Fm-25s2s-60gbp2 disappearing from bios.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried a larger page file?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Same BIOS and Boot issues

I have the same issues with a FM-25S2S-120GBP2. sn: 1047B260214749

1. cold boot number 1 = no drive detected
      (press BIOS reset button)

2. restart number 1 = no drive detected
      (press BIOS reset button)

3. restart number 2 = drive detected and WIN 7 32 bit starts ok.

tried to flash drive to latest firmware 3.1 and "no drives detected" came up in software window??

very exspensive drive for all of the hassle we are all having.

GSKILL - we need some answers and quick.

Comment

You have no information what system you're running. Make sure that the SSD is first to boot in BIOS.
        Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
        CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555
        Main Drive - G.Skill 120GB Phoenix Pro
        Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 8GB 2x4
        Video - ATI HD 5850
        Power Supply - Corsair 550W Modular

Comment

system information

hi

i have read all other posts and it seems that this issue relates to desktop and laptop PC's

sys info:

p 4 quad duro 2.6
          ASUS P5E mb with lates BIOS
          WIn 7 32 bit

hope this helps

Comment

Nrand

would this issue with our new SANDFORCE drivers be due to the drives physical memory (in my case 128 gig not 120 gig as noted on the outside of the drive) not being addressed correctlyand be causing the Nrand interface errors (losing the first bit identifyer similar to the FAT on an old fat 16 hard drive)?

Comment

The Plot Thickens

Agreed. Current batch Sandforce controller chips and/or related issue is likely the culprit. Or maybe cheapskate electronic parts and rushed production to meet demand?

Upon further on-line browsing various SSD forums, it appears, of the Sandforce squad out of Asian factories, Corsair and G.Skill are most affected right now. There appears to be far less trouble with brands such as OWC (assembled in USA) and Patriot (Taiwan) for example.

An interesting aspect is that Intel, Kingston and Samsung SSDs seem totally unaffected. Neither use Sandforce or compression techniques for storage. Could this be a factor?

Comment

Originally posted by nightcap View Post
                Agreed. Current batch Sandforce controller chips and/or related issue is likely the culprit. Or maybe cheapskate electronic parts and rushed production to meet demand?

Upon further on-line browsing various SSD forums, it appears, of the Sandforce squad out of Asian factories, Corsair and G.Skill are most affected right now. There appears to be far less trouble with brands such as OWC (assembled in USA) and Patriot (Taiwan) for example.

An interesting aspect is that Intel, Kingston and Samsung SSDs seem totally unaffected. Neither use Sandforce or compression techniques for storage. Could this be a factor?
                Just curious, what are some of the forums you are looking at that are discussing the issue at hand? Thanks!

Comment

Disclaimer: no endorsement of SSD links or technical claims

FYI, suggest you browse these:
                  http://forum.corsair.com/v3/forumdisplay.php?f=188
                  http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...nd-HSDL-drives
                  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d,2783-16.html
                  http://forum.ssdworld.ch

Also I quote from an avowed Intel SSD fan:
                  "The way SandForce drives achieve 275mb/s read is by COMPRESSION. SandForce drives only have ~150mb/s performance when dealing with the vast majority of downloaded files that are already compressed (e.g. installers, zip files, video files, music files, word documents, archived databases, textures & sounds in games, installers, virus scanners, photos, DVDs. HD DVDs, Blu-Ray Discs, images, ...).
                  Superior Reliability: The current Intel SSDs are a second generation product, with all the firmware issues ironed out years ago, compared to SandForce SSDs that do not support S3 sleep (very bad situation for notebook users) and produce SMART error on some motherboards (!), not to mention the random restarts on the Corsair Force series (just have a look on their own forums), the lack of genuine TRIM support as confirmed by OCZ engineers on their own forum (they explain it is due to the proprietary way DuraClass works), and the constant issues with overprovisioning percentages and beta firmware being shipped on production drives (!!!). This is you DATA we are talking about - do you really want bleeding edge experimental and highly complex algorithms that compress and play with you data (ever wondered why HDDs are quite reliable nowadays? - because they've had over a decade of revisions where problems have been fixed and designs improved - Seagate is up to 12th generation. Intel M-series has been around for 3 years and is up to 2nd generation, Indlinx >1 year, but SandForce only 8 months - with a very small engineering team and a lack of time and resources for testing their chipsets, drives and firmware).
                  Durability In All Conditions: Intel SSDs have misalign write management (meaning performance is almost the same non 4K-aligned paritions, such as Windows XP and Mac OS X - try doing that on a SandForce!), builtin garbage collection (performance is maintained even in legacy OS like WIndows XP that have TRIM support) and fragmentation mitigation (which maintains class leading low latency access times across the life of the drive). Intel also comes with a free SSD Optimizer (part of Intel SSD Toolbox), which allows you to restore performance when using Windows XP. Mac OS X or older Linux kernels which do not have TRIM after very long periods (e.g. 18 months). With SandForce, if you lose performance, there is nothing you can do about it. Everybody knows the wear leveling and garbage collection algorithms used by ANY vendor will NEVER be 100% PERFECT. However, with Intel, if it ever becomes slow after a year of use, all you do is run to SSD Optimizer, let it finish (a minute to 1 hour) and you can reclaim the new drive performance levels immediately - no whinging on forums required!."

