn't count on much, am having problems w/ one of their mobos right now and they have been ignoring me for a week....appears their boards don't really live up to their advertising. When problems come up the tend to ignore them. I'm sending the board back and going to try a different brand.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by obsidianghost View Post
                      Thank you for the feedback, but the point was that the RAM is not stable at those settings to begin with...
                      Whether using the XMP profile or simply individually setting the first four timings with the rest on auto, it does not pass Prime95 blend or HCI Memtest @ 2133; the RAM is advertised for this speed and my motherboard is listed as compatible.

When the RAM is set to 1600 or 1866, it works 100% fine; there are no benchmark failures whatsoever. It simply will not stay error-free @ 2133. I'm just wondering if there are some specific timings I can adjust to get to 2133 or maybe some other voltages?...
                      @OP,

Don't get too upset will G-Skill Tech. I have two of these kits one purchased at Ebuyer and one purchased from overclockers. Both kits function perfectly well together at 2133mhz with XMP set.

The differences is of course I have mine plugged into an Asus P8P67 PRO with a i5 2500K running at 4.5Ghz.

G-Skill can no longer guarantee your memory will run at these speed in your board any more than they can guarantee they will work plugged into a cheese flan.

I would suggest your board is not quite so forgiving at these speeds as mine would appear to be and I would be posting on the Asrock forum and asking why guaranteed memory will not run at these speed in my board?

Cheers.

Comment

My guess would be the mobo, their BIOSs tend to have problems w/ voltages and settings.....and as mentioned earlier, their tech support (on the rare occasion they answer) isn't real knowledgeable about their products, let alone DRAM and CPU setup.

Tman

Comment

Cheese flan?? Did not know such existed.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by cheesyboofs View Post
                            @OP,

Don't get too upset will G-Skill Tech. I have two of these kits one purchased at Ebuyer and one purchased from overclockers. Both kits function perfectly well together at 2133mhz with XMP set.

The differences is of course I have mine plugged into an Asus P8P67 PRO with a i5 2500K running at 4.5Ghz.

G-Skill can no longer guarantee your memory will run at these speed in your board any more than they can guarantee they will work plugged into a cheese flan.

I would suggest your board is not quite so forgiving at these speeds as mine would appear to be and I would be posting on the Asrock forum and asking why guaranteed memory will not run at these speed in my board?

Cheers.
                            Actually, I thought this memory *was* guaranteed to run at those speeds in my board??
                            The ASrock Extreme6 is listed as one of the motherboards supported for this model, just like your P8P67 Pro....

Comment

One kit, not two kits together in the same system.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X