Sabertooth X79 not compatible with F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabertooth X79 not compatible with F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL

I purchased a new Asus Sabertooth X79 with a set of F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL.

The motherboard shows a memory error. I have tried each stick one at a time in the primary slot according to Asus documentation, and none of them will post. What should be my next step here? I have used GSkill memory in the last 4 computers i have built and all have worked well until now.

I can RMA the memory, but it looks like this would not resolve the issue. Do you have any other recommendations?

This is a comment I saw on the NewEgg Website re: this memory -

Pros: Easy to install, looks good, quality product for the price.

Cons: Not compatible with the Sabertooth X79 motherboard.

Other Thoughts: This memory went in easy, looks great, and G.Skil is one of the best. Only problem is, it's not compatible with the Sabertooth X79 mobo. I only found that out after the mobo refused to post, and after discussing it with ASUS, they informed me that this RAM is not on their QVL (news to me!). Make sure your mobo can support this before buying.

Manufacturer Response:
    Dear Customer

Thank you for your G.Skill purchase and review. Glad to hear you like the memory and installation was simple. This memory kit is compatible with X79 chipset motherboards. It may not be on any QVL, but it is still compatible. This is a very high performance memory kit, so you should be very satisfied with the results. With 16GB installed, your computer should be capable of anything you put to it. For any further questions or issues, please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

Tech Support Email: ustech@gskillusa.com
    RMA Dept Email: rma@gskillusa.com
    G.Skill Forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/

Do you have any other sticks you can try? The set should work with the mobo. Might try the sticks in a different slot, even 1 at a time., enough to get into BIOS and make sure it has the latest BIOS, If you have or could borrow another stick or sticks that could tell if the problem is with the mobo, CPU or CPU install. What is anything does it do, are you getting power to anything? have both the main mobo power and the 4/8 pin power connector near the CPU firmly connected?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Lights on MoBo light up appropriately, there are warning LEDs on the MoBo that alert if memory / video card / CPU / Boot Device are problems, and there is an automatic recalibration of the memory that can be run from MoBo. Fans turn, LEDs on fans work, CPU fan works. CPU LED lights up briefly then goes out. I am pretty sure it is the memory.

I have another system with G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL - there are 3x4GB sticks there, but the compatibility from Asus says they are not compatible with the MoBo.

I can pull one out and try in this new system, and it should be backwards compatible... but... I hate to return the 4x4GB sticks i bought if there is anything else to try. I am leaning towards just doing that and getting a set of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL instead. THose are supposed to be compatible also.

Should I try an old stick of the F3-12800CL9T-12GBR? It shouldn't hurt anything.

Nothing shows on the video display at all, which is what ASUS says will happen if there is an error in POST. I have tried a different Video card also..

Comment

Yes, I'd try it, and check to be sure the mobo has the latest BIOS, as I mentioned the 1866 sticks should work fine, and it would be unusual to have gotten a package and all four sticks be bad, unless they got wiped by a powerful magnet or something like that

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

New case, new power supply, all connectors on power supply connected, including the 4+4, new video card, and it has both PCI-e power cords inserted. I have pulled out the peripherals and reinstalled them. I have built probably 30-40 computers since the mid-1990s, am pretty familiar with normal issues that can occur. Never had one fail to post at all before.

Comment

Try a stick from the other system, if it fails also, then I'd guess mobo or CPU, if it post up, you can get the BIOS updated and then try the new sticks. Can also try your new sticks in the other system.

Tman

Comment

I am having this same problem with the same ram and mobo. Any solution?

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? Did you enable XMP? if not working can you post your BIOS settings as to DRAM Base and advanced/secondary timings as well as system voltages from BIOS

Tman

Comment

My pc does not Post at all. I have been trying to update the bios using a flash drive but I don't think it is working. I read online somewhere that the defaul bios version doesn't read ram properly. I am not sure what xmp is so I probably did not enable it

Comment

I also tried using 2 separate sticks of ram from another pc and it didn't work. So I am thinking it is not a ram problem

I thought this was going to be my fix http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost...3&postcount=11

But I wasn't able to get it to work

Comment

May be they had some mobos go out with a bad ROM chip, so the BIOS isn't working/taking....If no joy with the other sticks, think I'd contact the manufacturer and look to start a RMA on the mobo

Tman

Comment

Reading online it seems that a lot of people were having problems with this mobo starting up. Many of them fixed the problem by updating their bios using a flash drive. I thought that would be my fix too but I have not been able to get the mobo to update...not sure what Im doing wrong

Comment

Did you put it on a empty flash drive (the BIOS) saberx79.rom and name it. Look to the back of the motherboard where there's a USB port with a white circle around it. Don't turn computer on, just have PSU hooked up and 24 pin power connector in along with 4/8 pin CPU power . Should be a green light on on the mobo. Press the BIOS button for about 3 seconds or so until it starts flashing and let it go. When the flashing light on the BIOS button turns off then you can try and power up the system - anyway that's the way I read it.

Tman

Comment

Yes, I did all that. No matter what I do the blue light on the bios button doesn't turn off. Sometimes it will blink 2 and stay lit, and sometimes it will blink for 15 seconds then stay lit.

Comment

Did you use the latest BIOS - if so try the 1104 BIOS, 1203 and later need a converter

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X