Then make up your own mind!

Comment

Originally posted by nightcap View Post
                    FYI, suggest you browse these:
                    http://forum.corsair.com/v3/forumdisplay.php?f=188
                    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...nd-HSDL-drives
                    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d,2783-16.html
                    http://forum.ssdworld.ch

Also I quote from an avowed Intel SSD fan:
                    "The way SandForce drives achieve 275mb/s read is by COMPRESSION. SandForce drives only have ~150mb/s performance when dealing with the vast majority of downloaded files that are already compressed (e.g. installers, zip files, video files, music files, word documents, archived databases, textures & sounds in games, installers, virus scanners, photos, DVDs. HD DVDs, Blu-Ray Discs, images, ...).
                    Superior Reliability: The current Intel SSDs are a second generation product, with all the firmware issues ironed out years ago, compared to SandForce SSDs that do not support S3 sleep (very bad situation for notebook users) and produce SMART error on some motherboards (!), not to mention the random restarts on the Corsair Force series (just have a look on their own forums), the lack of genuine TRIM support as confirmed by OCZ engineers on their own forum (they explain it is due to the proprietary way DuraClass works), and the constant issues with overprovisioning percentages and beta firmware being shipped on production drives (!!!). This is you DATA we are talking about - do you really want bleeding edge experimental and highly complex algorithms that compress and play with you data (ever wondered why HDDs are quite reliable nowadays? - because they've had over a decade of revisions where problems have been fixed and designs improved - Seagate is up to 12th generation. Intel M-series has been around for 3 years and is up to 2nd generation, Indlinx >1 year, but SandForce only 8 months - with a very small engineering team and a lack of time and resources for testing their chipsets, drives and firmware).
                    Durability In All Conditions: Intel SSDs have misalign write management (meaning performance is almost the same non 4K-aligned paritions, such as Windows XP and Mac OS X - try doing that on a SandForce!), builtin garbage collection (performance is maintained even in legacy OS like WIndows XP that have TRIM support) and fragmentation mitigation (which maintains class leading low latency access times across the life of the drive). Intel also comes with a free SSD Optimizer (part of Intel SSD Toolbox), which allows you to restore performance when using Windows XP. Mac OS X or older Linux kernels which do not have TRIM after very long periods (e.g. 18 months). With SandForce, if you lose performance, there is nothing you can do about it. Everybody knows the wear leveling and garbage collection algorithms used by ANY vendor will NEVER be 100% PERFECT. However, with Intel, if it ever becomes slow after a year of use, all you do is run to SSD Optimizer, let it finish (a minute to 1 hour) and you can reclaim the new drive performance levels immediately - no whinging on forums required!."

Then make up your own mind!
                    Too late now. I got an ssd with sandforce controller. I did lots of reading before making my choice. Until now, I never heard any complaints about sandforce.

Comment

Solved

Managed to resolve this disappearing prob from trial and error. Apparently, there's some issue with grounding the SSD. The SSD disappear whenever it touches anything metallic connected to my casing, I cannot even screw it with the 3.5" mounting that came with it. So, I decided to insulate it with non-conductive tapes and stick it on the mounts instead. This seems to work for me.

GSKILL, what's going on? How can this be??

Comment

Originally posted by sympht View Post
                        Managed to resolve this disappearing prob from trial and error. Apparently, there's some issue with grounding the SSD. The SSD disappear whenever it touches anything metallic connected to my casing, I cannot even screw it with the 3.5" mounting that came with it. So, I decided to insulate it with non-conductive tapes and stick it on the mounts instead. This seems to work for me.

I haven't yet sent mine back for RMA. I will try out what you say and see if it works for me.

Comment

short or loose cable?

A few days after I installed a new 2 TB hard drive, one of my Phoenix Pro FM-25S2S-60GBP2 failed to be recognized as a RAID drive. I tried several reboots, but no give. So, I took the side off of my CoolerMaster Cosmos and pushed in the power and SATA cables on all six of my hard drives.

When I rebooted the RAID drives were recognized once again and haven't given me any more problems (one week of successful boots).

The problem could have been a short, as the Cosmos case's right-side panel shoves up against the hard drive cables (it seems unlikely). Or the problem could have been a loose cable, as if something came loose during the hard drive install (more likely).

This same thing happened before (a loss of RAID recognition during boot). I would have to fix the problem by messing with the cables. A week later the drive died during an idle period.

grits

Comment

Originally posted by sympht View Post

Maybe that's why mine never gave me a problem. The motherboard is on the box it came in and the SSD is laying on the carpet, along with the PS and DVD drive. Month 3 of testing.

Motherboard - MSI 870A Fuzion
                            CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 555
                            Main Drive - G.Skill 120GB Phoenix Pro
                            Memory - G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 8GB 2x4
                            Video - ATI HD 5850
                            Power Supply - Corsair 550W Modular

Comment

No luck here... Tried using insulating tape - did not see a difference.
                              I can't find a way to make the disk be discovered on every boot. Currently the situation gets even worse - after a cold start the drive is not discovered and recently a restart does not fix it. I have to unplug the cables, restart, plug them again,... After a few of these iterations it is finally discovered.
                              I am getting really annoyed with this drive. Expected much higher quality for the big price I paid.

Comment

Working...
                              X