F3-1600c10d-16gao asrock z77 extreme6 intel i5-3570k not stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-1600c10d-16gao asrock z77 extreme6 intel i5-3570k not stable

I purchased all the parts from NewEgg on 05/15/2012. I initially installed OPENSUSE 12.1 and i experienced intermittent freezing with absolutely no response to keyboard / mouse. After about 10 minutes it would power off. I am not an experienced linux person so after about 2 ~ 3 weeks of trying to resolve the issue I decided to go back to Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I am seeing the same issues in Windows. Today I updated the bios from version 1.20 to 1.60 and then attempted to run memtest86. It ran for over an hour with no errors and i let it continue. When i came back 3 hours later the power was off. I restarted memtest86 and again it ran for over an hour with zero errors, however when i checked again after 30 or 40 minutes it had powered off again.

Tonight I tried to run Prime95 and the computer froze within 10 minutes. I did see that someone had a similar problem and was able to run stable without XMP at 1333. The person later was able to test with another pair of the same memory from a friend with stock settings and it was stable.

I'll repeat that process and see if i can run stable at 1333. Then the next question is if that doesn't work, I would assume that i need to test each memory stick individually in different motherboard slots, correct ?

Sincerly

Chuck Haatvedt

here are the critical errors from the last 7 days from event viewer. I did not change any of the BIOS setting when I assembled the computer. All of the bios setting are stock. I always run my systems at stock settings and have not done any overclocking.

there were 8 of these, all with exactly the same text other than the date / time.

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 6/22/2012 4:28:17 PM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: i5-3570
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-06-22T21:28:17.474810500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>9499</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>i5-3570</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Sounds like it might be DRAM but more likely a heat issue, or power fluctuation. Do you have the sticks loaded under XMP, Auto or manual....best would be XMP, simply enable XMP in BIOS and select the 1600 profile, boot and go back into BIOS, base timings should be at 10-10-10-(27-30), CR (Command Rate) at 2T or 2N and DRAM voltage at 1.5. If those aren't the timings, then they need to be set manually. Might download a program like CoreTemp and watch it while Prime runs. What OC are you running and what is the vCore, these 3570K OC great up to about 4.4 and with little to no additional voltage, from there and if you add to the vCore, temps rise fast

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

the bios is set to XMP. Using realtemp while prime95 is running with blended tests and all 4 cores are at 100%, the maximum temp is 58 degrees Centigrade.

I'm currently running with 1 stick of memory and i did get a shutdown after about 15 minutes. I'm repeating the test again to verify. Sometimes the test will run for multiple hours before failing. In all the time watching with realtemp, i've not seen the temp go over 58 degrees C.

I do not run any overclock and never will. I prefer not to do that.

all the setting in the bios are just defaults I never adjusted them.

the only change I've made in the bios is to upgrade to version 1.60

thanks,

Chuck H.

Comment

Might raise CPUVTT voltage a tad, believe it has presets, so up 1 level

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I believe we have the same problem. I experience random crashes/ shutdowns just as you describe and I believe it to be the motherboard because I also have an AsRock Z77 Extreme6.

Does this describe the problem you are having? It is a review from newegg of the board and this guy is blaming his board for it.

Packaging was a little roughed up on delivery, but no signs of damage for the actual product. During 1 month ownership, frequent crashes (avg 2 per day), no BSOD, computer would freeze and the last split second of any audio at the time would repeat. 31 days after purchase (no more RMA), entire computer just dies and refuses to boot up. Tested PSU and all the pins were at the proper voltages. Unplugged all devices except CPU and 1 stick of RAM, but still no response from motherboard, no debug indicators, no fans, nothing. Followed procedure listed by ASROCK on their responses to other 1 egg reviews, and still no sign of the motherboard receiving power.
          *Note the underlined text.

Comment

QuackzMcDuck,

On yours, do you have the latest BIOS? On the dead one you referenced, wonder if they had a bad production run and sent out flawed mobos for sale - there shouldn't be a problem with the sticks you all have running on that model mobo

Tman

Comment

I updated to the latest bios yesterday and that only made my problem more frequent. I called AsRock tech support and they had me load an XMP profile or something so we will see how that goes. I have G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 1600mhz.

Comment

Should run fine with the RJ X sticks, especially under XMP, the X line was aimed at socket 1155 (what you have)

Tman

Comment

Nope, I still have these problems. Even with the XMP profile loaded.

Comment

Have you tried running 4-5 passes (or more) of memtest on each stick individually to be sure you don't have a bad stick

Tman

Comment

Yes, I have.

Comment

Might be a bad mobo,or CPU (or something else....might check the CPU/socket for thermal compound in there or bent/broken pins (you'd be surprised how many come from the factory that way), might try different sticks if you have or can borrow some to see if same problem arises

Tman

Comment

Tradesman,

I did run prime95 and reproduced the failure (shutdown) on both sticks of memory (separate tests with a single stick installed). I also ran the test again with both sticks and it failed.

Since I don't have any other memory, I took the system into a local computer repair company and had them do a hardware diagnostic set of tests to determine the problem. The system failed with my memory but ran for over 12 with another set of memory. They repeated the tests twice with the same results, so I'm pretty confident that the memory is the issue.

I checked with NewEGG and since its over 30 days (41 to be exact) they will not do an RMA on it.

How do I go about getting the memory replaced ?

Thanks for you help

Comment

Sounds like Northern mid-west, Minnesota area? Will want to contact the US operation at rma@gskillusa.com, can get some info here:

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Might include a summary from the PC shop and/or the link to this thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...t=11031&page=2

Tman

Comment

Thanks Trademan,

I did get a response from Newegg, they may do an RMA but they want the original packaging material, which I do not have. I do have the unopened 4GB micro SD card that came with the memory. I'll wait for the response from Newegg and if they will not do the RMA, then I'll proceed to contact the RMA location for GSKILL.

There is always the potential for issues in any product. The real test of a company is how well they resolve issues when they arise. You have certainly been helpful in working with me to resolve my issue.

Thanks,

Chuck Haatvedt

You are correct, I'm in central Minnesota.

Comment

Working...
                              X