Multiple BSODs - Bad stick (RAM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple BSODs - Bad stick (RAM)

First off, I would like to say thanks to G.Skill for making wonderful RAM (And I am not being sarcastic). I have heard many great things about them before, and dediced to switch from Crucial to G.Skill. I am new to the forums here, so please keep that in mind if I do/say something stupid. Although, I have read the "Read First before posting" threads so I wouldn't feel like an idiot later on.

So down to my problem(s)....

About a month or so ago I started building my first gaming PC by myself. (I had my older brother supervise me in case I did anything "Noobish". He has been building PCs for years) For the first week, everything ran smoothly. Then suddenly, I started to get lots of random BSODs. I thought perhaps my Registry was corrupt, so I got rid of Vista 32bit and made a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit. Even then, I started having problems. So I figured it was either a Hardware problem, or a Driver issue. I sent a bunch of my Minidump files to my uncle, and he said they were mostly random but maybe had something to do with my RAM. I was able to Google one of the error codes, and it pointed me towards a possible RAM/Driver issue. I ran Memtest, and didn't have any errors (I even flashed my BIOS. Still had the same problems). So I thought maybe one of my drivers was incorrectly sucking up all my RAM for it's process. I tried uninstalling multiple drivers and using different ones for certain hardware (Yes, it has been a nightmare ). I still had the same BSODs. So It then thought it could be something not set properly in my BIOS. I spent days looking at each option and Googling what it should be set to. Everything seemed to be in check, so I didn't bother changing anything.

I had done pretty much everything in the book and couldn't find anything, so I figured one of my ideas/tests must have been done improperly. I found out that that test was Memtest. I didn't know you should only test one stick at a time. And I didn't know you should let it do 7-8 passes. When I first ran it, I ran both stick at once and only did one pass. So with knowing this new information, I ran Memtest again with only one stick at a time (Both were tried in DIMM #1) and let it do 8 passes. The first stick ran flawlessly. After 4 hours of testing, I was sure this stick was fine. So I pulled that stick out, and put the other one in. Within 5 minutes of testing, I had over 70,000 errors! I didn't even finish the first pass! I ran this test over and over again. I keep getting thousands of errors! So I put my good stick back in by itself, and I haven't had a BSOD since.

The only BSOD I sometimes get is when I get to my Windows Desktop. Programs start to crash, then I get a BSOD that says "MEMORY_MANAGMENT" blah blah blah... But on the second boot, I don't have any problems. I think this has to do with my not having both sticks in, but just one for right now. (I already set the Virtual Memory/Page file to Auto for WIndows to adjust by itself).

So with both sticks in, I get all sort of BSODs. With just the one good one, I only get one type of BSOD. But I think it's from me not having both sticks in.

Model of the motherboard: MSI MS-7577 790FX-GD90 AMD Motherboard
    Model of the memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231275
    Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955

It's already been past 30 days since I bought it from Newegg. (I have been troubleshooting for awhile... ). I didn't know if I could get the bad stick replaced. I'd perfer I keep the good stick so I can still use my $1,000+ Gaming PC (Even though I'd only be running 2GB and some occasional BSOD "MEMORY_MANAGMENT"). Will this cost me money to ship to, and back, from G.Skill? When I bought it, it said I had a Lifetime Warranty. I haven't broken, damaged, modified the RAM in anyway (I didn't take off the heatsinks either). The sticker(s) and serial numbers are there and everything. The only thing I ever did to the RAM was opening from the package, and put directly into my DIMM slots. I had no fault in the defective RAM stick.

What should I do? Is there a way for my to fix this, or should I send just the bad stick in for a new one?

So, can I get this replaced or anything? I've had to put-up with this for weeks. I would really like this fixed. Sorry, it's just that I am getting tired of waiting around to get this finished with.

Comment

Is this wierd of what?
      I also started getting BSODs on 29th Dec.
      My config:
      Mobo:MSI 790FX GD70
      RAM : 2x2Gb Ripjaws DDR3 10666
      CPU :AMD 550 BE
      PSU :Corsair HX620W

Ive also been trying to find out what the problem is...till now Ive been thinking its due to the OS (Windows 7 x86)
      Ill try to run memtest and see if it is due to a bad stick..

