'BIOS' screen shots? (Screenshots)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'BIOS' screen shots? (Screenshots)

In a number of threads I see requests or desire for screenshots.

I get that a printer connected to the parallel port used to be useful for text based bios screen shots, but in this day and age of UEFI, I have seen no reason to believe this is possible any longer.

How are UEFI setup screenshots possible these days? Digital camera only?
    (Assume real hardware, no vm, etc.)

e.g. In my case, ASRock X68 Extreme4, UEFI, ???

Also, in prep. for posing a product selection question ... any particular shots / details provide the necessary information?

[If nothing else, at least this thread will have a useful title for searching.]

With most UEFIs you can insert a flash drive, then start up and go to BIOS. Hitting the F12 key will save an image of the screen to the flash drive, then on to another screen and the same. Prefer mobo model, latest BIOS and CPU for selection purposes and if you want/plan to OC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Confirmed - THANK YOU KINDLY!

The manual makes no such mention, however, I happened to hit F1 (Help) on the setup screen, and F12 (Print Screen) is listed there.

My first attempt resulted in "Screen Capture Status" "Can not Detect USB Storage Device".

Fortunately, I recalled coming across another post indicating the front usb ports don't work for this.

Moving my Penguin shaped usb key (gift! Nice!) [Kubuntu 12.04LTS system.] and trying again revealed:

"Screen Snapshot Succeed." "Image File is Saved in <unreadable>". (I'm guessing a double-byte font or something is used for the filename - white background, blue horizontal streaks throughout - no discernible letters.)

After boot I was able to view the .bmp files in the root directory just fine.

Moreover ... I was able to move the USB key after each screenshot and things continued to just work. Anything on the back was fine - onboard USB 2.0, USB 3.0, and back bracket equivalent to front USB ports, which don't work. (Note to self, moving usb key ok, no need to reboot between.)

Thank you again for your note.

Comment

Yep, alot of people having discovered this, just pop the drive in, boot to BIOS and go through and catch each screen in BIOS, save the images to a hard drive, etc. Then if you ever have to reset CMOS or have a bad crash, you'll know what all your 'good' settings wre

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X