• Show
Clear All

• Ram problems/compatibility issues

I've tried 2 different mobos and 2 different pairs of ram:
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO -> Trident+ Turbulence II 16000CL9 & Flare 14400CL9D
    MSI 890FXA-GD65 -> Flare 14400CL9D

CPU: phenom II x6 1090t black
    GPU: Radeon HD 6950

I've had terrible freezing issues with my computer since I've gotten it. Constant freezing of windows and programs, BSODs, 3+ minute start up, Some games wont start because of 'insufficient memory' type errors, Downloading anything or ANY reading/writing causes huge slowdown and freezing to the point of being unusable. Windows itself took 7 hours to install.

I thought it was the ram at first, and I had tried ever BIOS config possible- then I got a new pair: same problem. Then finally got a new mobo, same exact problem- so I'm assuming its a faulty processor/memory controller and am going to try returning my cpu next.

Is it the cpu? or am I just having part compatibility problems? I really doubt part compatibility at this point though; this is costing me way too much money.

Could run Memtest on each stick individually, could also try running at strictly auto or maybe 1333 with 8-8-8-24 to see if problems persist. Check that you have the latest BIOS on the mobos. Could well be the CPU just can't handle the DRAM of 1800 through 2133 (some can't) or it's possible it's just going to take some extreme BIOS adjustments (i.e. high DRAM, CPU/NB, vCore voltages to get there....AMD MCs aren't real strong

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

so any suggestions that I hadn't tried 2 months ago when I got the thing?
      Last edited by Brick; 09-11-2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Could be a defective 1090T, but very unlikely.
        What make & model PSU are you using?
        Have you updated both boards bios?
        MSI and ASUS EVO boards are notorious for having memory issues.

If I had to chose from the two, go with the MSI board with the 890 chipset.
        Completely clear the CMOS by removing mobo battery and moving the CMOS jumper pin to "short or clear" for a min. 20 minutes.
        Start with the Flare set, do not shoot for 1800MHz right away, it will require some special tweaking.
        May want to start with 1333 with CL8 timings, then move to 1600 with CL9 timings.
        Run memtest on each stick individually, if ok, then run some system stress programs.
        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
        Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
        SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
        Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
        Corsair HX850W Modular
        Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
        2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Working...
        X