X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling TRIM in Windows 7 with a Phoenix/Phoenix Pro SSD

Overview
    This paper describes how to enable TRIM in Microsoft Windows 7 using the Microsoft AHCI driver.
    The Microsoft AHCI driver v6.1.7600 Rev.16385 currently shipping with Windows 7 does not support the DSMcap (maximum supported TRIM sectors) provided by an SSD; the Windows AHCI driver uses a default value of eight sectors and the SandForce SF-1000 SSD Processor family only supports a maximum of one TRIM sector. The result is TRIM does not function on SandForce Driven SSDs in the above configuration. Without making the change in this document, the SSD may not operate at peak efficiency.

Solution
    A Windows 7 registry change will correct the issue. Detailed below are instructions for users to modify the registry and add the maximum supported TRIM sectors to support TRIM on SandForce drives using the Microsoft AHCI driver.

Note: These instructions are only valid if you are running Windows 7 under AHCI mode, and are using the Microsoft AHCI driver.

IMPORTANT: This section contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. Serious problems might occur if this is done incorrectly. Therefore, make sure you are comfortable making changes to the registry and follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. You can later restore it if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow this link to the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Instructions
    1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
    3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4. Locate and then click on the following registry sub-key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\I DE\<diskname>\<instance>\ DeviceParameters\ATAport
    The <diskname> will be seen as ?Disk???? where ??? matches the model name of the SSD being modified, like ?DiskFM-25S2S-120GBP2?(Please refer to your Device Manager.).
    The <instance> will be seen as ?5&???? where ??? stands for a registry sub-folder created when a drive is connected to the machine, like ?5&183cef87&0&3.0.0?. Note that if the same drive is connected to different ports over time, multiple instances will show up under the <diskname>. If the user is unaware of which <instance> is currently active, the registry modification needs to be applied to every <instance>.
    Please refer to the left pane of the figure below for clarification:

5. In the right pane, right-click on the blank area.
    6. Under the New submenu, select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
    7. Under the Name column type DSMDataSizeCapInBlocks.
    8. Right click on the newly created DSMDataSizeCapInBlocks and click Modify.
    9. In the Value Data box, type 1, and then click OK.
    10. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
    11. Reboot the system.
    The system will now support TRIM on the SandForce-based SSD with the Microsoft AHCI driver.

Trim and performance test
    MotherBoard Asus SABERTOOTH X58
    Cpu Core i7 920
    OS Windows 7 64bit
    Test soft CrystalDiskMark 3.0d x64
    1. Use Parted Magic to erase SSD and then install window 7.
    2. regedit Trim support.

3. Copy a lot of test files.
    Data structure (0 ~ 10K 10%; 10K ~ 100K 40%; 100K ~ 1000K 50%).
    Use SSD Space 16% to 23% and to 70%.

4. Use 70% space idle 10min.

5. Increasing use of space.
    70%~83%~90%

6. Remove the test data to use 60% capacity.

7. Delete all test files, with only the operating system.

Conclusion: Trim Command seems could stop endless drop of write performance, but it cannot restore the disappearing write performance same as the new SSD.

Comment

Thanks Admin!! looks great.

But i am affraid that i am running INTEL AHCI driver (i saw it on computer administration).

Please i have two questions regarding this:
      1- TRIM works under windows 7 and intel AHCI driver?
      2- How can I change intel driver to Microsoft driver?

thanks for your help.

Comment

How do change intel driver or Microsoft driver.

Next

Next

Next

Finish and you need reboot.

Comment

So this isn't necessary if we have Intel RST installed?

Comment

Like this... !!! Is It necessary?

Receive my best regards GSKILL

Comment

Regedit for Intel RST is not necessary. but the effect is yet to be verified.

Comment

So, regedit for MS driver is the best way to save performance on SSD phoenix pro. correct?

i have heard that new INTER RAPID STORAGE ver 9.6.0.1014 also works with TRIM correctly.
                and it supports TRIM for RAID mode!!

Thanks again GSKILL!!!
                Last edited by temu26; 12-10-2010, 04:39 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

TRIM and Intel RST??

SO if I am using the latest Intel RST driver will TRIM work without the RegEdit? I can use the native driver if better, but I think my Phoenix Pro 120GB gets better performance with the Intel driver.

Comment

Hello,
                    this is my first message in this forum so hi everybody.

I got a Phoenix Pro 120GB used with a Dell XPS 17 bought this December.
                    My Windows7 64bit driver is a Intel(r) Series 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller version 9.6.1.1014.

Do I need to enable something about TRIM as descrived in this forum thread?

Do I need to switch off other windows features as cache or file indexing?

Thank you,
                    Regards,
                    Francisco

Comment

Welcome Francisco!

No, Win 7 will detect SSD with AHCI enabled, it will automatically make those changes.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Hi all,
                        my understanding is (correct me if i am wrong), with windows 7 and latest versi?n of inter driver for AHCI mode 9.6.x.x.x.x, and with Microsoft driver....TRIM works for sure.

Previous version of inter driver have to work, but Gskill is still checking the results.

thanks

Comment

using Driver version 6.1.7600.16385

HI I am using the Nvidia Chipset Geforce 8100,I already done doing the regedit "DSMDataSizeCapInBlocks". This is my Driver version 6.1.7600.16385..I also use the latest firmware Update 3.1 of the phoenix pro SSD.

but I am not satisfied... do I need to set new things or tweak my OS further?

my read and write figures is not so good... can anyone help me? thank advance..

Comment

Hi sitchuwap

Because you have already putted DATA on this SSD, so its performance would drop.
                            This is a known issue.
                            Only zero DATA SSD can get specification performance.
                            I am sorry.

Comment

AHCI/SATA Trials and Tribulations

Thanks for this post...it finally allowed me to get my SSD on AHCI mode...I think the combination of the mobo bios and needing the additional reg edits was hampering me..

Original WEI score...7.1
                              New WEI score....7.7

Using Intel drivers...with the regedits...

going to update firmware next and secure erase...reinstall of W7
                              Intel DX58SO MoBo, Intel Core i7 940, GSkill DDR3 1600 Pi Edition running XMP Profile, GSkill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD, 1 WD 1TB Black Edition for Games/Programs, 1 1.5TB Seagate for Media Storage, 1 WD 1TB Live Drive for Backups, Corsair Obsidian 800d Case, Corsair H50 CPU Cooler, Scythe Fan Speed Controller and Fans throughout. 2X EVGA GTX570 Superclocked in SLi.

Comment

Working...
                              X