PS: I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool on one of the RAMs and it did not show any errors. However I still get BSODs when just this stick is installed...

Comment

Samwise, I was thinking the same thing when I first started having my problems. My first thought was the OS and the HDD. So I ran a bunch of CHKDSKs via Command Prompt and on boot-up to fix any corrupt files or bad sectors on my HDD. I fixed some minor stuff that I didn't even know about. But it didn't fix my BSODs.

I suggest running one stick at a time in DIMM #1. If nothing shows, then try running them both in DIMM #2. Maybe what you have if not a bad stick, but a bad DIMM slot. In which case would be a MoBo problem, and not a RAM problem. (Use Memtest86. I didn't bother with Windows software. They have enough trouble taking care of malicious software, let alone being any good at testing RAM)

To be sure with myself, I ran both sticks in one slot and only one RAM stick came up bad. I ran it several times, and I kept getting thousands of errors. I know for a fact that I have a bad stick. I just RMAed the other day, so hopefully I will get a working stick within a few weeks (Or however long it takes for it to be fixed/replaced).

After searching this specific type of RAM, I found that lots of other people are having problems with the same model. Perhaps these models were poorly designed/built resulting in all sort of bad reviews I have seen. I guess I should have double checked this model before I bought... No wonder it was half price on Newegg.com But even with all this hassle, I think it was still worth it's money.

Comment

Hi Nate,
          I got my system working yesterday. Finally formatted the drive containing the OS, and re-installed Windows 7.
          However I ran the Windows memory diagnostics just to be sure, and 1 stick came up faulty. the other one has no errors.
          But I am able to boot and load Windows with the faulty RAM, so Im not sure if WMD is giving a false alarm...btw i tested both sticks on DIMM #1..Should I change the slot and test again?

I dont know how to use memtest+...(noob )
          I created a bootable CD with memtest+, but when I restart using CD drive as first boot, it just simply goes on to load windows without doing anything(as far as I know).
          Could you tell me the procedure to start memtest?

Comment

Originally posted by samwise View Post
            I dont know how to use memtest+...(noob )
            I created a bootable CD with memtest+, but when I restart using CD drive as first boot, it just simply goes on to load windows without doing anything(as far as I know).
            Could you tell me the procedure to start memtest?
            Sorry, just thought I'd pop in and help. memtest+86 is easy to run if you burned it to the cd correctly, it runs on it's own basically. The thing is, you need to "burn" the .iso file to a cd, not copy (which is what Windows does I think, even though it says "burn" because I did it that way the first time and it didn't work also. So you can't use windows to make the cd) You have to use an image burner such as NERO or the free one that I used is http://www.imgburn.com/ So if you download memtest+86 as a bootable, then you need to unzip it so it shows as a .iso file, then burn that file to the cd. You will know when memtest loads, it basically looks like a DOS screen, all black with white letters.

Comment

Thanks Rayger,
              Thats exactly what I did....Windows
              It worked properly when I used Imgburn.Now Im running it to check for any RAM errors

Apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread, but we're all waiting for the Gskill mods to respond to our problems...

Comment

Make sure to enter memory settings correctly in BIOS. If you continue to have issues, try testing them individually to see if one stick may be bad. If so, simply send them in for new replacements.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Anyway, back to my problem(s). Thanks for hi-jacking! haha

Well, I got the faulty stick replaced. I ran Memtest on both of my sticks, and they come up clean. So with the new stick in there, it has fixed all of my BSODs except for one.

"MEMORY_ MANAGEMENT"

This only happens if my PC has been turned off for many hours (Like overnight while I am sleeping). I can turn on my PC when I wake-up, it will have the problem. So I turn it off, and turn it back on without any problems. I think it is known as a "Cold Boot" problem.

I have already checked to make sure they are securely in the DIMM slots, and there is no dust or anything in the way. I think my problem might be as simple as changing a few RAM setting in my BIOS. However, I have no idea what I am doing in there. Sure, I can do some more simple things like setting up my boot sequence, changing a BIOS password, etc. But when it comes to Overclocking a CPU, or in my case: "Changing the settings for my RAM", I am a complete noob

My specs:
                  Model of the motherboard: MSI MS-7577 790FX-GD90 AMD Motherboard
                  Model of the memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM 2048MB x2 CL8-8-8-24 1.5v
                  Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
                  Model of the PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650watt

I flashed my BIOS to the most recent update. I think it's 1.70 if I remember correctly. So if someone could give me detailed instructions on setting up my RAM, it would be MUCH appriciated!

