RAM for ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM for ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3?

I'm finally going to "the Darkside" with Intel!

Board ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
    CPU i5-2550K
    GPU GTX460
    DRAM ???
    I'm thinking Intel handles RAM much better than my standby AMD and I'm unsure whether to get 2 sticks or a set of 4. I would like 16GB @ 2133. Maybe to downclock and tighten timings to be better than 1866?
    Which setup would be "better", faster:
    2 X 8GB?
    4 X 4GB?
    Also unsure about the GSkill series to go with, Sniper, Ares, or RipjawsX or Z.
    Last edited by Britton30; 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM.
    I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Actually you have more options than you may think, could go 2X8GB (though if you decide to add more later, I'm sure we probably get them to work..the negatives are we might not, and 2x8GB costs more than 4c4GB.

So, if we look at 4x4GB at 2133 I suggest a CL9 set, if your going to look at the Egg, they have 3 sets as of yesterday, any of which will work fine they're all 9-11-10-28 sets and on an 1155 mobo I'd rate then 1. Snipers F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR, 2. Ares F3-2133C9Q-16GAB, 3. Ripjaws Z F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH (and oddly enough, they'll all look good with your mobo selection )

There's a few sets at CL11 that are lower priced.......but......and there's always a but here on the Dark Side, and we can do Black Magic with our CPUs and DRAM that AMD can't do.........anyway here it is, and I'll break it down using the Snipers (again Black heatsinks for the Dark Side) they have a set of 4x4GB 2133 CL11 1.6 @ $129.99 or if you want to head into the DARK, head over to the 1866 sets and take a gander at the Snipers there, 2x4GB (and think x 2) or 4x4GB, these are each $59.99 so two sets would be $119.98 - their base timings are 9-10-9.28 @ 1.5 -buying them from the Egg you basically always get consecutive sets and with those (I've done this on 4 different 1155 mobos w/ the 2500K), you can pop the 4 sticks in, manually set the freq to 2133, the timings to 10-11-10-28, 2T, set the DRAM voltage to 1.53 and raise the VCCIO to 1.13 and viola, you have a 2133/CL10 set for $120 (and with a couple I've gotten them to run at CL9. There's also an Ares set at 1866/CL9/1.5 that I've run on 2 1155s at 2133, same timings as the Snipers but DRAM voltage was at 1.54/1.55 (regardless perfectly safe). Also it may be considered Dark here because on this side the rigs really scream and the light can't keep up - with a decent heat sink you'll be able to run your rig fairly easily on air at 4.7-4.8............guess I need to go light a couple candles.........

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for all that. No with AMD I could never do anything quite so....Dark. I did get a set of Ripjaws 1600 up to 1680 once though. lol. Candles may well help.

Comment

Well soon the Force will be with you and you'll be able to venture forth and OC like a Madman!!!!

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, ended up ordering 2 of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231518 They had a 15% disc promo going on them.
          Last edited by Britton30; 04-16-2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

.........and you ordered them from the Egg? If so, more than likely will get consecutive sets so they should play well together. If from the Egg and they head out on the first truck in the AM, might hit IN on Fri.........got me thinking there (always a good thing), they have an East side distribution center, if in stock there, prob will get them Fri, if not then probably Mon

Tman

Comment

Yup from the Egg. Many times I get their orders from NJ and once or twice from a Southern state that I don't remember. I decided to pay for 2 day shipping. One free shipping order I got went from NJ to Atlanta> Missouri>Indy> then here.

I bet they will work OK....just need to apply some Jedi mind tricks. :P

Oops, forgot to say my cooler is a Hyper 212 EVO with 2 Noctua 120mm's on it. I may only need on fan though.
              Last edited by Britton30; 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Be waiting to hear how it goes, should get a delivery date by tomorrow sometime, may be evening if it goes out on an AM truck

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X