Comment

Did you set your VDimm to 1.6V-1.65V? Did you OC your rig?
                    Last edited by Seaquest; 01-16-2010, 03:36 PM.

Comment

CMOS (BIOS) battery is fine. This is a brand new MoBo. I haven't lost any settings. As for the RAM settings, I assume everything is at default. I haven't changed anything yet...

And what is a VDimm? Voltage on my DIMM, maybe? How would I change it in the BIOS?

EDIT: No, I haven't overclocked anything.

Comment

May want a little extra voltage to the CPU/MC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

CPU/MC?

I know what the CPU stands for, but what does MC mean?

On another note. Do you think I could be getting these "Cold Boots" because of my FSB/DRAM ratio? It is set to "Auto" right now, but I can change it to a few other settings like:
                          -1:2
                          -1:4
                          (and there was a few other settings that had decimals like this "1:2.43")

I know my FSB is set to 200MHz (I can set it anywhere between 200-600). Although, I don't know what my DRAM frequency is.

Comment

Originally posted by NateFlax View Post
                            CMOS (BIOS) battery is fine. This is a brand new MoBo.
                            That doesn't mean anything. It's impossible for you to tell how old the battery is.

Originally posted by NateFlax View Post
                            And what is a VDimm? Voltage on my DIMM, maybe? How would I change it in the BIOS?
                            VDimm is the voltage on your RAM. You should find in in your Voltage settings in your BIOS. Change the red voltage.

Should be a list like this:
                            CPU Voltage ........................ [1.20000v]
                            CPU PLL Voltage .................... [1.86]
                            QPI/Dram Core Voltage .............. [1.375]
                            IOH Voltage ........................ [1.2]
                            IOH PCIE Voltage ................... [1.58]
                            ICH Voltage ........................ [1.2]
                            ICH PCIE Voltage ................... [1.6]
                            Dram Bus Voltage ................... [1.60 - 1.65]

Your MC (or IMC) means Memory controller ( or Integrated Memory Controller).
                            You can up that voltage a little too. In the list above it's the blue line.

Comment

Seaquest, when I said the battery is fine, I wasn't hinting I knew how old it was. It still keeps all my BIOS settings, and nothing has been reset. I don't know how much life the battery has left in it. It could be a few days, it could be 10 years! The fact of the matter is, it is doing it's job, and isn't dead. The battery is fine.

The settings you showed in your post aren't in my BIOS. Keep in mind, I has flashed mine to the newest BIOS release (1.7). So I might have a different interface with different settings and options. However, I found the place where I can change the voltage on the RAM (The red option you had highlighted). It was set to "Auto" which is 1.60volts. I tried lowering it to 1.5v because that's what the RAM said it was made for. I got a Cold Boot the next morning (Today), so I just set it to 1.65volts.

I have also been playing with the timings as well. 9-9-9-24 1.6v was the default setting in my BIOS. However, on my RAM it says the timings are suppose to be 8-8-8-24 1.5v. But in the XMP (In my BIOS), it says everything it suppose to be 7-7-7-24 1.5v (It might have been 7-7-7-21. Can't remember now)

I keep changing stuff around every morning hoping to find that correct setting. But I still get that same BSOD. Reading more reviews on this RAM, it seems there is so much trouble with this G.Skill Ripjaw that people are just selling theirs off on Ebay to get another brand.

So unless G.Skill can provide me with that information (Or someone else), I will be getting rid of G.Skill ASAP! G.Skill has been great with their prices and performance. And even fixing one of my bad sticks for free. But so far, they haven't done a thing to try and help me out here! I am getting slightly mad now. I have spent over $1,000 on a PC that can't even run properly all because I decided to give G.Skill a chance instead of going with my favorite Crucial. It's been 2 months since I have had these problems, and I haven't even had ONE message anywhere even hinting what their settings should be set to.

G.Skill, if you are reading this, please tell me how to run your own technology! Because the settings in your XMP and on the back of your box (And on the sticker in my RAM) are all different from each other, and don't even work!

Comment

Working...
                              X